SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha at UND Gameday (March 8)

GoalieMask

6 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This is just my opinion but Berry’s system focuses on the D men, cycle cycle then back to the D men for s shot. Other teams take everything to the net we kick it back to our defense, on the power play they do this also. When have we worked it down low on the power play ? There has to be a reason these players come in and just lose their scoring touch.

No problems with our effort last night (other than our Senior Captain and the Coach who enables him).  The lack of talent up front is stunning.  And it is worse when you actually look at the stats.  Of the NCHC overall scoring stats, the highest Sioux is Kawaguchi who is tied for 25th.  St. Cloud has 7 (count em - 7) players ahead of him.  Omaha has 4.  And it's not just our dead weight Junior Class.  When looking at only Freshmen, our highest scorer is tied for 12th and he's a defenseman (JBD).  Our highest scoring forward is Senden at 19th among all NCHC frosh.  St. Cloud again has 3 frosh scoring more than Senden - Denver has 5.  The top freshman scorer is Taylor Ward and we can watch him tonight because he's at Omaha.  I know that next year's class is looked at to be the saviors of our program, but with our recruiting advantages and being 3 years from a Championship there is absolutely no excuse for this - none.  Things need to turn around in a hurry. 

Some nights the effort is outstanding, the next night they crap themselves.  Is that not on the coaches?  watching "thru these doors" and hearing Jackson telling Gardner that he was playing fast and doing the right things had me scratching my head, is he a fast player, cause he looks slow and behind a lot....  Something mental is wrong behind the scenes, lots of speculation, someone is likely right, hope they can figure it out.  I think 22 is frustrated and letting it get the better of him, can Hak guest coach for the playoffs.  I have to think Hak is near the program, beers with berry nightly at very least.  Didn't Kober volunteer coach for a while...  Would Hak be effective in a non head coach role?  Can Arch and Eades just come to practice twice a week and install some desire?  Sad that this is last home game, maybe last televised game (I assume western michigan will be online pay only)...   thinking beer mid-afternoon is not a good look for me...

22 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Some nights the effort is outstanding, the next night they crap themselves.  Is that not on the coaches?  watching "thru these doors" and hearing Jackson telling Gardner that he was playing fast and doing the right things had me scratching my head, is he a fast player, cause he looks slow and behind a lot....  Something mental is wrong behind the scenes, lots of speculation, someone is likely right, hope they can figure it out.  I think 22 is frustrated and letting it get the better of him, can Hak guest coach for the playoffs.  I have to think Hak is near the program, beers with berry nightly at very least.  Didn't Kober volunteer coach for a while...  Would Hak be effective in a non head coach role?  Can Arch and Eades just come to practice twice a week and install some desire?  Sad that this is last home game, maybe last televised game (I assume western michigan will be online pay only)...   thinking beer mid-afternoon is not a good look for me...

Funny you should mention that. Tim Hennessy had Hak on last Tuesday. While it's true that Berry lives two house from Hak, he's still in New Jersey and won't be back till later in the spring. 

57 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

For those wondering, i did ask for feedback on the kneeing no call. 

After Saturday's game against SCSU, a few of us had a discussion about Jimmy Schuldt's hit on Mismash. A representative of the NCHC felt that was a hockey play and no penalty was warranted. Todd Anderson told Berry that he saw the hit and he wasn't going to review it. So, when JBD hit Tristan Keck I turned to the person next to me and said, hockey play, right? Keck miraculously recovered and was back out on the ice. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

After Saturday's game against SCSU, a few of us had a discussion about Jimmy Schuldt's hit on Mismash. A representative of the NCHC felt that was a hockey play and no penalty was warranted. Todd Anderson told Berry that he saw the hit and he wasn't going to review it. So, when JBD hit Tristan Keck I turned to the person next to me and said, hockey play, right? Keck miraculously recovered and was back out on the ice. 

I saw a video of it on Twitter, I didn't think JBD deserved a penalty. He didn't stick out his knee in the video and would have hit him square on if the Omaha player didn't move to avoid the hit.  

2 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

Maybe not as bad, still knee on knee.  Those hits in general are bad.  Saw a lot of them this week in the Minnesota high school tournament.

Except it wouldn't have been knee on knee had the Omaha player not tried to dodge the hit. You see JBD pull his own leg back so the impact was minimized. This hit was a non-issue.

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

They were trying to do that almost all night. Some passes off a bit, sometimes winger wasn’t squared up for quick shot, too many missed the net and others on target but didn’t miss goalie. 

They have been using that play all season.  Every goalie knows what the plan is.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I saw a video of it on Twitter, I didn't think JBD deserved a penalty. He didn't stick out his knee in the video and would have hit him square on if the Omaha player didn't move to avoid the hit.  

Yeah, I don't think it deserved a penalty either. 

3 hours ago, Old Fella said:

They have been using that play all season.  Every goalie knows what the plan is.

3 hours ago, Old Fella said:

Most teams try same or similar. St. Cloud power play set up looked similar today.