SiouxSports.com Forum

Post - Kennedy Fundraising

nodak651

15 minutes ago, homer said:

So more people died last year that we’re going to donate than any other year prior?  

Possible, but more likely a disproportionate number of high-level donors died as compared to recent years.  A statistical outlier, perhaps, but hardly beyond the realm.

I do think that trying to look for obvious causes (nickname, president, foundation leadership, current climate on campus) is foolish.  There are far too many plausible explanations that have nothing to do with the perpetual hand-wringing we see on here over day-to-day matters about which most old people with money and connections to UND probably have zero interest or awareness.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hot take:  Lots of people died who were going to "donate" eventually; has nothing to do with any one person, event, or fundraising strategy.

Hotter take:  Record fundraising could have saved music therapy (and perhaps other programs and jobs) from the chopping block...where was all of this generous philanthropy the past couple of years?  

29 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Possible, but more likely a disproportionate number of high-level donors died as compared to recent years.  A statistical outlier, perhaps, but hardly beyond the realm.

I do think that trying to look for obvious causes (nickname, president, foundation leadership, current climate on campus) is foolish.  There are far too many plausible explanations that have nothing to do with the perpetual hand-wringing we see on here over day-to-day matters about which most old people with money and connections to UND probably have zero interest or awareness.

Your hot take is wrong.  Bequest contributions would already have been counted and applied to a prior year's fundraising total as planned giving.  "Fundraising includes new gifts, pledges, grants, and bequest commitments."  The reported fundraising number isn't the same as the actual cash flow to UND.

44 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Your hot take is wrong.  Bequest contributions would already have been counted and applied to a prior year's fundraising total as planned giving.  "Fundraising includes new gifts, pledges, grants, and bequest commitments."  The reported fundraising number isn't the same as the actual cash flow to UND.

How am I wrong?  Do you have the data to prove or disprove that the dollar value of planned gifts exceeded the value of unplanned gifts?  Do wills not provide for gifts to UND that have not been pre-planned with the foundation?

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

How am I wrong?  Do you have the data to prove or disprove that the dollar value of planned gifts exceeded the value of unplanned gifts?  Do wills not provide for gifts to UND that have not been pre-planned with the foundation?

You think multiple "high level" donors died and left UND tens of millions, without telling UND their intentions, even though they were already existing donors?   Highly unlikely.

Maybe someone left UND a winning lottery ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

You think multiple "high level" donors died and left UND tens of millions, without telling UND their intentions, even though they were already existing donors?   Highly unlikely.

Maybe someone left UND a winning lottery ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's your explanation, then, genius?  You seem to know everything.  You going with the Kennedy connection, the Engelstad connection, the "Fighting Hawk Acceptance" theory, or what?  Or did the foundation just suddenly pull its head out of its ass and start working harder?  I'll wait...

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

What's your explanation, then, genius?  You seem to know everything.  You going with the Kennedy connection, the Engelstad connection, the "Fighting Hawk Acceptance" theory, or what?  Or did the foundation just suddenly pull its head out of its ass and start working harder?  I'll wait...

Not sure.  I'll wait and find out, but UNDBIZ's comment makes the most sense to me.

3 hours ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Be on the lookout for some big announcements!

3 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Come on man, you can't tease like that and not deliver!

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hey, either the announcements will be big or they won't. Patience young grasshopper! ;)

It's happening!!!!!! ;):D

retract.jpg

• Like 2