SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

Anyone else feel that shift back to the normal pushover und football we thought we broke away from? Got spanked by the rival, have a few new key injuries, moral fell hard, and now losing a needed game off the schedule. 5-2 with a loss to 1-4 YSU or misery state would put them on the fence for even making the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I agree that Otis should have been used more but how long do you think he can sustain being in the backfield 75% of the time?

We need him to get 20-25 carries and run PA with him in the game.  TD throw and the throw before the TD were affected by his presence on the field.

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Anyone else feel that shift back to the normal pushover und football we thought we broke away from? Got spanked by the rival, have a few new key injuries, moral fell hard, and now losing a needed game off the schedule. 5-2 with a loss to 1-4 YSU or misery state would put them on the fence for even making the playoffs. 

Nope. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

No.  This team is different than past teams.  So is the NDSU team.   Should have won on Saturday.

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I need to see next week. I’m not feeling like this currently. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Let's see how they respond this Saturday. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We need him to get 20-25 carries and run PA with him in the game.  TD throw and the throw before the TD were affected by his presence on the field.

I totally agree that he should have had more than 13 touches. My thing is we cannot rely him to be in there 75% of the time because that creates two issues:

1) predictability...he has issues catching the ball so we can't really use him there until proven otherwise

2) That much usage is a recipe for injuries. 

Yes, he should have been used more on Saturday.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

I totally agree that he should have had more than 13 touches. My thing is we cannot rely him to be in there 75% of the time because that creates two issues:

1) predictability...he has issues catching the ball so we can't really use him there until proven otherwise

2) That much usage is a recipe for injuries. 

Yes, he should have been used more on Saturday.

Otis is a playmaker and our only threat to score on any play.  We NEED him in on 1st down and 2nd and short and take some PA shots.   A few plays he was lined up in the slot, no idea why.  I'm sure NDSU was ecstatic he got 13 carries.   Otis was in the game the for both of our TD drives.

Not having playoffs is a bad take. Why did we play at all then this spring if there is no "end game" that means anything? UND has a legit chance to win there last two games, get in the playoffs and WIN THEIR FIRST D1 PLAYOFF GAME. I don't care how that happens, when it happens it shows we are no longer a ho hum average football program. Especially this being our first year in the MVFC. Didn't everyone just rip on Ill. State for calling there season yesterday?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

You keep saying this, but every single indicator and stat disagrees.  Why exactly do you think UND should have won?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but what I think he means is that we should have taken advantage of the situation and performed better to enable us to win.  It was a lost opportunity in our minds.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but what I think he means is that we should have taken advantage of the situation and performed better to enable us to win.  It was a lost opportunity in our minds.

Fair enough, but has a quite different meaning than "we should have won".

2 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Sometimes it's hard to convey through written text how you'd actually say something out loud with all of its verbal inflections.  I can hear what I think he's trying to convey in my mind. But yes, a straight "We should have won" doesn't really fly given the evidence that proves otherwise. 

18 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Agreed, don't want to put words in his mouth, but I assume it was based on how UND had played thus far, and how NDSU had played thus far.

Though different teams seemed to show up. It was a different UND team and a different NDSU team on Saturday. One played to win, and one didn't. That being said, I would be really interested to see these two team meet in the playoffs. I would have to imagine you would seem a different look that this past Saturday. That being said, short of our D-Line drinking some Moo Juice and growing overnight, I don't know how they would stop the run.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, don't want to put words in his mouth, but I assume it was based on how UND had played thus far, and how NDSU had played thus far.

Though different teams seemed to show up. It was a different UND team and a different NDSU team on Saturday. One played to win, and one didn't. That being said, I would be really interested to see these two team meet in the playoffs. I would have to imagine you would seem a different look that this past Saturday. That being said, short of our D-Line drinking some Moo Juice and growing overnight, I don't know how they would stop the run.

Its really hard to tell which version of any FCS team will show up this year.  Everyone has been all over the place.

38 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

You keep saying this, but every single indicator and stat disagrees.  Why exactly do you think UND should have won?

UND had poor game plan and didn’t adjust.  IMO UND blew a great opportunity and NDSU made the plays.  Hopefully get a 2nd Chance this spring.