SiouxSports.com Forum

ISU GDT

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, SlowHand said:

I am not here to rub salt in any wounds so lets not go there.   I am really not sure how UND gets the train back on the rails or even where to start.  Its tough enough recruiting football talent with NDSU an hour away.  UND seems to recruit decent players, but they dont seem to improve/develop them.  I am not sure how many people here understand the value Jim Kramer brings to the NDSU program.  He is a huge part of their success and UND would do well to find out whats going on with their S&C program.  Bubba is a likable guy, but I think its time for a change.  I think you guys need a new HC, DC and OC.   Wipe the slate clean and rebuild from scratch.  I am not sure financially if that is doable or what funds are available.  I think its going to take a big change to restart the football program.   With the new MVFC schedule maybe the shorter travel will free up a few bucks.  Someone mentioned dropping football.  This may not be as crazy as some think, although I am sure it would burn for a while.  If UND were able to redirect all of the football funds to the hockey program I think it would put UND in the very best possible position to absolutely dominate in hockey.  Overall, that may be best for the university in the long run. 

In either case, I hope something positive happens to get things going in the right direction again.

Flame on....

I'll address the bolded part:  If that happens (which I doubt), that money needs to go straight into the basketball programs.  Hockey can do their own thing, they don't need anymore money.  Put the money into build a better basketball program, which would get better returns.

Everything else, I can't disagree with. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll address the bolded part:  If that happens (which I doubt), that money needs to go straight into the basketball programs.  Hockey can do their own thing, they don't need anymore money.  Put the money into build a better basketball program, which would get better returns.

Everything else, I can't disagree with. 

The time to drop FB was back when we first moved up to Division I. Then we could have adjusted our budgets accordingly and probably would have more success in both Men's and Women's Basketball than we have currently had. But you don't build HPC Phase I and then drop FB. We have put too much time, money and energy into this Division I move to do that. There is simply no excuse for our athletic department to be in the sorry shape it currently is in. None. I don't want to hear about how big Fargo is getting. I don't want to hear how cold and desolate it is here. I don't want to hear how this is as good as it is going to get. Those are all excuses. And that is what you get from an institution that has lacked strong leadership at the top for 10 years now. A turnaround has to start with the hiring of a strong UND President who believes that athletics are an essential part of any four-year liberal arts university in the United States and can be used as a powerful marketing tool, especially in the age of social media. Without that, Chaves won't be able to do the things he wants to do. And it won't really matter who is in charge of what program on campus.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The time to drop FB was back when we first moved up to Division I. Then we could have adjusted our budgets accordingly and probably would have more success in both Men's and Women's Basketball than we have currently had. But you don't build HPC Phase I and then drop FB. We have put too much time, money and energy into this Division I move to do that. There is simply no excuse for our athletic department to be in the sorry shape it currently is in. None. I don't want to hear about how big Fargo is getting. I don't want to hear how cold and desolate it is here. I don't want to hear how this is as good as it is going to get. Those are all excuses. And that is what you get from an institution that has lacked strong leadership at the top for 10 years now. A turnaround has to start with the hiring of a strong UND President who believes that athletics are an essential part of any four-year liberal arts university in the United States and can be used as a powerful marketing tool, especially in the age of social media. Without that, Chaves won't be able to do the things he wants to do. And it won't really matter who is in charge of what program on campus.

Athletic representation on the search committee is noticeably absent. Steve Burian was the closest to it, he has stepped down and won’t be replaced.  

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It is stunning anyone on this forum or connected to the university would consider dropping football.  If UND wants to be the relegated to permanent second fiddle status to NDAC in the state, then that is the path . If that happens by 2030,  NDSU would be 20k students and UND less than 10k.

I'm not in anyway advocating that.  Just want to clear.  Only was answering with a hypothetical.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SlowHand said:

I am not here to rub salt in any wounds so lets not go there.   I am really not sure how UND gets the train back on the rails or even where to start.  Its tough enough recruiting football talent with NDSU an hour away.  UND seems to recruit decent players, but they dont seem to improve/develop them.  I am not sure how many people here understand the value Jim Kramer brings to the NDSU program.  He is a huge part of their success and UND would do well to find out whats going on with their S&C program.  Bubba is a likable guy, but I think its time for a change.  I think you guys need a new HC, DC and OC.   Wipe the slate clean and rebuild from scratch.  I am not sure financially if that is doable or what funds are available.  I think its going to take a big change to restart the football program.   With the new MVFC schedule maybe the shorter travel will free up a few bucks.  Someone mentioned dropping football.  This may not be as crazy as some think, although I am sure it would burn for a while.  If UND were able to redirect all of the football funds to the hockey program I think it would put UND in the very best possible position to absolutely dominate in hockey.  Overall, that may be best for the university in the long run. 

In either case, I hope something positive happens to get things going in the right direction again.

Flame on....

I heard SU is having more issues with substance abuse in the locker room. 

42 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

quite the conversationalist.   

So no one puts together 9 & 1 and see the program to the south with entire focus of the athletic department keying on one sport?

Last time I checked, NDSU MBB had quite a run in the Men's tournament last March.

NDSU's cash cow is FB, but that isn't the only sport they care about.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Last time I checked, NDSU MBB had quite a run in the Men's tournament last March.

based on what, hunch, number crunching....   my train of thought includes fan / alumni support as it seems that is a crucial leg for success

Last year, was never more up this team than after they pounded Sac St on the road.  Thought playoffs were imminent.  Sac St went on to a horrible finish.

But now, after a coaching change, Sac St might be the best in the Sky.  Their only two losses were to Ariz St and Fresno St by under two touchdowns, they have demolished other lower BSC teams, and have beaten EWU and MSU.  A coaching change obviously paid big dividends.  Granted, ISU just might be better than anyone thought, but coaching can pay dividends.

• Upvote 3

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

based on what, hunch, number crunching....   my train of thought includes fan / alumni support as it seems that is a crucial leg for success

If all we want is to focus on hockey and let everything else go to crap, then we should just drop back down to Division II. Having a bunch of crappy Division I teams is bad for the university and everyone connected to it. And since you seem to care about hockey and not much else, why don't you go back to the hockey forum and comment on how we should have scored more goals this past weekend vs. Canisius. Because we seem to have much different ideas of what UND athletics can and/or should be.

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU really splattered over SDSU several times, not.  NDSU only got in because WIU had one good game over SDSU.

Most of their fans wanted to fire Richman before they made it.

41 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I heard SU is having more issues with substance abuse in the locker room. 

As a UND FB apologist thanks for the rumored hot take. 

BTW.........you must not see the smoke coming from the UND dumpster fire.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

NDSU really splattered over SDSU several times, not.  NDSU only got in because WIU had one good game over SDSU.

Well the school did build him a new arena, practice facility,  provided cost of attendance and is shelling out for charter flights to places like Macomb. His coaching has been above average at best but the school has given him whatever he has needed. Kind of makes the point about it being all about football dumb. The sports that struggle at NDSU are because of poor hiring decisions and not due to a lack of support. That said I think UND FB is in a similar spot, just bad hire after bad hire.The Bubba hire was just awful, he had a resume that screams nothing by mediocrity. A retread brought in simply because of the past. Your AD needs to look for some fresh blood. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You are correct. And Richman will have to have sustained success going forward if he wants to stick around. But they took advantage of their opportunity.

2 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

Well the school did build him a new arena, practice facility,  provided cost of attendance and is shelling out for charter flights to places like Macomb. His coaching has been above average at best but the school has given him whatever he has needed. Kind of makes the point about it being all about football dumb. The sports that struggle at NDSU are because of poor hiring decisions and not due to a lack of support. That said I think UND FB is in a similar spot, just bad hire after bad hire.The Bubba hire was just awful, he had a resume that screams nothing by mediocrity. A retread brought in simply because of the past. Your AD needs to look for some fresh blood. 

I would agree except I think Sanford built the new facility.  The Fargo football only is not accurate.  UND is certainly hockey heavy but not hockey only. I believe both of those opinions are flawed.

I would hope the decision makers at UND don’t lose focus ( like we tend to do as fans). There is no reason to speculate about the OC, DC, STC, SC until we solve the leadership issue at the top. The University President and the Alumni Board of directors must believe in the opportunities intercollegiate athletics provide to UND. Whomever is going to be the new President, should require the support of the SBHE to include solving our athletic department challenges as one of the top priorities. They also need a commitment from the Alumni Association to make providing the necessary resources necessary to be successful. That will require thinking outside the box. Phase 2 of the HPC needs a focus on the Sports Med research opportunities that can make the project more attractive for grants and donations. There is medical research that can incorporate participation from the medical school, graduate programs, business, engineering, marketing and entrepreneurship. That is what a University is for.  The AD needs to make clear to the President what resources he/she needs to be successful. I don’t care where the next coach comes from but hire someone who is a proven recruiter with the ability to motivate others to excel. That isn’t just his players and staff but also fans, and the UND alumni and community to such that they want to be part of the solution and subsequent success. If we are going to hold others accountable, we need to have a clear plan and expectations at every level from the President, to the support staff to the fans and beyond.  If you don’t believe we can do this we can’t.  Because most of us aren’t making the decisions, it makes it more difficult. If any of you didn’t take the opportunity to provide input as to what we need in the next President, then you have failed to help UND get to where we all want be. You can still do so by writing letters to the selection committee. You also need to demand better of our elected officials.  Burgum is an anti-UND guy.  He would like us to be a glorified on-line University with most on campus students having to go to Fargo. Let him and other elected officials know that is unacceptable. We have a lot of work to do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I would agree except I think Sanford built the new facility.  The Fargo football only is not accurate.  UND is certainly hockey heavy but not hockey only. I believe both of those opinions are flawed.

I would hope the decision makers at UND don’t lose focus ( like we tend to do as fans). There is no reason to speculate about the OC, DC, STC, SC until we solve the leadership issue at the top. The University President and the Alumni Board of directors must believe in the opportunities intercollegiate athletics provide to UND. Whomever is going to be the new President, should require the support of the SBHE to include solving our athletic department challenges as one of the top priorities. They also need a commitment from the Alumni Association to make providing the necessary resources necessary to be successful. That will require thinking outside the box. Phase 2 of the HPC needs a focus on the Sports Med research opportunities that can make the project more attractive for grants and donations. There is medical research that can incorporate participation from the medical school, graduate programs, business, engineering, marketing and entrepreneurship. That is what a University is for.  The AD needs to make clear to the President what resources he/she needs to be successful. I don’t care where the next coach comes from but hire someone who is a proven recruiter with the ability to motivate others to excel. That isn’t just his players and staff but also fans, and the UND alumni and community to such that they want to be part of the solution and subsequent success. If we are going to hold others accountable, we need to have a clear plan and expectations at every level from the President, to the support staff to the fans and beyond.  If you don’t believe we can do this we can’t.  Because most of us aren’t making the decisions, it makes it more difficult. If any of you didn’t take the opportunity to provide input as to what we need in the next President, then you have failed to help UND get to where we all want be. You can still do so by writing letters to the selection committee. You also need to demand better of our elected officials.  Burgum is an anti-UND guy.  He would like us to be a glorified on-line University with most on campus students having to go to Fargo. Let him and other elected officials know that is unacceptable. We have a lot of work to do. 

Very good post.

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If all we want is to focus on hockey and let everything else go to crap, then we should just drop back down to Division II. Having a bunch of crappy Division I teams is bad for the university and everyone connected to it. And since you seem to care about hockey and not much else, why don't you go back to the hockey forum and comment on how we should have scored more goals this past weekend vs. Canisius. Because we seem to have much different ideas of what UND athletics can and/or should be.

If I only cared about hockey I would  only be on those boards, so stick your opinion of me up your arse.  Look at the reality, the gold standard of FCS  is in plain sight and if you think those supporters care half as much for the other sports you need to put windows in your arse so you can see better.

• Downvote 1