SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

7 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

If we go with a Division II coach, then I believe that Ben McCollum deserves a serious look.  No D-II coach has accomplished what he's accomplished over the past few years, winning two of the last three national championships, including a perfect 38-0 this season, and 7 of the last 8 conference championships, so he has nothing left to prove at that level.  Plus, he's young (38), is from the Midwest (Iowa), and obviously knows how to recruit, as most of his players are from the Kansas City area, where he has a lot of competition from several other DI and DII schools in the area.  Also, he's a two-time national coach of the year.  Moving up from DII, he would probably get a bump in pay, even with what UND can afford to pay.

I agree. He’s going to get a lot better job than this one though 

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

I agree. He’s going to get a lot better job than this one though 

Probably, although if Chaves put the hard sell on him and showed him that we really wanted him and that we're fully committed to winning, who knows...….

• Upvote 1

So I know the job closes on Friday but when should we expect an actual hire? Do they have to wait for the job to close to even begin the interviewing process? It would be nice to get someone in to try to fill the remaining scholarships and we may end up having more spots too. 

I am very interested in The Who for this job.

equally interested in the how much for the head coach and assistants

can we afford to be a d1 men’s bb team

the money comes from a shared bucket 

help one program at the expense of another or grow all programs with additional resources 

I would think that Grabowski is mostly likely to stay.  However, if the new coach wants to continue to have a foreign connection, Mihailovic may be retained.  

That said, if the new coach doesn't have any UND ties, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring in an all-new staff. 

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

So I know the job closes on Friday but when should we expect an actual hire? Do they have to wait for the job to close to even begin the interviewing process? 

Yes, has to be posted two weeks, then they start sifting through candidates.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, MoSiouxFan said:

If we go with a Division II coach, then I believe that Ben McCollum deserves a serious look.  No D-II coach has accomplished what he's accomplished over the past few years, winning two of the last three national championships, including a perfect 38-0 this season, and 7 of the last 8 conference championships, so he has nothing left to prove at that level.  Plus, he's young (38), is from the Midwest (Iowa), and obviously knows how to recruit, as most of his players are from the Kansas City area, where he has a lot of competition from several other DI and DII schools in the area.  Also, he's a two-time national coach of the year.  Moving up from DII, he would probably get a bump in pay, even with what UND can afford to pay.

I’d say this guy is my favorite. I have no insider information to say he is Chaves favorite, but anytime you go undefeated at ANY level, that is impressive. 38-0 just this past season. 

Chaves NEEDS to put the “full court press” on this guy. 

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’d say this guy is my favorite. I have no insider information to say he is Chaves favorite, but anytime you go undefeated at ANY level, that is impressive. 38-0 just this past season. 

no ties to UND so not sure how that will be handled.  Missouri Southern in the same conference coached by Jeff Boschee has split wins/loses the last 4 seasons.  

38-0 is very impressive.

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I've emailed Chaves.  I'd encourage anybody else that likes McCollum to do the same.  You never know.

• Upvote 1

Coach McCollum certainly has won...but is he the right fit? No ties to area. Recruiting the region is key. Minnesota and Wisconsin have been great for UND over many years for high school recruits. ND prospects are limited year in and year out....I would think Chaves would want to pursue a coach with strong experience in recruiting Minneapolis prep prospects especially. The same could be said for Boshee who name has been mentioned. 

36 minutes ago, UofND-Alum said:

Coach McCollum certainly has won...but is he the right fit? No ties to area. Recruiting the region is key. Minnesota and Wisconsin have been great for UND over many years for high school recruits. ND prospects are limited year in and year out....I would think Chaves would want to pursue a coach with strong experience in recruiting Minneapolis prep prospects especially. The same could be said for Boshee who name has been mentioned. 

I agree that recruiting in the region is key but it’s foolish to speculate hat McCollum or Boschee wouldn’t be able to do that. 

• Like 2

Your right, on the recruiting, fair enough....they will have to learn the landscape was my point. Some coach that has been in region of Dakotas, MN, WI and Iowa, would have a relationship advantage with AAU and Prep coaches, which I believe to be a plus.

Heck,  the transfer recruiting experience comes into conversation as well. 

The ol’ Locality vs. Ability argument is a good one, but having followed UND for too many years, I lean towards ability now. I don’t care If the candidate has ever been to ND or even the Midwest, I just want the best ability. 

Now, if you can have both, great! 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

One of lowest paying ,coldest , lowest in state talent jobs in D1...beggars cannot be too choosy 

I think that's the reasoning behind having North Dakota ties - we want someone who knows what he's getting into and going to be happy.  I am pretty satisfied with the names that have risen to the top on this thread.

Tom and Brad had a 22 minutes podcast.  I couldn't save it with my phone.  Interesting conversation between the two on potential candidate.  No mention of Been M.  My guess Boschee or Herbst. They mentioned Saul.  I don't see it.

33 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Tom and Brad had a 22 minutes podcast.  I couldn't save it with my phone.  Interesting conversation between the two on potential candidate.  No mention of Been M.  My guess Boschee or Herbst. They mentioned Saul.  I don't see it.

Yeah Boschee or Herbst and maybe even Moody. I would bet one of those three will be the guy.