SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

What are his ties to North Dakota and/or UND?  I don't see any listed on his NSU bio page.  Interesting if he is chosen over the other two that do have ties.

U made my point. Coaches with non nd ties are loved to be hated on

34 minutes ago, UofND-Alum said:

I dont understand this fascination with Boschee and the name....old news....UND needs a coach to come in and recruit at a high level. Simular to what Otzelberger did at SD State....ONLY candidate that pusues talent for the roster like that on the following lists is Herbst IMO. Even names like Saul Phillip's dont bring the recruiting prowess of Herbst. UND is a challenging job with limited resources compaired to others in Summit. Location alone brings its issues. Not saying Boschee, Sather, Saul, and others are poor coaches....but the name of the game is getting players.

Eager to hear what comes.

My fascination (which has been documented throughout this thread) are several fold:  Yes, he's a ND HS star from 20 years ago, BUT, his connections to the college BB holy grail would be second to none:  Played under Roy Williams, one of college basketball's elite coaches; played at Kansas, one of college basketball's elite programs, played in the NCAA final four; was the reason Kansas played in Grand Forks in 2001 - could potentially bring a recurring matchup with Kansas again; could potentially bring a matchup with North Carolina, where Roy Williams currently coaches, also one of college basketball's elite programs.  College basketball is the way that small colleges make names for themselves, and having connections to that kind of royalty can't hurt.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not sure Gunther, Glas or Jones had ties to UND prior to coaching. 

I'm not saying hiring a guy without ties is wrong, but it was a preferred qualification, and they had guys named as finalists that met that qualification.  I guess the best take on it is that even despite not having those preferred ties, Sather blew them away.  I'm ready to be blown away, too.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:39 PM, UNDBIZ said:

an

Looks like a great hire.  It just simply looks like he is a good coach. He is a winner. Exciting. Doesn’t matter if he was at a  big time program before or not. He knows how to coach wins. Living in North Dakota won’t be a shock either. Good days ahead. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Looks like a great hire.  It just simply looks like he is a good coach. He is a winner. Exciting. Doesn’t matter if he was at a  big time program before or not. He knows how to coach wins. Living in North Dakota won’t be a shock either. Good days ahead. 

Yeah if you can get kids to go to Aberdeen you should be able to get kids to go to UND. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I'm disappointed we didn't hire Boschee.  Sather is a winner and is a major step above Jones.  I wish him the best.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

I'm disappointed we didn't hire Boschee.  Sather is a winner and is a major step above Jones.  I wish him the best.

The fact that he wasn't listed as a finalist must mean that he wasn't interested.  I'm fine with that - I don't want someone who doesn't want to be here.

Don't know about the hire. Think that Northern State can kind of recruit itself. If you want to play hoops and play in front of sold out crowds every night then there is your spot. Hopefully he is able to recruit some athletes that can get it done in the Summit League. Chaves went off script for the hire, interesting take that we got a guy who hasn't been around the D1 level in 15 years, or has had any D1 transfers (2 since he took over at NSU), also not many jc players on the rosters. Good luck winning in this league without some of those.  

I wonder if everyone around the area is as fired up about the hire as much as sather was against Augie a couple of years ago. :blink: