SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicholls St., Round 1

bincitysioux

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

The Alerus isn't free to use? Really? Thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious.  I'm sure everyone on this site needed you to clarify that.

.......and I hope you are not insinuating that having a facility that has indoor plumbing, has a roof and has climate controlled settings is a detriment/liability to the bidding process.

It was meant as a jab at Nicholls St, who owns their facility, except for the tents and "facilities" they need to rent, meaning their overhead is lower.

I'd be really curious to see what the other bids were. Originally I would have guessed UNI would be the only ones to outbid us but wouldn't be surprised if SELA threw out a pretty big number as well considering they are hosting Villanova. 

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It was meant as a jab at Nicholls St, who owns their facility, except for the tents and "facilities" they need to rent, meaning their overhead is lower.

I'd be really curious to see what the other bids were. Originally I would have guessed UNI would be the only ones to outbid us but wouldn't be surprised if SELA threw out a pretty big number as well considering they are hosting Villanova. 

I get the overhead part as well. UND's facilities are what they are....which are better than most. Chaves should know those logistics and financials for potentially hosting a FB game at UND....which is different than EWU . Maybe he figured he had this figured out when he submitted the bid. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

Would be very interested in all the other bids as well.

$15 per expected head in attendance is precedent for an aggressive bid, as James Madison bid $200K to host this game:

http://jmusports.com/sports/football/stats/2014/liberty/boxscore/10256

Looks like Chaves came in at about $10 if you project 7,500.  Armchair AD here, maybe about $90K would have been around the appropriate number.  Not sure how the Alerus expenses would compare to JMU's facilities.   

18 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

Chaves publicly hyped his bid and then had it beat in the first round. Honestly it's a pathetic look but oh well, still a game to play. Point is, less talk more action.

I believe TM hyped it up in a Herald article I read online.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I believe TM hyped it up in a Herald article I read online.

At the fan luncheon Chaves went on a whole spiel about how the playoff and bidding process works and said that we bid more than the minimum. Not saying that he hyped it up like a lock though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Chaves used the max the university could authorize ($50K) and then went out and found another $25K.  It is likely that our bid was among the highest but simply wasn’t higher than Nichols. What more did you want him to do?  Did you contribute?

So you are telling me that the AD of the supposed flagship university didnt get this approved ahead of time? Or are you telling me that the supposed flagship university would only approve

50k to bring a playoff game to your campus?  I find this to be incredible.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bison73 said:

So you are telling me that the AD of the supposed flagship university didnt get this approved ahead of time? Or are you telling me that the supposed flagship university would only approve

50k to bring a playoff game to your campus?  I find this to be incredible.

Which part? The one where he has a budget to work with? I know fiscal responsibly isn't a required course in fargo but.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Which part? The one where he has a budget to work with? I know fiscal responsibly isn't a required course in fargo but.... 

Oh please. LOL  So your administration didnt think you could pull in more than 50K $$$ in attendance. Hell 8k at 30.00 gets you 240k. Or doesnt your AD know how to make that presentation????

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Oh please. LOL  So your administration didnt think you could pull in more than 50K $$$ in attendance. Hell 8k at 30.00 gets you 240k. Or doesnt your AD know how to make that presentation????

1. Tickets are only $25. 

2. Student tickets are $5 for playoff games, further reducing the average. 

3. We'd be very hard pressed to get 8k to a game this weekend between Thanksgiving, the hockey series in Minneapolis, and expected inclement weather. 

4. The Alerus charges UND to use the facility and takes most if not all the concessions and parking $ on top of that. The REA might take a cut of ticket sales for a playoff game as well. 

So I'm pretty sure the AD did make that presentation, just without the incorrect numbers. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

This board has the most arm chair coaches and arm chair athletic directors in the NCAA. UND submitted a very substantial bid, time and resources were spent getting donors, in the end we were matched up with a team that bet the farm to host a game. The reality is our fan base has not shown that much support for big games and with a 2-game hockey series in Minnesota combined with the Saturday after Thanksgiving the table was set for low fan turnout. Now some are questioning Chaves - if you've ever met the guy you know he's on the ball. Let the trolls do the trolling not our own fan base. 

We lost a home playoff game over a few thousand dollars.  If UND expects to be in the playoffs every year, why isn't it in the football budget to begin with?  The bid UND placed would basically allow UND to at least break even.  With a 4 million dollar budget, I think it would be wise to spend a few thousand on a home game, because it would help to build hype around town and give the team a better chance to win.  And we only have 5 per year as it is!  I think the criticism is completely fair here.  Even if UND bid at like 110K, most of the money would be recovered by ticket sales anyway.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Met him.  Doesn't mean he didn't go chicken sh*t on this issue.  It was his real first chance to show that something other than hockey matters and he didn't do it. 

It's the F-CKING PLAYOFFS, a once in every 3-4 year chance to host a game and he didn't go all in in.  He put in a calculated bid - that's not doing whatever it takes to support the program. So now they need to fly to Timbuktu and dress in tents.  

I couldnt agree more. And Im not saying that to bust your chops. You guys made the playoffs and he didnt put you in a position to be successful. You could have been playing at home.

If this would have been hockey they would have robbed the vault.

• Upvote 3

Just heard about this tent and Green Acres potty and shower setup, holy balls. They shouldn't be allowed to bid a playoff game with those "facilities" for the visiting team, that's not good enough for the second season even if they are working on a solution next year. Supposed to rain there Saturday too it sounds like, that probably won't help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

This board has the most arm chair coaches and arm chair athletic directors in the NCAA. UND submitted a very substantial bid, time and resources were spent getting donors, in the end we were matched up with a team that bet the farm to host a game. The reality is our fan base has not shown that much support for big games and with a 2-game hockey series in Minnesota combined with the Saturday after Thanksgiving the table was set for low fan turnout. Now some are questioning Chaves - if you've ever met the guy you know he's on the ball. Let the trolls do the trolling not our own fan base. 

So you are saying that Hockey in Minneapolis was a factor in Chaves hanging the football team out to dry.  Because Thanksgiving hasn't changed in hundreds of years so that's the only variable I can spot.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Did Chaves get called on his bluff that the only university of the 15 other universities to possibly host and outbid UND would be Nicholls? Seems from this link their minimum bar was already set at $80K going into the bids for this year. Again we don't know what any of the other schools bids were but we do know $80k >>>$75k + gfhockey's pocket change.

If Shawn-O can go to the Google to find this nugget........  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Did Chaves get called on his bluff that the only university of the 15 other universities to possibly host and outbid UND would be Nicholls? Seems from this link their minimum bar was already set at $80K going into the bids for this year. Again we don't know what any of the other schools bids were but we do know $80k >>>$75k + gfhocky's pocket change.

If Shawn-O can go the the Google to find this nugget........  

A team dressing in tents in the parking lot should be a bar from a bid.. https://seamoresports.com/2019/11/26/vent-about-a-tent-und-football-opinion/