SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicholls St., Round 1

bincitysioux

Just now, Siouxperman8 said:

I'm guessing he had some limitations on what we could bid.  The good news is that you can fix this next time by yourself.   Step up.

I ask you again - what is the number you think we should have bid?  $100k - would that have been enough?  Maybe $200k.

Again hindsight is a wonderful tool if all you want to do is bitch.

#apatheticlemming

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Given the TM article pumping up UNDs bid, Chaves should have been humiliated when it was announced they were going on the road. @UND1983 the part you put in bold is a huge deal. IMO it makes it so much worse than I originally thought. 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Really? Chaves knows a number that won just last year and he bids below it by $5K. Unfortunately, most of my frustrations surround the Herald article pumping up the bid (when it was lower than a # that has won in the past). I think he looks like a complete clown. 

We have a good bingo...……...

• Like 1

Just now, AJS said:

Really? Chaves knows a number that won just last year and he bids below it by $5K. Unfortunately, most of my frustrations surround the Herald article pumping up the bid (when it was lower than a # that has won in the past). I think he looks like a complete clown. 

Did he have any limitations from the school?   Did he tap what he could from donors and did he have any more room?  he also didn't know we would be paired with Nichols 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Given the TM article pumping up UNDs bid, Chaves should have been humiliated when it was announced they were going on the road. @UND1983 the part you put in bold is a huge deal. IMO it makes it so much worse than I originally thought. 

No one knew who they were going to play.  The thought from all of the "experts" was that UND would play SIU or UNI.  I don't think anyone expected to be playing Nicholls.  So Chavez thought he was bidding against different teams not Nicholls. 

It will make the victory even more sweet!

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Did he have any limitations from the school?   Did he tap what he could from donors and did he have any more room?  he also didn't know we would be paired with Nichols 

This is why I asked the question a few times about the University authorizing up to 50k.   Do other schools have similar limitations? 

Did the athletic directors from other schools need to find as many extra dollars the way Chaves attempted to?

Do some schools have university  authorization up to 75K?   So they would only need $3.75 from their #gobc to match the effort Chaves put in?

I can’t put the blame on Chaves without knowing the constraints or lack there of from the other universities.  

It’s tremendous that individuals will chip in, but I feel the university itself needs to show its commitment to football by upping that $50,000 mark in the future 

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

4 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

No one knew who they were going to play.  The thought from all of the "experts" was that UND would play SIU or UNI.  I don't think anyone expected to be playing Nicholls.  So Chavez thought he was bidding against different teams not Nicholls. 

It will make the victory even more sweet!

In the past they've set up very easy to use ways to donate to specific programs through the athletic website. I'm genuinely wondering in situations like this bid, why they wouldn't do something like that. Send out an email to the Champions Club and explain the situation. I know I would have donated like $50 and I'm sure others would have as well. I never received an email asking if I'd be interested in helping. 

I don't want to become a broken record and it's over at this point, when you have access to information (like what has won in the past) and you bid just below that, I just genuinely don't understand it. 

9 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Again - what was the right number?   Pick one.

Here are my bonifides regarding UND football and UND as an institution.  If this is apathy let me please let me know how I change that.

• Attending UND games for 50+ years
  • UND grad and football letter winner
  • 4 season tickets - I believe you said you were going to cancel yours this year
  • 4 season tailgate spots
  • drive 10+ hours round trip for every fb home game
  • fly to 1 fb road game a year 
  • watch every fb road game I don't attend if its available, I listen if I can't get it
  • Champions club member
  • actively involved in on-campus recruiting of UND students for my employer and have mentored a few fb players who are in my field
  • Chairman of an advisory board for my discipline at UND

I am really disappointed we aren't at home too and I wish we would have bid more.  I'm just not willing to throw Chaves and the athletic dept under the bus for a blind bid that didn't win.

It's been beaten to death. Anyone who can navigate Google could have found out what Nicholls bid last year will minimum effort. Even if finding just that info through one's due diligence it should conclude that if your bid is serious it HAS to be more than $80K + because there is the possibility that UND might get Nicholls as a playoff draw and they aren't going to bid less this year......even if you know nothing else!

Goodness.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

It's been beaten to death. Anyone who can navigate Google could have found out what Nicholls bid last year will minimum effort. Even if finding just that info through one's due diligence it should conclude that if your bid is serious it HAS to be more than $80K + because there is the possibility that UND might get Nicholls as a playoff draw and they aren't going to bid less this year......even if you know nothing else!

Goodness.

Just don't insult me by calling me apathetic.   My goddamn Apple Watch went off 6 times during the UNC game to warn me that my heart rate had spiked and I was stationary. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Did Chaves go "toe-to-toe" with the other athletic directors?

It's quite apparent that the fans on this board are more than happy with putting in a satisfactory, competitive bid and not going all out to win.  

There was ONE CHANCE to get a home game this year and he screwed it up.  That's undeniable.

He didn’t screw anything up. All you needed to do was contact him and pledge $10,000.  He and his staff worked hard to obtain pledges.  What the hell did you do???  When did you ever go “all out to win”.  I’m guessing he based his bid on past years. Nicholls State probably had someone like you write a check rather than   do nothing but criticize. Too many people on this board keep waiting for someone else to step up to the plate.  Going to games when we are winning is important. Supporting the program when it is needed most is more important. We can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. Your undo criticism after the fact is part of the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Explain these donor pledges to me:  Are they meant to cover any shortfalls if the revenue from attendance/concessions doesn't meet the NCAA required number?  I assume they aren't donated before the game but are pledged for afterwards, correct?  

Exactly. 

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Goodness.

Goodness, it's called hedging your bet.   If there are 16 teams........and if you bid....say 20k higher than 14 of them....but one team you know might put in a really high bid but it is unlikely you play them......you don't put that high Bid in on the off chance you get matched up with that one team.  These bids were put in weeks ago, I don't recall one person ever thinking that we'd be matched up with Nichols.  He hedge his bet....and lost.  Thank god somebody started a new thread where we talk football.  Not coming back to this one again, it's depressing. 

8 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Let me clarify that. The pledges were to augment whatever UND was putting in. 

I appreciate the clarification but am still wondering how this works in reality.  Seems like Chaves really thought attendance was going to LOW, like historically low.  

39 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Just don't insult me by calling me apathetic.   My goddamn Apple Watch went off 6 times during the UNC game to warn me that my heart rate had spiked and I was stationary. :)

Fair enough.....my apologies.

We don't need to get into dick measuring of bonifides, credentials.......or W-2s. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I appreciate the clarification but am still wondering how this works in reality.  Seems like Chaves really thought attendance was going to LOW, like historically low.  

I agree the math doesn't seem to add up. 

What I don't know is how much student tickets affect the $$, what the expenses are to rent the Alerus and if REA would get their customary 52%.  52% off the top would really put a crimp on the dollars available.

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

And based on history, he's probably right.

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I agree the math doesn't seem to add up. 

What I don't know is how much student tickets affect the $$, what the expenses are to rent the Alerus and if REA would get their customary 52%.  52% off the top would really put a crimp on the dollars available.

These are the exact questions that need to be answered and probably shed a ton of light on why the bid was put in where it was. Based on UND's bid, the NCAA would have been paid $75K after all of UND's expenses were paid. Without knowing what makes that up, pretty hard to make an actual judgement of the situation.

Regardless, I'd be willing to bet it was a top 3-5 bid for the first round without much doubt. UNI is the only one that was likely higher for sure. Who knows where SELA was, not sure if there is truth to the Southland putting in money to help raise bids of member schools.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This is why I asked the question a few times about the University authorizing up to 50k.   Do other schools have similar limitations? 

Did the athletic directors from other schools need to find as many extra dollars the way Chaves attempted to?

Do some schools have university  authorization up to 75K?   So they would only need $3.75 from their #gobc to match the effort Chaves put in?

I can’t put the blame on Chaves without knowing the constraints or lack there of from the other universities.  

It’s tremendous that individuals will chip in, but I feel the university itself needs to show its commitment to football by upping that $50,000 mark in the future 

Someone commented that the REA can't chip in?  Is that accurate?  Wouldn't investing in the football program a little bit help with their return?  Maybe they did offer up some money?