SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

It does come off to pandering to the #siouxforever crowd to keep the Sioux part of tthe old scoreboard and put it on the new scoreboard.  There is plenty of Sioux logo's in the arena so it's not like it is completely out of place.  The bigger concern of mine is not that the REA is continuing to display the Sioux logo.  It's the REA's reluctance to display the Fighting Hawks logo.  Yes, I see that it's on the scoreboard and that's great.  But besides on the video boards, where else can you see the new logo?  I am all for honoring the our past and the Fighting Sioux name and logo.  But that must be balanced with moving forward with our new name and logo of the Fighting Hawks.  Both can exist in the world of UND athletics.  Time for the REA to realize that.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No one said it isn't part of the history, which is why there are banners in the rafters showing the logo (though there should technically be no green banners with the Brien logo, but that's a separate argument).  However, I fail to see how having to build a custom structure for a multi-million dollar scoreboard to incorporate something unnecessary can be "important to continue the transition". In fact, seems counter-intuitive as it continues to give people false hope and a reason to hold on to something that is gone and not coming back. They went out of their way to keep it.  The other hundreds of logos already displayed in the main arena aren't good enough?

Keeping something would be on the side of holding true to the history while adding the new logo and name, like they did throughout the scoreboard, is what would help the tradition. Getting rid of it would have ticked a lot of. 

Just one man's opinion. I think this scoreboard shows a lot of Hawk logo. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It does come off to pandering to the #siouxforever crowd to keep the Sioux part of tthe old scoreboard and put it on the new scoreboard.  There is plenty of Sioux logo's in the arena so it's not like it is completely out of place.  The bigger concern of mine is not that the REA is continuing to display the Sioux logo.  It's the REA's reluctance to display the Fighting Hawks logo.  Yes, I see that it's on the scoreboard and that's great.  But besides on the video boards, where else can you see the new logo?  I am all for honoring the our past and the Fighting Sioux name and logo.  But that must be balanced with moving forward with our new name and logo of the Fighting Hawks.  Both can exist in the world of UND athletics.  Time for the REA to realize that.

It's literally going to be shown at ALL TIMES during the game, by the score, which is the most important part. C'mon.

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this scoreboard shows a lot of Hawk logo. 

The video board will show the Hawk logo when a game is in progress, which they don't really have a choice because that is literally the only logo UND currently has. They went out of their way to have the structure custom built in order to permanently build in an unnecessary old logo. I guess I see a huge difference in the two, but let me know when the REA puts it's first permanent or even semi-permanent Hawks logo in place. Hell, even on the ice would be a start. It is not all that different from when they did some renovations in the lower portion a few years ago and spent extra time/money to work around some existing FS logos because they couldn't replace them if they were taken out. I'm speaking as someone who has dozens of FS logo's throughout my house. It isn't that they are being displayed/honored/recognized, it is that they are straight up pandering to a group who refuses to accept the reality that UND has a new name and logo. Things like this continue to give that thought process validation.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The video board will show the Hawk logo when a game is in progress, which they don't really have a choice because that is literally the only logo UND currently has. They went out of their way to have the structure custom built in order to permanently build in an unnecessary old logo. I guess I see a huge difference in the two, but let me know when the REA puts it's first permanent or even semi-permanent Hawks logo in place. Hell, even on the ice would be a start. It is not all that different from when they did some renovations in the lower portion a few years ago and spent extra time/money to work around some existing FS logos because they couldn't replace them if they were taken out. I'm speaking as someone who has dozens of FS logo's throughout my house. It isn't that they are being displayed/honored/recognized, it is that they are straight up pandering to a group who refuses to accept the reality that UND has a new name and logo. Things like this continue to give that thought process validation.

I don't think it's pandering whatsoever. They (REA) just don't want to do it. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

This spot on. I think the REA realizes that the bulk of alumni/donors that have had time to work hard and donate their hard earned money are the Fighting Sioux crowd. The Hawks logo is still in its infancy and doesn’t have a lot alumni that has only known the Hawks logo. Give it time and it will slowly shift. I don’t think we should ever rid the REA of the Fighting Sioux logo as it is an important part of our history. Plus it’s just fun to hear about all the people that get so butt hurt about seeing it. 

I agree with this 100%. I understand the Hawks crowd (this seems like I'm anti-Hawk, which I'm not) has adopted the "get over it", mantra. That way of thinking doesn't seem logical, to me. I've said from the beginning that I believe the logo will take time to fully become accepted. I see this scoreboard change as another step. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with this 100%. I understand the Hawks crowd (this seems like I'm anti-Hawk, which I'm not) has adopted the "get over it", mantra. That way of thinking doesn't seem logical, to me. I've said from the beginning that I believe the logo will take time to fully become accepted. I see this scoreboard change as another step. 

It not so much the not moving on, it’s the childish way a ton of people are acting about the entire situation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They need to "get over it", as finding a reason to whine over a spectacular new scoreboard seems petty.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

New scoreboard is stunning, obviously. 

Like I said from day one, retrofitting a masterpiece like that with part of the old scoreboard, just so we can have the sioux logo ("the precious") underneath it, can be described by many adjectives that I won't rehash.

As the months roll by, and this same crap keeps happening, I find myself moving farther and farther away from UND hockey, and closer and closer to UND football, basketball, and volleyball.   The UND volleyball photo shoot the other day is a great example of these other programs moving on, while the hockey program/sioux forever folks keep clinging to the past.  (please, no sexist remarks about the photo, that wasn't my intent when I posted it)

UND VB Hawks.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's literally going to be shown at ALL TIMES during the game, by the score, which is the most important part. C'mon.

1 logo on each side of the scoreboard next to the score (4 total Fighting Hawk logos)......2500 Sioux logos.  Narrowing the gap!! #progress ;)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, franchise said:

Is the REA under any obligation to start putting up the Hawks logo?

It doesn't seem that difficult to understand that REA wouldn't even exist, if it weren't for RE.  It's not surprising that they aren't in a rush to wipe out a logo that was loved and supported by the man responsible for the whole arena in the first place.

Is the REA under any obligation to benefit UND as a whole?

According to the founding documents of REA, Inc., yes they are.

• Upvote 2