SiouxSports.com Forum

Post - Kennedy Fundraising

nodak651

Will UND actually see a fundraising bump now that Kennedy is gone?  

With Kennedy gone, may KEM be willing to partially finance Phase II through the Ralph, similar to the Betty donation loan?

Everyone knows that UND Hockey has by far the most support from fans.  Would UND be better off fundraising for things like the 2m in RAE funds, used for the scoreboard, and allowing the money to flow to other programs?  Currently it's the other way around, with other programs putting in so much effort for fundraising.  For instance, golf has to fundraise for their annual budget, but if the RAE money flowed through them, and the hockey program identified a fundraising need for the same amount, I think UND would have a much better chance of reaching said goal, and overall donations could increase.  Example: 2million from RAE that was used for the scoreboard goes to Phase 2, and the hockey program finds donations for a new scoreboard.  Could also sell naming rights to scoreboard.  

How far along is UND in it's fundraising efforts for the business school?  They have a 20m donation from an anonymous donar, and 20m from the state so far, correct?  They need about 60m?  Will the business school sell naming rights?  "Cargill School of Business" perhaps?   

22 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

With Kennedy gone, may KEM be willing to partially finance Phase II through the Ralph, similar to the Betty donation loan?

Everyone knows that UND Hockey has by far the most support from fans.  Would UND be better off fundraising for things like the 2m in RAE funds, used for the scoreboard, and allowing the money to flow to other programs?  Currently it's the other way around, with other programs putting in so much effort for fundraising.  For instance, golf has to fundraise for their annual budget, but if the RAE money flowed through them, and the hockey program identified a fundraising need for the same amount, I think UND would have a much better chance of reaching said goal, and overall donations could increase.  Example: 2million from RAE that was used for the scoreboard goes to Phase 2, and the hockey program finds donations for a new scoreboard.  Could also sell naming rights to scoreboard.  

How far along is UND in it's fundraising efforts for the business school?  They have a 20m donation from an anonymous donar, and 20m from the state so far, correct?  They need about 60m?  Will the business school sell naming rights?  "Cargill School of Business" perhaps?   

The first call the interim pres needs to make is to KEM

I know this is a dumb question...

Does Kris McGarry have any real connection to UND? Other than Ralph and Betty, why does she even consider making donations to UND? Did she ever attend UND? Is it just a legacy thing?

again, I understand this is a dumb question, but I just wonder why so much emphasis is put on her/Englestad Foundation donations.

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Does Kris McGarry have any real connection to UND? Other than Ralph and Betty, why does she even consider making donations to UND? Did she ever attend UND? Is it just a legacy thing?

again, I understand this is a dumb question, but I just wonder why so much emphasis is put on her/Englestad Foundation donations.

She has no connections here. Ralph went to UND she didn’t, she went to UNLV.

43 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Probably because she plays an active role in the management of the Ralph and publicly stated that Kennedy was offensive and pretty much negotiating in bad faith, and then said that she would stop all donations until he was gone.  Nobody would say a word if she wasn't constantly in the press.  But now he's gone like she wanted...

25 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Probably because she plays an active role in the management of the Ralph and publicly stated that Kennedy was offensive and pretty much negotiating in bad faith, and then said that she would stop all donations until he was gone.  Nobody would say a word if she wasn't constantly in the press.  But now he's gone like she wanted...

It won’t be the last of her demands. 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Why would they name it the Cargill School of Business? 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Read that one donor owned a bunch of Microsoft stock and expected to gift much of it,  but was disappointed years ago that it hasn’t appreciated more.  Well it was $30 then and near $140 now.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, zonadub said:

She has made it clear that she doesn't have the same connection to UND that Ralph had. She shares DNA with him and that is all. But some people think that gives her the inherent right to run UND from Vegas. :silly::glare::crazy:

I think we are better off cultivating relationships with people who care about UND and want it to succeed now and in the future. And KEM doesn't belong in that category.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hot take:  Lots of people died who were going to "donate" eventually; has nothing to do with any one person, event, or fundraising strategy.

Hotter take:  Record fundraising could have saved music therapy (and perhaps other programs and jobs) from the chopping block...where was all of this generous philanthropy the past couple of years?  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Pretty impressive considering we were told donors had no interest in giving money to UND while Kennedy was the president. Must have been a lot of donations the last 15 days of June.....

Good work by the Alumni Association.

We were also told by some that donations would dry up when the Sioux name went away.  Apparently that didn't happen either.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hot take:  Lots of people died who were going to "donate" eventually; has nothing to do with any one person, event, or fundraising strategy.

Hotter take:  Record fundraising could have saved music therapy (and perhaps other programs and jobs) from the chopping block...where was all of this generous philanthropy the past couple of years?  

So more people died last year that we’re going to donate than any other year prior?