SiouxSports.com Forum

Game of Thrones: UND Edition.

Frozen4sioux

17 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I intend to take a wait and see attitude with Armacost.    I'm just not excited about ex military guys, they often seem like they are a bad fit.   Hopefully I get proven wrong.

Same.  And just to be clear, it's not that he was in the military, but that he was an academic administrator for the military.  Hopefully he proves us wrong and also has better luck with the STEM professors at UND than he did at the Air Force Academy.

51 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Same.  And just to be clear, it's not that he was in the military, but that he was an academic administrator for the military.  Hopefully he proves us wrong and also has better luck with the STEM professors at UND than he did at the Air Force Academy.

It appears, in this situation, we are satisfied with getting the best of the Average.  We hold our sports teams to a higher standard?

53 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

It appears, in this situation, we are satisfied with getting the best of the Average.  We hold our sports teams to a higher standard?

Bringing back Clifford was discussed, however there remains kinks in the unfreezing process that need to be worked out.  Sorry to disappoint some of you.  

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

A one star should have the leadership abilities needed for the job. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I my be biased because I'm in the AF, but I don't really understand the apprehension towards former military members. The former military members I've met in academia were some of my best professors. Are there any specific examples of military leaders not working out at UND? 

I'm not aware of any at UND, but the current Chancellor of the university system along with one of his vice chancellors are both pretty worthless.

12 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I my be biased because I'm in the AF, but I don't really understand the apprehension towards former military members. The former military members I've met in academia were some of my best professors. Are there any specific examples of military leaders not working out at UND? 

Tom Buning, former assistant AD at Army, was in way over his head as UND athletic director and did not endear himself to the fans or alumni.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Irish said:

Tom Buning, former assistant AD at Army, was in way over his head as UND athletic director and did not endear himself to the fans or alumni.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there are more Cliffords than Bunings out there...Go Sioux!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Irish said:

You're comparing an athletic department employee to a career academic? Seriously? 

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

You're comparing an athletic department employee to a career academic? Seriously? 

No - I was replying to the specific question from Rebel Sioux  "Are there any specific examples of military leaders not working out at UND? " Buning was military and did not work out.  Not comparing anything.

• Upvote 2

On 12/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, Rebel_Sioux said:

My take on former military higher ups is they are used to giving orders and expecting people to jump.   They don't look at all sides and sometimes they don't understand compromise when it's needed.  Someone already said Armacost was thin skinned, coming from a co worker apparently.   We don't need someone that's too demanding.   Yes,  Tom Buning is a prime example, but also remember Gene Taylor at NDSU.  He was ex Naval Academy and look how overbearing and dictatorial he was often times.

11 hours ago, Hawkster said:

My take on former military higher ups is they are used to giving orders and expecting people to jump.   They don't look at all sides and sometimes they don't understand compromise when it's needed.  Someone already said Armacost was thin skinned, coming from a co worker apparently.   We don't need someone that's too demanding.   Yes,  Tom Buning is a prime example, but also remember Gene Taylor at NDSU.  He was ex Naval Academy and look how overbearing and dictatorial he was often times.

Wasn't it Gene Taylor that turned around the SU football program?

7 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

No, but it was Gene Taylor that acted like a bully when he didn't get his way on anything.

Once Whiskey Joe left in '09 Gene didn't get a complete pass on everything and had to then face some accountability.

Well Dr. Armacost is my new boss and I can honestly say I was initially thinking oh great. However after his open forum and being able to talk with him personally, he appears at first blush like a really great pick and super nice guy. He is a very intelligent man and I got the sense he was really excited to be apart of UND. I have a much better feeling about him than I did with the last two presidents.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

The GF Herald stretching the definition of "UND connections" to unbelievable extremes, damn near the breaking point.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4845677-When-Mark-Kennedy-was-named-president-at-U-of-Colorado-he-was-chosen-ahead-of-others-with-UND-connections

One "connection" had no such connection at the time, the other was a one-time commencement speaker who may not have even had that on her calendar when she applied.

#clickbait

20 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The GF Herald stretching the definition of "UND connections" to unbelievable extremes, damn near the breaking point.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4845677-When-Mark-Kennedy-was-named-president-at-U-of-Colorado-he-was-chosen-ahead-of-others-with-UND-connections

One "connection" had no such connection at the time, the other was a one-time commencement speaker who may not have even had that on her calendar when she applied.

#clickbait

I was curious when I saw this but when I read it and saw it......

move on GF Herald, your hatred is still showing.