SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha at UND Gameday (March 8)

GoalieMask

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Didn't play in the 3rd. Kudos to Berry but did it need to get to game #34 to do it?!?!

Yah, but finally got benched when it didn't matter though.  Do it 2 - 3 weeks ago (bench him) when it mattered and perhaps we win a game or two extra.  When he got benched tonight it didn't matter either way really as W Mich had all but officially won their game and whether we win or lose Fri or Sat we know we have to go on the road next week and then go on to win the Frozen Face-off in St Paul to make the ncaa.

6 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Yup, spot on.  Tonight's game a microcosm of the whole season.  Tons of shots on goal but only like 1 goal after 30 shots while UNO ties it up on like only 12 shots (luckily that one shot they had 1st period went off the post).  How does this proud hockey program with it's recruiting, facilities, etc. have a team with such lack-luster finishing/goal scoring/offensive creativity that equates to a Yugo?  So sick of it when programs such as Mia, Neb-O, CC, W. MIch, etc. have more offensively skilled players than we do?  It boggles my mind.  Just so frustrated after these last 2 - 3 seasons.    

Been saying it for awhile, all these players don’t just forget how to score, Berry’s system where D men lead the team in shots and score more goals then the fowards is handicapping their creativity, along with some very poor lineups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Been saying it for awhile, all these players don’t just forget how to score, Berry’s system where D men lead the team in shots and score more goals then the fowards is handicapping their creativity, along with some very poor lineups.

That may be a legit criticism, but how, exactly, is Berry's system different from Hak's?

This is just my opinion but Berry’s system focuses on the D men, cycle cycle then back to the D men for s shot. Other teams take everything to the net we kick it back to our defense, on the power play they do this also. When have we worked it down low on the power play ? There has to be a reason these players come in and just lose their scoring touch.

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Incredibly disingenuous of FSN to list their conference ranking next to their name. Makes the casual viewer think they are 3rd and 6th in the country.

7 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Are you freaking serious?  Nobody does that.  Wow, spot on, very disingenuous/misleading.  Cheap.

While kind of dumb, I gave them a pass.  It's their conference tournament, so the numbers actually kind of make sense.  I'm sure the twelve people watching knew they weren't really 3 & 6 in the country.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

While kind of dumb, I gave them a pass.  It's their conference tournament, so the numbers actually kind of make sense.  I'm sure the twelve people watching knew they weren't really 3 & 6 in the country.

Question:  If the puck hit a pipe at a UMinn-UMich hockey game and no one was around to hear it, does it make a sound?

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I agree 100%.  They might not quite be as defensively sound as we are but (and I'm stating the obvious) their offense is certainly superior to ours (like 2/3 of college hockey teams I'm guessing).

But their Hobey candidate/world class superstar Chris Wilkie is injured, how ever will they manage!?!?!

9 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This is just my opinion but Berry’s system focuses on the D men, cycle cycle then back to the D men for s shot. Other teams take everything to the net we kick it back to our defense, on the power play they do this also. When have we worked it down low on the power play ? There has to be a reason these players come in and just lose their scoring touch.

Lost you at “This is just my opinion “

I thought siouxsports only dealt with facts!

:whistling:  :)

30 minutes ago, burd said:

That may be a legit criticism, but how, exactly, is Berry's system different from Hak's?

I'm in this boat, where I think the problem is more with the talent on the roster than with the system. We've talked ad nauseam about the Junior class, but it's a genuine problem. It appears starting next year that Berry has learned from this problem, with the forwards that are lined up, so it's really wait and see mode with this offense. Some talk about guys who put up big numbers in Juniors that haven't materialized, which is true, but when you look at this forward group, it probably isn't as big as it may seem.

Contributing: Kawaguchi, Jones

Falls into that category: Adams, Mismash, Hoff, Weatherby, Gardner, JJ -- outside of Hoff, you can make an argument there's still significant upside with Adams (needs the right linemates), Mismash (had a solid Freshman season with 22 points, hurt most second half) and Weatherby (Freshman). Gardner outside of this year has had a solid (not great) career offensively, but like the rest of the team is having his worst year offensively of his career. 

Solid Juniors: Hain - Meeting expectations for his Freshman year, but should have been looked at as a Solid 3rd liner on a good team.

I don't know what you expected category (Freshman): Senden, Keane -- Senden has wildly outplayed expectations. Keane has been fine, given his junior stats

I don't know what you expected: Smith, Bowen, Yon, Johnson

After breaking it down, it's a little more 50/50, but my thought still stands on the roster construction. You can't have that many in the 'I don't know what you expected category'. The chances of a guy who doesn't materialize is much higher than someone who can't score in Juniors magically finding a scoring touch in college. 

1 hour ago, BIGSIOUX said:

I’m first to eat some crow this am. Yon played a great game, as if he were skating for next years scholarship. Johnson also played above his average ability. 

Yon did play extremely well last night. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

Hak's was meat and potatoes old school Canadian.  Get the puck deep, cycle down low and hit like they impregnated your sister.  Physical neutral zone play looking to create chances the other way.  Frattin's group was probably the ideal team to play that system.  

*Also* Set Ryan Duncan up to the goalies left in the area from the dot to the top of the circle and let him shoot.  I liked that system best.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Yah, but finally got benched when it didn't matter though.  Do it 2 - 3 weeks ago (bench him) when it mattered and perhaps we win a game or two extra.  When he got benched tonight it didn't matter either way really as W Mich had all but officially won their game and whether we win or lose Fri or Sat we know we have to go on the road next week and then go on to win the Frozen Face-off in St Paul to make the ncaa.

This^^^^^^^.  They said in the Herald the team knew that going into the third period they would be on the road regardless.  So then......(not after Duluth, not after CC, not after it happened at the end of the first period last night) was the time to finally bench the guy when he essentially couldn't hurt them any more than he already has with terrible penalties.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Irish said:

Random thoughts after getting back from the game and having several beers.

- The boys played hard, but were hampered because we have no finishers - none (side note - how in the hell does St. Cloud who has never made it out of the first round of anything out recruit us and have a bunch of scorers -  makes absolutely no sense)

- Our power play is an embarrassment to the sport of hockey - 8 draft picks and this is the best we can do?

- After our senior captain put us in another 5 on 3 and then took a stupid penalty because he couldn't finish a breakaway my first thought was wow - one more penalty and Bubs will sit JBD again.  Can you imagine this crap happening with Blais or Hak in charge?  I don't care if I had to skate the walk-on goalie at center, he should be sitting.  No excuse.  And if I was AD I would take this as a big indication Berry can't handle the team.  We are seriously under powered and it looks like Mr. Culture has his hands full with this team.  I hope things get better but wow - St. Cloud skating circles around us? 

The AD will take it seriously when crowds start dwindling like they are at Minn.  If scoring continues to be a problem and our PP continues to be this bad, a big hit to revenue will follow. 

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hak's was meat and potatoes old school Canadian.  Get the puck deep, cycle down low and hit like they impregnated your sister.  Physical neutral zone play looking to create chances the other way.  Frattin's group was probably the ideal team to play that system.  

*Also* Set Ryan Duncan up to the goalies left in the area from the dot to the top of the circle and let him shoot.  I liked that system best.  

That was beautiful when Ryan would slip into the left slot unnoticed when they’d have to double team both TJ and JT. 

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This^^^^^^^.  They said in the Herald the team knew that going into the third period they would be on the road regardless.  So then......(not after Duluth, not after CC, not after it happened at the end of the first period last night) was the time to finally bench the guy when he essentially couldn't hurt them any more than he already has with terrible penalties.  

Wouldn't expect anything less from Berry. At least he did it but it did not impact anything of significance and didn't take a lot of stones to pull the trigger based on this situation. Basically a hollow tough guy move.

4 hours ago, George M. Bluth said:

You are underestimating the arrogance of U-Minnesota and U-Michigan hockey fans.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

They were trying to do that almost all night. Some passes off a bit, sometimes winger wasn’t squared up for quick shot, too many missed the net and others on target but didn’t miss goalie.