Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sioux24/7

Who’s Next?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Tom and Brad had a 22 minutes podcast.  I couldn't save it with my phone.  Interesting conversation between the two on potential candidate.  No mention of Been M.  My guess Boschee or Herbst. They mentioned Saul.  I don't see it.

Who is Been M?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Who is Been M?

Ben McCollum - been mentioned on here due to his success at Northwest Missouri State but who knows if he's even interested in the job and if we are even interested in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hoops44 said:

One of lowest paying ,coldest , lowest in state talent jobs in D1...beggars cannot be too choosy 

Bill Fitch, Jimmie Rodgers, and Phil Jackson were crazy to be at North Dakota and make NBA coaching records if they knew that they would have to endure arctic winters and low pay.  Ridiculous comment.  Head Coaches will take a position with the right ingredients and move up from there.

We are not getting Izzo or Coach K.  Stuck with DII coaches or low DI assistants, and that turned out OK even more recently with McDermott and Jacobson.  We need an AD with eyes for spotting talent early like in earlier days.

The OVC has sub $200 mbb HC salaries, except Murray St and Belmont.  Same with the Big Sky, Big South, America East, NEC, Atlantic Sun, Southland and others.  Pay only works if you want an experienced and winning DI HC.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, CMSioux said:

Who gets to define "nailing it"? 

Ask me in about 2 years :) 

 

-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The search closes today.  I hope we have it narrowed down to the 3 choices by the end of next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm of the opinion that Jeff Boschee has a greater than 50% chance of this being his, with Paul Sather being the other main option.  I would actually be somewhat surprised if it wasn't one of those two.

I admittedly don't follow basketball that closely all the time, and don't have any inside information, but this is the feeling that I get.  I think there are a couple mid-major assistants out there that we don't know about that could be darkhorses, but those two just seem to be where my mind keeps coming back to.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note, but UND has basketball camps all summer long, some starting as early as the first week of June.  With the old staff going out and a nee coach likely to be newly hired, who runs these camps?  I guess I am assuming the coaching staffs for the mens and womens teams run the camps.  Is that the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Side note, but UND has basketball camps all summer long, some starting as early as the first week of June.  With the old staff going out and a nee coach likely to be newly hired, who runs these camps?  I guess I am assuming the coaching staffs for the mens and womens teams run the camps.  Is that the case?

When I went back in the day it was ran by the players I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've stayed clear of this conversation since I know so little about any potential candidate that I have nothing to provide. From an outsiders view though, if we're talking who would bring the most excitement / hype with the hire, it'd be Boschee for me. I think that would be really exciting for UND Men's Basketball, a real shot in the arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Side note, but UND has basketball camps all summer long, some starting as early as the first week of June.  With the old staff going out and a nee coach likely to be newly hired, who runs these camps?  I guess I am assuming the coaching staffs for the mens and womens teams run the camps.  Is that the case?

From what I remember an assistant coach usually runs the whole thing and the head coach just oversees stuff, makes speeches, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hambone said:

I'm of the opinion that Jeff Boschee has a greater than 50% chance of this being his, with Paul Sather being the other main option.  I would actually be somewhat surprised if it wasn't one of those two.

I admittedly don't follow basketball that closely all the time, and don't have any inside information, but this is the feeling that I get.  I think there are a couple mid-major assistants out there that we don't know about that could be darkhorses, but those two just seem to be where my mind keeps coming back to.

Problem I am seeing is that Chaves has no ties to anybody from UND or North Dakota.  He will try to find the best coach available.  I don't think Boschee would even be in the mythical 'Top 5' if he wasn't from Valley City.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Problem I am seeing is that Chaves has no ties to anybody from UND or North Dakota.  He will try to find the best coach available.  I don't think Boschee would even be in the mythical 'Top 5' if he wasn't from Valley City.  

You're probably correct, but he does have ties to ND and it's what makes the job and opportunity intriguing for both sides. I'm not sure if they are even going to do "finalists" per se so we might never know who actually applied outside of who gets the job, but I would be floored if he wasn't a top 3 candidate and I personally have him as a slight favorite over the field to get the job.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Boschee hire is one too intriguing not to do, IMO.  If he is interested.  Big splash with the media in ND.  Played DI BB at one of the most premier college basketball institutions, under one of the most premier college basketball coaches.  Probably could even get KU back in Grand Forks.  I don't see any other candidate that could inject that much dosage into UND's arm.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The Boschee hire is one too intriguing not to do, IMO.  If he is interested.  Big splash with the media in ND.  Played DI BB at one of the most premier college basketball institutions, under one of the most premier college basketball coaches.  Probably could even get KU back in Grand Forks.  I don't see any other candidate that could inject that much dosage into UND's arm.

Probably a game with North Carolina as well to coach against his coach.  WOW

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Probably a game with North Carolina as well to coach against his coach.  WOW

Hadn't thought about that angle, but even an away game against UNC would be huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Hadn't thought about that angle, but even an away game against UNC would be huge.

$$$$$

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a buddy who grew up in Fargo, went to UND, and only follows UND hockey and NDSU football (apparently because he grew up watching NDSU, and because he thinks UND football sucks, and he apparently isn't a band wagon fan :crazy:).  Even HE was legit excited when I mentioned that Boschee might be the next coach, and this guy probably doesn't even know who Geno Crandall or Q Hooker are...  I think that says something for the excitement that Boschee could generate around the program.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

The Boschee hire is one too intriguing not to do, IMO.  If he is interested.  Big splash with the media in ND.  Played DI BB at one of the most premier college basketball institutions, under one of the most premier college basketball coaches.  Probably could even get KU back in Grand Forks.  I don't see any other candidate that could inject that much dosage into UND's arm.

The bar has been set pretty low.  Why not take a shot with Boschee?!!  I like the buzz that he would create.  And it's not like he is a name.  He has done well as a head coach as well!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people get to caught up with hiring to WIN a press conference. Need to focus on person whom can be winning the Summit. If at end of day Chaves picks THAT coach, we will be in great hands. Seems like a lot of "wishing and hoping" for succes with the Boschee name. UND needs a coach that can OUT RECRUIT others in the league, primarily, UNO, NDSU and the Jack's of Brookings. Still believe Herbst at UWGB is the right person. Coached at UND in past, Grand Forks ties, Been in a coach in the league and recruited the level of Summit and Horizon, won at U of Mary as a head coach (probably most impressive item on list). I didnt realize he was also a head JC coach as well....the overall coaching experience, plus time at Division I programs, seems invaluable.

Any idea what next steps are now that the posting has closed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

I think people get to caught up with hiring to WIN a press conference. Need to focus on person whom can be winning the Summit. If at end of day Chaves picks THAT coach, we will be in great hands. Seems like a lot of "wishing and hoping" for succes with the Boschee name. UND needs a coach that can OUT RECRUIT others in the league, primarily, UNO, NDSU and the Jack's of Brookings. Still believe Herbst at UWGB is the right person. Coached at UND in past, Grand Forks ties, Been in a coach in the league and recruited the level of Summit and Horizon, won at U of Mary as a head coach (probably most impressive item on list). I didnt realize he was also a head JC coach as well....the overall coaching experience, plus time at Division I programs, seems invaluable.

Any idea what next steps are now that the posting has closed?

Totally agree on hiring a coach that can win versus winning the press conference. Can UND prove it’s a legit DI school? The answer up to now has been obvious...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UofND-Alum said:

I think people get to caught up with hiring to WIN a press conference. Need to focus on person whom can be winning the Summit. If at end of day Chaves picks THAT coach, we will be in great hands. Seems like a lot of "wishing and hoping" for succes with the Boschee name. UND needs a coach that can OUT RECRUIT others in the league, primarily, UNO, NDSU and the Jack's of Brookings. Still believe Herbst at UWGB is the right person. Coached at UND in past, Grand Forks ties, Been in a coach in the league and recruited the level of Summit and Horizon, won at U of Mary as a head coach (probably most impressive item on list). I didnt realize he was also a head JC coach as well....the overall coaching experience, plus time at Division I programs, seems invaluable.

Any idea what next steps are now that the posting has closed?

For me the question Chaves has to ask any finalist is what does his staff of assistants look like   Perhaps Boschee has an up and coming assistant he can bring with him that could be that “recruiter”.  Maybe Herbst does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff Boschee

Herbst

McCollum - doubtful

Give me any of them and I’m happy. I’m sure there’s some names Chaves has that we aren’t even talking about. Once again, I do trust Chaves with whoever he does end up choosing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When will names start to leak? The job has been closed a week, seems somone should have filled a FOIA by now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...