SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Maybe you’re more optimistic than me...but I see an 0-8 stretch as a VERY real possibility coming up...

Absolutely correct on this. We lost three games and squeeked out three wins against very poor teams in our last six games. We haven’t seen a quality team in a month and a half. This is going to get ugly. I would say if we overachieve, we might get a win and tie in the next eight games. 

That's really one of the biggest changes to this team in the last 2 years.  These games that we are barely winning, and for sure the losses, are games the Sioux would normally win handily.  There would be an occasional lapse against NCHC teams like a CC int the past, and that was understandable--but these games, especially the last 6, there's no excuse.  Even our wins could have gone either way.  BB needs to go, he has had the time to make a difference and he can't.  Losing begets losing and pretty soon the good recruits will be looking elsewhere to go play. Sadly I agree that there is no way they will buy out his contract.  9-3? I don't think that actually does it--but why even talk about it--it's like discussing where I would take Kate Upton on our first date.  Wishful thinking but it ain't going to happen.  When you have better talent then the teams you are consistently losing to at some point you just have to blame the coaches

I’ll still support and watch but damn this dumpster fire gets frustrating!

The team has to play with so little  marginal error to be in a game to compete or even when actually winning the game. It’s tough to watch. That blowout game against the USNDT was sure nice to watch. however, again,  that was an exhibition game for cripes sake!  

Positives:

Scheel  - Couldn’t ask for more from a freshie goalie. He’s gonna have an amazing career. Selfishly, I hope he stays for 4 years   

JBD - Couldn’t ask for more from a freshie defenseman. #Stud #APlayer he gone after 2 years, unfortunately. He’s too good  

Matt K. -  Elevated  his game this year to another level. Gawd he’s good. #Stud UND can’t be upset with his progression at all. He reminds me of past U of M defenseman studs that UND would never get. He’s gone above and beyond this year 

Wearherby, Hain, Keane - Effort is there, they’re progressing well and doing the best they can as freshies. Sad your supposed to be top 6 studs aren’t producing and these young fresihies have to press and carry the weight on their shoulders. Poor leadership from your top 6 minus Jones and Rhett efforts 

Rhett and N. Jones - Rhett is a warrior! Could you imagine how this years team would be if he didn’t come back for his senior year? I bet he was ~ 50/50 on leaving too. Unreal on face offs, unreal on the defensive game and can chip in enough on offense and is super difficult  to play against  Rhett will leave a legacy at UND. Some “idiots” on here rip him on his decision making regading “dumb” penalties. He’s done more than expected regarding his contributions this year and his UND career. Think how bad UND missed Corban Knight when his 4 years were over? 

Nick J  - Effort, energy, attitude is always there this year. Sucks he got injured in the first half...Could you imagine if he didn’t go back to juniors to open up to transfer to another college team? Could you imagine how !@#!$ UND would be without this guy the last two years? Keep doing what you’re doing, Nick! 

Negatives and the toxicity 

Hoff - need to put some pucks in the net. Great kid, person as whole, but damn he needs to bring it and step up. I cringed on Friday night when I realized he’s still only a junior...

Mishmash - all the talent and skill there. Get out of your head. Period.  I don’t know if he lacks confidence, he’s angry at something or someone, but holy buckets figure it out. Change your stick, lie, curve, use white tape moving forward etc. you’re suppose to be a top 6 forward and to score goals. Period.  If he played on a stacked UND team (like  the  2007 team) he’d be a 3rd or 4th line player. Go take the polar plunge or something to have a new omen or positive vibes moving forward.

Adams - all the talent in the world. Energy and effort is there. You’re suppose to be a top 6 stud. Score dammmit! Also, go take a polar plunge etc. too.  change your stick, curve, lie, use white type etc. do something right, do something wrong, figure it out. Please do something  

Joel J - Injured, it super sucks. This team needed you to pot at least 12 goals this year. Can’t be hard a on a player that’s been injured. But the UND coaching staff didn’t draw up this outcome for your senior year.

Neutral player

C. Poolman always been a fan. Effort and skill is always there. Great kid, person etc. can he lead? Idk... need a little more from him in the second half. Started the year out super strong  he was my dark horse for the hobey baker prior to year. Need a little more, do more. Think it’s midnset and action + execution moving forward at this point.

One more thing, coaching/coaches. Play  Josh Reiger at forward on 4th line and/or even over Casey Johnson. WTF aren’t you?!

Alright, move on.

St. Cloud next weekend. I’ll support and watch. Been a fun series regardless of the outcome. NCHC conference is a wagon. So good and so tough!

On a positive I'll have plenty of options jersey wise to pick from for the West Regional at Scheels in March. I could go USA Olympic,  Minnesota Wild, Old school/vintage UND Sioux, Vegas Golden Knights...........

• Upvote 2

From his body language I'm not sure that Mismash likes playing hockey.  There are times when he has the puck on his stick and it's like watching Wolanan skate with the puck and his talent is evident, because he is probably the most gifted player skill wise on the team.  

I was ticked at USA hockey last year when he wasn't given more of a look for the world juniors, but they obviously knew more than we did.

Others have said what I've been thinking too.  Could see him elsewhere next year for a fresh start. 

2 hours ago, johnsowe said:

Normally a split on the road is a good thing however not this year. Also bad luck keeps following UND. UNO second goal doesn't happen different game. I just hope UND is not in a BC kind of slide. Also what happened to the face offs? 

BC kind of slide?  For as crummy as that team has been this year, Jerry York’s crew still won 20 games last season.  Which program is sliding faster?

This is will be an unpopular point of view and not sure if I am even close to being onto something, but the coffee is good so what the heck.   A lot has been said about the father son duo the Shaws have, and I really cannot defend them, PP is abysmal, 28 appears to not even be able to push a cupcake to the middle of the table.  But there is another father son duo on the team...  and quite frankly the captains play lately has been sheet...   and watching our boys get knocked on their butts, unable to win puck battles, or foot races..   is there and issue here?   

• Upvote 1

Brutally honest opinions usually are unpopular.  I don’t know if it’s an issue.  I’ve not been a big Shaw hater, but he’s not on my list of players I’ll be sorry to see go either.  There was a time two seasons ago where I tried to make a case on this forum that, at the time, Gage Ausmus was more of a liability at the position than Hayden Shaw was.  I thought Ausmus was not good at all his senior year.  Christian Wolanin went through stretches last year when he was absolutely a liability at defense.  And maybe all that stuff is just harder to see when the team is doing well. But then you throw Brian Lee, and to a lesser extent, Jordan Schmaltz (sorry, he didn’t impress me for all the hype) in there and it shoots every theory all to heck.  I don’t disagree with your assessment on Poolman at all.  I was telling Mrs. Boogieman last weekend that I sure do miss having a Greene or MacWilliam type D-man on the roster.  But with the way the game is governed anymore, I don’t know if hockey players like that are welcome in the NCAA these days...

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Brutally honest opinions usually are unpopular.  I don’t know if it’s an issue.  I’ve not been a big Shaw hater, but he’s not on my list of players I’ll be sorry to see go either.  There was a time two seasons ago where I tried to make a case on this forum that, at the time, Gage Ausmus was more of a liability at the position than Hayden Shaw was.  I thought Ausmus was not good at all his senior year.  Christian Wolanin went through stretches last year when he was absolutely a liability at defense.  And maybe all that stuff is just harder to see when the team is doing well. But then you throw Brian Lee, and to a lesser extent, Jordan Schmaltz (sorry, he didn’t impress me for all the hype) in there and it shoots every theory all to heck.  I don’t disagree with your assessment on Poolman at all.  I was telling Mrs. Boogieman last weekend that I sure do miss having a Greene or MacWilliam type D-man on the roster.  But with the way the game is governed anymore, I don’t know if hockey players like that are welcome in the NCAA these days...

Boogiewoman?

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Stick a fork in 'em.....

That was a must win.  Just like last year, this version of UND lapses defensively, and quickly blows all the hard work.

I’m sorry, but I’ve lost track of the two dozen or so “must win” games this team has had over the past two seasons...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m sorry, but I’ve lost track of the two dozen or so “must win” games this team has had over the past two seasons...

They need a special jersey for big games to show they mean business....like when the Sioux used to wear the black jerseys

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

BC kind of slide?  For as crummy as that team has been this year, Jerry York’s crew still won 20 games last season.  Which program is sliding faster?

FWIW, I don't think BC has won an out-of-conference game since before UND played them at MSG in December of 2016.  That's not an exaggeration. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

FWIW, I don't think BC has won an out-of-conference game since before UND played them at MSG in December of 2016.  That's not an exaggeration. 

They're like 0-26-0 in non-conference play since.