SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Doubt an offensive guard on this team would have the tenacity and mindset to do anything measurable on defense. Need to recruit better defensive linemen and keep building the culture. Hate to say it, but the defensive linemen room culture is not where it needs to be yet. Need bigger, nastier guys on the defensive line at UND.

As for Hergel, he’s the exception to this. He is definitely nasty. UND needs 4 more like him on the line and the same mindset on defensive line. Couple times last week Hergel was blocking NDSU defenders into the bench. He has the mindset of a champion. 

Correct. We need more assholes. Way more.

• Upvote 3

So obviously UND needs to take care of business and beat both Youngtown and Misery St.

Apart from that the biggest game we would be pulling for is SDSU again NDSU right? Obviously USD or UNI over the Bison would work too. Not that I care if NDSU makes the playoffs or not, but I would like to see UND get in, and get a high enough see to have home field advantage.

We would own a 1 loss tie breaker over SDSU, and it would put NDSU at 2 losses. Am I correct on this?

A Southern Illinois win this weekend would also put Misery St. at 2 losses.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So obviously UND needs to take care of business and beat both Youngtown and Misery St.

Apart from that the biggest game we would be pulling for is SDSU again NDSU right? Obviously USD or UNI over the Bison would work too. Not that I care if NDSU makes the playoffs or not, but I would like to see UND get in, and get a high enough see to have home field advantage.

We would own a 1 loss tie breaker over SDSU, and it would put NDSU at 2 losses. Am I correct on this?

A Southern Illinois win this weekend would also put Misery St. at 2 losses.

Yes a big weekend UND needs this game against YSU.  We lose and drop below 15 place in polls.  Wish 2 loses.  Nothing else matters.  A UND 5-2 doesn't make the playoffs.  A 6-2 does but that is out the window now.  Our biggest game is Saturday.  YSU is playing tough.  We need to prove we can win on the road again.

• Upvote 1

From reading here in this thread it appears some think we have a bunch of wimpy offensive lineman. I don’t know any of them but I find that awful hard to believe.
Our offensive lineman just don’t have the mindset to play defense - just aren’t wired correctly - again, I find that hard to believe. I would like to believe that our young men have a lot of pride and we could find one who could clog up the middle on d.

what are the alternatives for nose tackle? 

37 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

From reading here in this thread it appears some think we have a bunch of wimpy offensive lineman. I don’t know any of them but I find that awful hard to believe.
Our offensive lineman just don’t have the mindset to play defense - just aren’t wired correctly - again, I find that hard to believe. I would like to believe that our young men have a lot of pride and we could find one who could clog up the middle on d.

We have injuries.  No sure we want to switch an offense lineman to defense in mid stream

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I believe SDSU will also avoid Illinois State. So if they beat the Bison, we could both be 6-1.  We’d have the head to head, no idea if that would win the conference or be shared.  

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

You think the idea of moving an offensive lineman to the D-line is novel and has not already been considered by UND's coaches? Of course it has been considered, just not done because UND does not have any offensive linemen capable of making that move and being overly effective. 

Not sure where the word "wimpy" was used to describe UND's offensive line, but that is not a great descriptor at all. UND's 2021 offensive line is the best it has had in years, but that does not mean they are where they need to be yet. As for the defensive line, this 2021 group is serviceable but needs to be better. Coming off the recent NDSU game,  it is easy to make that argument. NDSU dominated at the line of scrimmage and it was the key difference in the game. UND needs to keep getting better at the line of scrimmage, but they are improved this season compared to previous. 

Could you take an offensive lineman and insert him at Nose?  Probably...  Would it be successful?   it could... But from experience, I will say that they are two different mindsets, and two distinctly different skill sets.  Our nose position is the only position on the D-line that has two gap responsibility.  They are also involved with many different games/twists on the line.   Taking someone and giving them 3 practices at the nose position before a game may make them somewhat serviceable, but I'm not overly sure they would be effective.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I still would have loved that spot for a new on campus stadium. Not that there is money for that, but still. 

In a perfect world where money was not an issue, it would be a slam dunk to build a state-of-the-art on-campus football stadium there for UND. Would really get the community, campus, and beyond excited about football. 

But Memorial Village is a fine consolation prize. Will help the football program immensely to have dedicated modern football coaches offices, weight rooms, study rooms, meeting rooms, etc. I don’t think some realize just how important modern football facilities (beyond just where you play) are to recruiting student-athletes these days. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ask me Saturday night. ;) 

Yes, I know we'll know the answer then.  But how do feel now?  I'm thinking there's quite a bit of hesitation on if we're capable of getting over the hump.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Break it down to rebuild it better. 

I was a little disappointed they started the tear down the week leading up to the NDSU game.  It kind of felt symbolic in a way, and now we know why.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yes, I know we'll know the answer then.  But how do feel now?  I'm thinking there's quite a bit of hesitation on if we're capable of getting over the hump.

I may sound like a broken record here, but UND needs to be mentally-sound against Youngstown State to get the win. YSU won’t embarrass UND up front like NDSU did, so UND just needs to avoid turnovers and penalties.

If UND plays mentally sharp and does that, they should get the win. If UND fails to do that, then I think this team - along with the coaching staff - is just too immature to yet be a top 10 program and the polls will rightfully reflect that. 

My gut feeling is this program will have their “tail between their legs” and disappoint us.

Hope Bubba and the boys prove me wrong. Can’t let NDSU loss get in UND’s head and account for two loses, not just one. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I still would have loved that spot for a new on campus stadium. Not that there is money for that, but still. 

It would have to be a dome or some sort of super-protected outdoor stadium, both of which make any sort of cost even more prohibitive. Not saying it still coulnd't be done, integrating the current and new pieces, but I think the ship has mostly sailed minus some sort of crazy donation down the road. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

It would have to be a dome or some sort of super-protected outdoor stadium, both of which make any sort of cost even more prohibitive. Not saying it still coulnd't be done, integrating the current and new pieces, but I think the ship has mostly sailed minus some sort of crazy donation down the road. 

It literally can’t be done.

Watching su run on us and we couldn’t stop it was ugly. I was hoping we were over that. My understanding is that we have one healthy nose guard. What are we going to do so that we don’t get run over this Saturday? Who is the 2nd nose guard? I hope he is over 260 pounds? Or are we ok with a lighter nose guard?

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Watching su run on us and we couldn’t stop it was ugly. I was hoping we were over that. My understanding is that we have one healthy nose guard. What are we going to do so that we don’t get run over this Saturday? Who is the 2nd nose guard? I hope he is over 260 pounds? Or are we ok with a lighter nose guard?

Offense needs to get back on track.  Get that going again.  

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Offense needs to get back on track.  Get that going again.  

Agreed.  I think part of the reason the defense looked bad was because of how much they played, and the offense is to blame for that.  I don't why the offense was so anemic on Saturday.  It didn't look like we had a very good offensive game plan.  I hope Danny's had a chance to clear his head, because up until then, our offense was dictating football games.