SiouxSports.com Forum

Who’s Next?

sioux24/7

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ideally, men’s volleyball is much cheaper because it only needs to sponsor a few scholarships max.  There are men’s team sports like that, but NDSU and SDSU would probably not want those forced down their throats.  Tennis, with all the international scholarships and essentially no revenue, is an easy cut, but the Summit needs to reapprize it’s sports first.

Understand the lower cost concept, but Summit doesn't sponsor men's VB. I guess that is what you mean. 

I think that cutting baseball was to set the stage to drop women's ice hockey, but feels short-sighted in light of UND's move to the autobid-sport-challenged Summit League. The loss of any one of several schools in the conference will be huge. Even the prospect of NDSU leaving can be argued, because they would jump if they get an invitation to another conference.

Unless your projections of a hybrid conference with the better Big Sky schools comes to fruition, the Summit has to be looking to bolster its membership with the likes of UMKC (soccer) and Northern Colorado (baseball and football, but there will likely be resistance to forming a football conference outside the MVFC). KC already left the Summit and Denver will likely oppose UNC, so those possibility of those additions feels remote. The Wisconsin schools are also a possibility, but unlikely.

It just seems that, historically, Douple and the Summit Presidents are recactionary, not proactive. The transient history of the conference is disconcerting until more than the core of the four Dakota schools add more stability among more members. It seems that there is talk every year about PUFW, ORU, Denver and even Omaha leaving or WIU closing. The Summit will always have this issue. Augustana will probably be added, St Thomas is several years away from D-I. Duluth, Mankato or any other D-II move-up will also have transition times. Will it have to become NCC 2.0 or can the Montanas really be convinced to form a Great North conference?

Apologies, did not intend to thread-jack...

will copy and re-post in Conference Realignments thread

• Upvote 1

UNDBiz....I was in full support of Herbst for the head job. I liked the idea of bridging the past, with the future...and IMO Herbst brought that. I also view him as an aggressive recruiter, with strong experience recruiting to the League and University. That is why I didnt view him as LOW KEY, as stated before. He has demonstrated that approach in recruiting during his time at UND, at Mary, UNO or UWGB. Wish Sather nothing but the best, no doubt he will run a solid program, much like Richman at NDSU. 

Also spoke to MN AAU coach yesterday and he stated that it sounds like UND has payed Sather almost 40,000 more then Jones and committed more budget to assistant coach Saleries. Guess Jones got UND Basketball what he fealtnit needed and deserved after all...just not under his watch. 

13 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I wouldn’t want to defund hockey. Former hockey guy stepped up and made a donation which should keep hockey well funded for the foreseeable future. We may need to tweak the contract so all FB,VB, MBB,WBB revenues primarily benefit the respective sports those revenues come from if any of those revenues are directed elsewhere. Chaves challenge is to find the boosters to provide the resources to provide financial stability to our other sports. That means increasing revenues to allow us to increase our coaches salaries across the board. What’s good for hockey is good for our other sports and vice versa.  We also need to move beyond the name/logo fiasco. 

The sharing of ticket revenue in the contract between UND and RE Arena Inc. was a part of the dispute between Kennedy and McGarry.

Ticket revenues between UND and RE Arena Inc. are split, with RE Arena Inc. currently receiving 52 percent the revenues while UND receives the other 48 percent, according to the agreement.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/education/4460370-new-usage-agreement-being-negotiated-between-und-ralph-engelstad-arena

The shared ticket revenue agreement between UND and RE Arena Inc. is in fact the most controversial, and perhaps damaging, component of the UND Athletics Department budget, so I commend you for recognizing that in your post. Every $ counts when it comes to enhancing football and basketball and I have a hard time seeing how a 6 MILLION DOLLAR hockey scoreboard directly boosts football and basketball (especially with some FB and BB ticket revenue paying for it); BUT, this is a MBB coaching thread so I digress. 

Best of luck to Coach Sather. It is a relevant argument that Northern State emphasizes their basketball program whereas UND certainly does not. Can Coach Sather make more out of less at UND? We will see. 

Go UND

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/education/4460370-new-usage-agreement-being-negotiated-between-und-ralph-engelstad-arena

The shared ticket revenue agreement between UND and RE Arena Inc. is in fact the most controversial, and perhaps damaging, component of the UND Athletics Department budget, so I commend you for recognizing that in your post. Every $ counts when it comes to enhancing football and basketball and I have a hard time seeing how a 6 MILLION DOLLAR hockey scoreboard directly boosts football and basketball (especially with some FB and BB ticket revenue paying for it); BUT, this is a MBB coaching thread so I digress. 

Best of luck to Coach Sather. It is a relevant argument that Northern State emphasizes their basketball program whereas UND certainly does not. Can Coach Sather make more out of less at UND? We will see. 

Go UND

The President will need to discuss the agreement but needs to be more diplomatic. On paper this agreement, many years later, doesn’t seem to make sense. As an investment to obtain well over a million dollars for UND, it does. I try to remember donors don’t owe the recipient anything and often like the subsequent perks. When Ralph made his donation he stated was remained after the arena was built was to be used to support UND athletics. We all need to focus on the big picture and positioning ourselves for long term success. Some people forget Clifford and Strinden were key figures in Ralph’s donation and plans. We need to aggressively move toward finding the key donors for Women’s athletics, as well as FB and MBB without having to wait for a new contract. It will take donors with a net worth of a lot more than 3-5 million but it will also take 5,000 people to up their annual donation to $1,000 or more per year. UND alumni office and coaches work very hard to make that happen. 

Hope he's a players' coach that is going to be able to draw some good talent here and make them want to stay and work hard for him. The number of transfers in and out during Jones' tenure got a little ridiculous at times.

• Upvote 1

Here’s an article from Sather’s hometown of Princeton.  Since Sather switched from hockey to basketball full time in HS, he will probably relate to the fans here better.

https://www.hometownsource.com/union_times/free/phs-alum-gets-division-i-head-coaching-job-at-north/article_2ace9cd4-83db-11e9-93ec-d74e1d75b564.html

Really like how his recruits seem to fit better as a team throughout his previous stints.  He fits well even though the job description didn’t describe him as he had no relationship with UND or the Red River Valley.

Watched the press conference ... pretty standard presser but I'd say (based on a very limited sample size) Coach Sather will fit well into the Grand Forks and UND community. He has that genuine Midwest vibe that often does well in Grand Forks and at UND. Now, of course, winning basketball games is the other very important factor that will take some time to observe. I do think his teams will play hard and demonstrate the effort on defense that some of Jones' teams lacked. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u wonder if the heraldo tries to be this bad...so the pic that miller tweets says "und's next men's basketball coach"....yet wigness is standing at the podium

average fan...I thought people said the new coach was bald.

Did you see his childish tweet about he has had no access to Sather since he was announced the head coach yet he had time to make videos with UND Insider?  Prettyy pathetic.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Did you see his childish tweet about he has had no access to Sather since he was announced the head coach yet he had time to make videos with UND Insider?  Prettyy pathetic.

People complain about the lack of articles they put out but then people complain about tweets in which he just wants access. The guy can’t win can he?

25 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

People complain about the lack of articles they put out but then people complain about tweets in which he just wants access. The guy can’t win can he?

i don't know...maybe wait 90 seconds and actually have the coach at the podium...not that hard. 

31 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

yep...that's why i'm thinking he wants half of grand forks to think that our new men's bball coach is mitch wigness?

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Watched the press conference ... pretty standard presser but I'd say (based on a very limited sample size) Coach Sather will fit well into the Grand Forks and UND community. He has that genuine Midwest vibe that often does well in Grand Forks and at UND. Now, of course, winning basketball games is the other very important factor that will take some time to observe. I do think his teams will play hard and demonstrate the effort on defense that some of Jones' teams lacked. 

The more I read and hear about Paul.  He is the right choice.  They win as a team not one or two stand outs.  UND will own the summit sooner rather than later with his coach f skills.  

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So you don't have access.  Well how about some work.  Check with his past schools what made him successful.. How about checking the community where he grew up.  Past players, what do they think of him?   It might require some phone calls and google searches.  Rather than driving to the U facilities and someone hand you a cheat sheet.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Man finally a leader who accepts responsibility and not afraid it.  So refreshing.

The fact that he had communication with Phil Jackson sort of blows my mind!  Wow!  And kudos for having Gunther and Glas involved too.

• Upvote 1

I really liked this passage from Wayne Nelson's article today:

The fact that UND athletic director Bill Chaves tabbed a Division II coach to run a Division I program that is trying to become a player in the Summit League perhaps raised some eyebrows among the aging UND fan base.

But it shouldn’t.

Good coaches win wherever they go. Sather won at NAIA Black Hills State before taking control at Division II Northern. His programs have been successful on and off the court. And he’s largely pleased an engaging fan base -- something that does not exist as much as it used to at UND.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/1357299-NELSON-New-UND-coach-charged-with-making-mens-basketball-a-big-deal-again

This is an idea that Tom Buning never embraced. Sather wouldn't have gotten the time of day from Buning. Buning would probably have hired the equipment manager at Duke ("Well, he has lots of Division I experience."). :silly::crazy::p

Welcome and good luck to Sather!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I really liked this passage from Wayne Nelson's article today:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/1357299-NELSON-New-UND-coach-charged-with-making-mens-basketball-a-big-deal-again

This is an idea that Tom Buning never embraced. Sather wouldn't have gotten the time of day from Buning. Buning would probably have hired the equipment manager at Duke ("Well, he has lots of Division I experience."). :silly::crazy::p

Welcome and good luck to Sather!

Good Article by Wayne.   I think Paul will do a very good job.

• Upvote 2