SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicholls St., Round 1

bincitysioux

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Chaves should be embarrassed and reprimanded for such a pathetic bid.  75K.....WTF?

Chaves used the max the university could authorize ($50K) and then went out and found another $25K.  It is likely that our bid was among the highest but simply wasn’t higher than Nichols. What more did you want him to do?  Did you contribute?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In the future, could UND "sell" tickets for a first round playoff game as part of the season ticket package and then refund the amount if we don't host a game (similar to what I believe is done with hockey tickets)?  This could give UND a guaranteed available amount and make the bidding process less risky.....

Like it.........how many season tickets were purchased this season out of curiosity?

Or would the university look at the potential administrative work to process the refunds roughly 2 out of every 3 years too laborious?

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In the future, could UND "sell" tickets for a first round playoff game as part of the season ticket package and then repay the amount if we don't host a game (similar to what I believe is done with hockey tickets)?  This could give UND a guaranteed available amount and make the bidding process less risky.....

Not a bad idea but there would’ve been bitching about that (especially from people who are on this website). Lots of complaining - not much evidence the whiners are doing anything to help!!

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Chaves should be embarrassed and reprimanded for such a pathetic bid.  75K.....WTF?

This number isn’t completely relevant unless all the bids are made public.  What if this is the 2nd highest bid of all teams playing in the first round?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

This number isn’t completely relevant unless all the bids are made public.  What if this is the 2nd highest bid of all teams playing in the first round?

It's relevant cause UND is dressing in tents.

27 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Unless you can show that you were advocating for a specific number higher than that before the bids were sent in, that's a crappy take.  Do you call out Jeopardy contestants for their wager AFTER the Final Jeopardy clue is revealed, too?

1 minute ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Unfortunately OUR bid didn’t include fine print of $5,000 for “BYOT” (will bring our own tents credit)  to beat their $80K... I checked weather...  and luckily winds will be “mild”  Sat.....                       #feelingdisrespected  #BRING IT

GO Hawks !!!!!

7B1A7043-A1C1-4B5F-AF41-4CA1E563B896.gif

I think Bubba was in that tent.  Ouch!

4 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Unless you can show that you were advocating for a specific number higher than that before the bids were sent in, that's a crappy take.  Do you call out Jeopardy contestants for their wager AFTER the Final Jeopardy clue is revealed, too?

You know what you are if you shoot -2 in a match play golf event that has 15 other matches and your score is the second lowest of all golfers in the field except your opponent shots -5 to beat beat you?  You're a loser.....you're not in second place. 

11 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Not a bad idea but there would’ve been bitching about that (especially from people who are on this website). Lots of complaining - not much evidence the whiners are doing anything to help!!

Don't force season ticket purchasers to buy a playoff ticket, just give the option.  Heck, even make it clear that they can still purchase their normal seat for the playoff game after UND has already made it, but that the pre-purchase can help UND in its bid.  Seems like a win/win to me, but you're probably right. 

Attendance Thanksgiving weekend is tough to gamble on.  I know I wouldn't have made it, but probably would've bought a ticket as part of my season tickets anyway.

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Or would the university look at the potential administrative work to process the refunds roughly 2 out of every 3 years too laborious?

REA handles season tickets.  I say make them earn their 52% :glare:

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Chaves used the max the university could authorize ($50K) and then went out and found another $25K.  It is likely that our bid was among the highest but simply wasn’t higher than Nichols. What more did you want him to do?  Did you contribute?

Can that 50k max be changed for the future?  Or is that set in stone?

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Times $20 per ticket.........bingo

Just to clarify, the Alerus Center isn't free (and it apparently costs a hell of a lot more than renting a tent and some mobile showers/bathrooms). 

UND didn't slap a number together and call it good. Plenty of time was spent putting it together. They bid the max they knew they would be able to cover, after expenses, which included raising funds to increase it 50% more than UND originally authorized and 2.5x the minimum bid for the round. There were people who stepped to the plate to cover shortfalls that could have happened, which is pretty damn common in the Thanksgiving weekend games.

37 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

First off, eat a fat bag.  2nd, he knows what bids go for and have gone for in the past and still came in under.

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just to clarify, the Alerus Center isn't free (and it apparently costs a hell of a lot more than renting a tent and some mobile showers/bathrooms). 

UND didn't slap a number together and call it good. Plenty of time was spent putting it together. They bid the max they knew they would be able to cover, after expenses, which included raising funds to increase it 50% more than UND originally authorized and 2.5x the minimum bid for the round. There were people who stepped to the plate to cover shortfalls that could have happened, which is pretty damn common in the Thanksgiving weekend games.

The Alerus isn't free to use? Really? Thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious.  I'm sure everyone on this site needed you to clarify that.

.......and I hope you are not insinuating that having a facility that has indoor plumbing, has a roof and has climate controlled settings is a detriment/liability to the bidding process.

16 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So is Nicholls "authorized" to come in higher than 50K by their University?  Where did that stupid number come from?

Obviouy their AD was authorized too.

I’m also wondering where the $5OK  came from and why. Does the REA contract payment for tickets result in restricting UND playoff bids? 

Also, hosting home playoff games in the FCS is big for recruiting, both in getting potential recruits to game and for use in recruiting generally. Seems like bid amount should factor those benefits into the equation.

• Upvote 2

I would love for the AD to underbid a hockey event and lose.  Wouldn't ever happen but it would be interesting to see the reaction.  

Great way to help build the football program - they make the playoffs and then proceed to lose a home bid to a regional Southland school.  Really got all hands on deck!  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Unfortunately OUR bid didn’t include fine print of $5,000 for “BYOT” (will bring our own tents credit)  to beat their $80K... I checked weather...  and luckily winds will be “mild”  Sat.....                       #feelingdisrespected  #BRING IT

GO Hawks !!!!!

7B1A7043-A1C1-4B5F-AF41-4CA1E563B896.gif

So this is our MASH playoff tent? Yup MASH playoffs....