SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

When will names start to leak? The job has been closed a week, seems somone should have filled a FOIA by now. 

It just closed Friday. There are some impressive names.  I will let someone else do the leaking!

4 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Believe phone interviews for UND basketball and volleyball head coach positions are taking place this week. I would anticipate some kind of announcement in the week or two following that.

Surprised that they would just be interviewing this week, especially for the VB position.

33 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Surprised that they would just be interviewing this week, especially for the VB position.

For basketball I think they pretty much had to wait until this week. From what I understand is they had to wait until the job closed and then could start sifting through.

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

no inside knowledge or anything but just based on reading around and talking to a couple people it sounds like Boschee and Herbst will be among the finalists. Hoping McCollum will as well but I haven't heard much about that.

Boschee, Herbst and whomever Chaves had targeted before the qualifications list was drawn up... 

On 5/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, UND Fan said:

Telephone interviews are taking place - it is going to be a tough decision for Chaves.  Lots of great candidates.  

Chaves continues to impress me - he recently spent some time with Gunther and on the phone with Glas trying to learn more about the UND BB culture and what type of coach is needed to get the program back where it was.

If true, this is promising.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, UND Fan said:

Telephone interviews are taking place - it is going to be a tough decision for Chaves.  Lots of great candidates.  

Chaves continues to impress me - he recently spent some time with Gunther and on the phone with Glas trying to learn more about the UND BB culture and what type of coach is needed to get the program back where it was.

It's great to hear that we actually have an AD on staff in Grand Forks for the first time since Terry Wanless.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

It's great to hear that we actually have an AD on staff in Grand Forks for the first time since Terry Wanless.   

I've actually heard the opposite, that Chaves makes Faison seem like he was a real visible leader on campus. Hopefully that perception changes as Chaves becomes more comfortable and takes a lead on fundraising and improving our programs. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, UND Fan said:

Looking at the past is okay but so much has changed in the BB culture, even the top schools are struggling for fan interest.  

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Looking at the past is okay but so much has changed in the BB culture, even the top schools are struggling for fan interest.  

I don't disagree with your statement but they weren't talking about BB culture as it relates to fan interest nationally, they were talking about what it takes to win in BB at UND.  That includes recruiting kids whose parents will drive by many other Summit League schools to get to Grand Forks or the kid from a warm climate who has never been to ND.  It includes scheduling, playing an entertaining/exciting type of ball, being involved and respected within the community, etc.     

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Former E. Washington Jim Hanford coach could not stand Chaves

Interesting. Chaves hired him from a D3 school and signed him to a 5 year extension, so it couldn't have been too bad. Have anything that actually documents this?