SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha at UND Gameday (March 8)

GoalieMask

26 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Pretty sure he's benched.  Havent seen him on the ice for at least 8 min

Didn't play in the 3rd. Kudos to Berry but did it need to get to game #34 to do it?!?!

Random thoughts after getting back from the game and having several beers.

- The boys played hard, but were hampered because we have no finishers - none (side note - how in the hell does St. Cloud who has never made it out of the first round of anything out recruit us and have a bunch of scorers -  makes absolutely no sense)

- Our power play is an embarrassment to the sport of hockey - 8 draft picks and this is the best we can do?

- After our senior captain put us in another 5 on 3 and then took a stupid penalty because he couldn't finish a breakaway my first thought was wow - one more penalty and Bubs will sit JBD again.  Can you imagine this crap happening with Blais or Hak in charge?  I don't care if I had to skate the walk-on goalie at center, he should be sitting.  No excuse.  And if I was AD I would take this as a big indication Berry can't handle the team.  We are seriously under powered and it looks like Mr. Culture has his hands full with this team.  I hope things get better but wow - St. Cloud skating circles around us? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

(side note - how in the hell does St. Cloud who has never made it out of the first round of anything out recruit us and have a bunch of scorers -  makes absolutely no sense)

-I hope things get better but wow - St. Cloud skating circles around us? 

SCSU has won the regular season title in the toughest conference in the country 3 or 6 years.  This is not your daddy's SCSU.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, burd said:

SCSU has won the regular season title in the toughest conference in the country 3 or 6 years.  This is not your daddy's SCSU.

I know, but what the hell - why can't we get guys that can score?  What recruiting advantages do they have over us?

This will sound dumb, given they've won the last two games, but my concern with Berry is I still don't believe he's maximizing the potential of this team with his line combinations. I understand this team is offensively challenged, but what doesn't help is putting the leading scorer with two offensive anchors. You can't spread out the scoring when this team can't score to begin with. Did we find out if Adams is hurt? If not, there's no reason he shouldn't be in the line up. This team needs Mismash to get back to full game action and Adams back in the lineup.

1 hour ago, burd said:

And has won zero NCAA titles. If I am not mistaken has been beaten in the first round two of those three years. Yes, they're great in the regular season, but suck in the NCAA playoffs. 

UND beat them one year in the regional final in Fargo. 

6 hours ago, Feff said:

I'd like to see a sweep. I'd like to see entertaining hockey. But given how this team has been most of the season i foresee a split and some ugly hockey. 

Yup, spot on.  Tonight's game a microcosm of the whole season.  Tons of shots on goal but only like 1 goal after 30 shots while UNO ties it up on like only 12 shots (luckily that one shot they had 1st period went off the post).  How does this proud hockey program with it's recruiting, facilities, etc. have a team with such lack-luster finishing/goal scoring/offensive creativity that equates to a Yugo?  So sick of it when programs such as Mia, Neb-O, CC, W. MIch, etc. have more offensively skilled players than we do?  It boggles my mind.  Just so frustrated after these last 2 - 3 seasons.    

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Incredibly disingenuous of FSN to list their conference ranking next to their name. Makes the casual viewer think they are 3rd and 6th in the country.

Are you freaking serious?  Nobody does that.  Wow, spot on, very disingenuous/misleading.  Cheap.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 1972 said:

Yeah.   Easy to call the GOALIE for interference.  But it's 22. So it must be on him

Agree.  I'll be the last to defend Gardner and his propensity for taking  stupid/costly penalties but on that play the goalie is behind his net and Gardner tries to squeeze between him ant the net to pursue the puck and somehow gets a goalie interference call against him.  Huh?  It was plainly the refs looking at reputation only and trying (which they did) evening the penalty calls at two apiece.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Sunday’s Minneapolis Star Tribune:  “Minnesota Eliminate’s Men’s Hockey Program”

Sunday Twin Cities Twitter:

“THEY WERE LITERALLY PULLED OFF THE ICE!”

Wednesday's Fargo Herald 3 days later:  "Minnesota Eliminates Men's Hockey Program". 

3 hours ago, fsioux said:

If you are Denver or Western Michigan they would probably prefer to play UND than CC.

I agree 100%.  They might not quite be as defensively sound as we are but (and I'm stating the obvious) their offense is certainly superior to ours (like 2/3 of college hockey teams I'm guessing).