SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 DI Mens Ice Hockey Championship

Cratter

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I don’t know if that’s the case or not because parity is so much more pronounced and everybody plays decent defense now, but coming off of last year’s upset you sure can make a case for it.  To come our like they did is unbelievable.  I imagine the NHL leeches are hanging in the hallway outside St. Cloud’s locker room.  Two years in a row we would have had a nice path to the Frozen Four if we would have made the regional.

That's the nuts of it, Denver is in the seat we should have been. That stings.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Big difference.

Minnesota was a traditional winner, lots of hockey history.
St. Cloud is like Univ. New Hampshire, UNH = University of  No Hardware.
The Clowns are in the habit of chocking as #1 seed in NCAAs.

History/program status shouldn't factor in.  Gophers also had 10,000 plus cheering loudly against them at the Ralph.  SCSU was #1 pairwise and pretty much #1 all year...30-5-3.  AIC was 31st in pairwise...first tourney appearance,  23-16-1.    Hats off to AIC!!!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I think that is a bigger choke job/upset than MN vs. Holy Cross.

I came here specifically to quote this.

It's just proof that there is tremendous depth in the player pool and D1 college hockey needs expansion badly.  There needs to be more programs.

2 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

History/program status shouldn't factor in.  Gophers also had 10,000 plus cheering loudly against them at the Ralph.  SCSU was #1 pairwise and pretty much #1 all year...30-5-3.  AIC was 31st in pairwise...first tourney appearance,  23-16-1.    Hats off to AIC!!!

But back then Bluebloods like Minnesota and North Dakota simply wouldn’t lose to a team like Holy Cross or Canisius.  Happens much more often now.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

If AIC beats Denver and goes to the F4, hats off to them.
Holy Cross lost next day to the Sioux. We'll see how the regional plays out?

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If AIC beats Denver and goes to the F4, hats off to them.
Holy Cross lost next day to the Sioux. We'll see how the regional plays out?

Like people said, parity rules now.  Just super surprised by the result after watching SCSU win so many games this season.  I truly thought they were going to hang 1st banner.

16 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Their clinically insane fan (Mike Grimes) is apparently off Twitter now. Any other off-the-rails accounts to laugh at? 

Honestly I feel bad for their fans, but seeing Twitter meltdowns is always funny.

EDIT: never mind, found him. Did not disappoint!

How can I find his twitter page? 

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Like people said, parity rules now.  Just super surprised by the result after watching SCSU win so many games this season.  I truly thought they were going to hang 1st banner.

I picked them to win it in the SS pool, should of known better. Some teams just get snake bit, and can't get away from it? After all they are not that far from the Vikings!

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, tnt said:

I don’t know if that’s the case or not because parity is so much more pronounced and everybody plays decent defense now, but coming off of last year’s upset you sure can make a case for it.  To come out like they did is unbelievable.  I imagine the NHL leeches are hanging in the hallway outside St. Cloud’s locker room just like they did when we lost to BU in Fargo. Two years in a row we would have had a nice path to the Frozen Four if we would have made the regional.

Yep.

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

"motzko recruits"... 

already appearing

Ive never attempted to post there but tried to register to sell tickets but my ip is banned, probably anything from ND ....

I keep thinking back to that a hole St. Cloud fan from last Saturday who ran out of the men’s room without washing his hands with his belt undone only to cut in front of another fan at the top of the stairs so he could see the game play before heading to his seat. What a class act. Hope he got a birds eye view of AIC’s goals tonight. 

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

SCSU's fan board is not letting anybody new on!  That's kinda funny.

i was actually going to congratulate them on a great season, and I was denied...which is pretty funny, considering LinkedIn and siouxsports is my only online presence

That’s funny! They don’t want any UND or Gopher fans coming on there and talking crap! 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, MafiaMan said:

In order, who I would like to win the NCAA championship this year:

#1.  Providence College.  I know, I know, they just won it a few years ago, but PC is near MafiaMom's old stomping grounds up there in RI.  The Friars have always been my second-favorite team.  And who doesn't love those skating friar jerseys?

#2.  Bowling Green.  Now this would be a nice story for a program that hasn't done much since the mid 1980's.  And they have a Bismark Century kid on the roster, to boot, in Alec Rauhauser.  Sentimental choice.   

#3.  Minnesota State.  Not really a fan of those gaudy purple uniforms, but this is another program where an NCAA championship would cause heads just up the road on Hwy 169 to explode.  And Jared Spooner's a Bismarck High School kid, too, so there's that.  

#4.  Northeastern@Wilbur  What if I told you that a Boston school won the NCAA hockey title...and it wasn't BU, BC, or Harvard?  ESPN 30 for 30 presents...The Huskies You've Never Heard Of.  

#5.  UMass.  Yes, this continues to violate the policy of hating Hockey East, but UMass has been a doormat for a long time.  Bonus as BU and BC might just shut down their respective programs if the Minutemen win the title.  

#6.  American International College.  While some might view this as a slap in the face to NCAA men's hockey, it actually would make me feel better about the Canisius College series.  Raise your hand if you knew that the Yellow Jackets have been playing hockey since 1948.  Anyone?  Anyone?    

#7.  Cornell.  Yea, the Big Red has typically been the Big Dud come NCAA tournament time, but this program is loaded with history and tradition.  I could rally around that like I did around Yale's 2013 run (wow, has that been that long ago already?).  Cody Haiskanen played at Fargo Davies and with the Force, too.  

#8.  Arizona State.  My heart says 'no'...the long-lost puck bunny admirer in me says 'yes.'  

#11.  Denver.  This would make @stoneySIOUX go mad, which is why I can't have them farther down the list.  @Godsmack , I know you won't like DU this high either, but who you gonna swap places with in five below this?  

#14.  Quinnipiac.  I'm tempted to pull for the team that's had such heartbreak in recent in years...then I remembered that Rand Pecknold is their coach.  That logo sucks too.  

#15.  Notre Dame.  Do you really want to go thru the off-season listening to @JohnboyND7 yap about NDSU's football championship AND Notre Dame's hockey natty?  Yea, I didn't think so.  

#16.  Minnesota Duluth.  This really is more of a concern about @DrunkHockeyGuy and his health than anything.  I'd hate to see him requiring a liver transplant after winning a 2nd consecutive national title.  Bruce Ciskie is so likable, though, so it's hard to, wait, no it's not.      

Not bad!  Four games in and #9, 10, 12, and 13 on my list are already gone.

The game was what it was--St Cloud choking once again, 3rd time in 4 years for this heavy senior class.

The ice looked good at the start of game 1. But it was really not good at all by game 2. St. Cloud had major issues with their finesse style play, especially on the PP.

Could not count the number of whiffs or miss-plays during good shooting attempts- or even passes. Especially R. Poehling… when set up on PP.

But credit AIC- they actually had more good scoring chances than Cloud until the very end, despite only 13 shots on goal. And a 3rd goal disallowed as it was 1-2 seconds after a period end. As well as a crossbar miss.

As it turns out, looks like all goals were scored by AIC- as I think the Cloud goal went in off an AIC Dman….

I feel bad for the NCHC (national champion hockey conference), as this looked to be St. Clouds year, finally.

The Scheels arena looks likely to be a tomb tomorrow- AIC vs Denver? Saw maybe a dozen Denver fans. AIC had under 700 per game at home. so....no one here but Sioux fans making a Holy Cross type statement.