SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU GDT

F'n Hawks

8 minutes ago, TBR said:

In the first quarter we had what...seven or eight penalties in a span of just a few minutes of game time. I thought never have I seen a team so unprepared and uninspired to play football. Nothing over the next couple hours changed my mind. 

In every sports when players lose focus and penalties start to add up.  Coaching need to call time out and establish focus again.  An opportunity was missed to do that.

5 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

In every sports when players lose focus and penalties start to add up.  Coaching need to call time out and establish focus again.  An opportunity was missed to do that.

UND didn't have enough timeouts for that from what I witnessed

Seriously you’d think that the world was ending or something. Everyone take your meds and it’ll be alright.   It was a bad day.  Bad day.  Perhaps our expectations vs investment are not realistic.   We don’t have the credibility of NDSU, the facility’s of SDSU, we are located in one of the flattest desolate football locations in the country in a town where the only thing people really care about is Hockey. Not an easy sell.  I don’t disagree that there is blame, but if you have ever coached, you can prepare, motivate, push all you want, the bottom line is these are young men and they need to execute. The coaches are not the ones out there.  Players make plays. I don’t know that we got out coached, cause none of us know the game plan. But we got outplayed and led, on the field. That is on the captains and players. 

It was ISU’s homecoming coming off an embarrassing loss and they have confidence playing us. I am surprised everyone on here is shocked they went off on us. 

The season is not lost yet. Let’s see how they respond first.  They responded well after the last loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

18 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Seriously you’d think that the world was ending or something. Everyone take your meds and it’ll be alright.   It was a bad day.  Bad day.  Perhaps our expectations vs investment are not realistic.   We don’t have the credibility of NDSU, the facility’s of SDSU, we are located in one of the flattest desolate football locations in the country in a town where the only thing people really care about is Hockey. Not an easy sell.  I don’t disagree that there is blame, but if you have ever coached, you can prepare, motivate, push all you want, the bottom line is these are young men and they need to execute. The coaches are not the ones out there.  Players make plays. I don’t know that we got out coached, cause none of us know the game plan. But we got outplayed and led, on the field. That is on the captains and players. 

It was ISU’s homecoming coming off an embarrassing loss and they have confidence playing us. I am surprised everyone on here is shocked they went off on us. 

The season is not lost yet. Let’s see how they respond first.  They responded well after the last loss.

In addition to what others already responded, I don’t think the claim of UND being a tough sell to recruits holds water when you compare to ISU.  Their football stadium is a twin brother of the valley city winter show building.  

• Upvote 4

If a player thinks UND is a tough place to go to do you really want that player

its all about the quality of the program, if it’s good they will come here, just like hockey, aviation 

our quality sucks right now 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

It is on the coaches to change the mediocrity culture by instilling it in the players here, and by recruiting players with the right attitude.  NDSU has a culture that they aren’t going to lose any game.  UND wins a big game at home and becomes satisfied. They need to recruit players and leaders that are going to help self police the team against those letdowns.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Feff said:

Giving up 55 and only scoring 20, yup, definitely didn't get outcoached. Coaches obviously had the perfect gameplan.

Every aspect of that game yesterday was embarrassing. I have no faith in this staff, there is no fire, the team gets hit in the mouth and they give up. That's a direct reflection of the head coach. Bubba is a nice guy, I like the guy, but all that said, he's not getting it done and this needs to be his last season. Get new blood and the potential for improvement.

But in Bubba’s big locker room speech in the day by day series, “There is nothing out there that they can’t handle”. Maybe they think he said “can” handle.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

This is just another one of the patterns we see that concerns most fans.  There has been plenty of time to learn from mistakes and overly conservative tactics, but they always seem to rear their ugly heads again, and many times the following week.  I agree, there is still time to make a run, but does anyone have faith that it will amount to anything with the current mindset.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've always been a Schmidt guy, buy you are absolutely right.  Giving up 55 and making their QB look like a Heisman candidate can't happen.  

If we can’t consistently recruit the personnel to effectively run the 3-4 defense, that strategy needs to be examined.   Our first string dline looks outmatched, it’s even worse when the 2nd string is in.  Frustrating all around.  

• Upvote 2

We need to recruit big old fashion farm boys again, seems to work down south

why we had players lose weight seems to be biting us in the gut

i hope some of our recruits are saying when I get there these things won’t happen instead of saying why am I going there

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

The QB should be one of your more respected players......

Was it Patrick Rooney that scored the touchdown against Davis?  When everyone else was all over him congratulating him, Ketteringham walked away seemingly like he could have got the TD by jumping on it.   Maybe I am reading too much into it, and maybe he congratulated him later, but it seemed odd to me that a quarterback wasn’t the first one all over an offensive lineman after they scored.  If anybody watches that clip again let me know what you see, and maybe I am wrong or missing part of the equation.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4712147-VIDEO-Senior-Patric-Rooney-becomes-first-offensive-lineman-to-score-touchdown-in-UNDs-Division-I-era

10 hours ago, bang said:

I think you may be right. I also think recruiting kids with frames that can grow into physical specimens like Lance is part of it as well. I’m perplexed with this one. Not sure if any of us not involved with the program can say with certainty Baukol is a problem. I can say he’s had some success along with some average results. 

It’s a problem.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Was it Patrick Rooney that scored the touchdown against Davis?  When everyone else was all over him congratulating him, Ketteringham walked away seemingly like he could have got the TD by jumping on it.   Maybe I am reading too much into it, and maybe he congratulated him later, but it seemed odd to me that a quarterback wasn’t the first one all over an offensive lineman after they scored.  If anybody watches that clip again let me know what you see, and maybe I am wrong or missing part of the equation.

I think Ket actually threw a block on that play instead of try to dive on it himself.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, homer said:

If we can’t consistently recruit the personnel to effectively run the 3-4 defense, that strategy needs to be examined.   Our first string dline looks outmatched, it’s even worse when the 2nd string is in.  Frustrating all around.  

LB rarely are unblocked and that’s because double teams are not need on DL.   A huge problem.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

In addition to what others already responded, I don’t think the claim of UND being a tough sell to recruits holds water when you compare to ISU.  Their football stadium is a twin brother of the valley city winter show building.  

I think you are correct  but if a player is considering more than facilities, like weather and location, why would UND be preferred over the jackholes to the south?

40 minutes ago, homer said:

I think Ket actually threw a block on that play instead of try to dive on it himself.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4712147-VIDEO-Senior-Patric-Rooney-becomes-first-offensive-lineman-to-score-touchdown-in-UNDs-Division-I-era

Looks to me like Ket is going for the ball, but to judge his mindset is probably unfair.  I do still find it odd he didn’t celebrate with his lineman’s rare opportunity.

55 minutes ago, Kab said:

We need to recruit big old fashion farm boys again, seems to work down south

why we had players lose weight seems to be biting us in the gut

i hope some of our recruits are saying when I get there these things won’t happen instead of saying why am I going there

Do these farm boys still exist?  I doubt many people are throwing idiot cubes or picking rock by hand.  Now work ethic you may be on to something but as far as big and tough, not sure your theory holds up any more.