SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

28 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

This one is disappointing after starting the third with the lead and 4 minutes of PP.  But, going into the weekend I was hoping for a split.  Sweeping at home and splitting on the road should be good enough to get us into the tourney, pending NCHC tourney results.

Normally agree but losing at twice at Canisius means you gotta sweep on the road at UNO, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Cue Wilbur.........

I didn't listen because I didn't want to hear TH talk about puck luck, Ole to puff his chest and talk over TH, and hear 60 minutes from Berry when they all just watched a lesser team outwork our team and win the game in the third period.  

3 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Normally agree but losing at twice at Canisius means you gotta sweep on the road at UNO, doesn't it?

Hey, look at the bright side...North Dakota is 3-3 in their last 6 games against heavyweights Canisius College, Colorado College, and Nebraska-Omaha.  Now we have the cupcakes coming up, so no worries at all, right?

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Tim Hennessy on the radio right now: "cause i'll get heat about it"...but i'm going to still say it....."puck luck."

Berry at least says "Puck luck is from hard work and creating your own chances."

Don’t really care what anyone says. TH is no hockey expert.  Just a big fan, there’s a difference.

22 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, assuming you take care of business against a Canisius College squad that is slightly better than @Godsmack‘s beer league team...

Exactly.  And in our situation (all tied to the putrid sweep by Canisius at their place), I prefer our odds to sweep at #40 PW ranked UNO vice us sweeping St. Clown or Duluth at home. 

1 minute ago, GoalieMask said:

According to Jim Dahl, UND pretty much has to go 9-3 from here in out to make it as an at-large (8 of those 12 games are vs St Cloud, Denver, DubMich and Duluth).

Or shock the world as a #5 or #6 seed possibly and win it all in St. Paul.

That’s only slightly better than the odds of Red Army Broomball making the Stanley Cup Playoffs...

5 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

We've only swept them twice in Omaha since they aligned with us in the WCHA/NCHC.  One of those was capped off with the outdoor game.  The other was two years ago when Omaha never showed up and we scored like 16 goals on the weekend.  Even our championship team split in Omaha.  Road conference games are never a given, and Omaha has been mostly splitsville for us.

11 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

We've only swept them twice in Omaha since they aligned with us in the WCHA/NCHC.  One of those was capped off with the outdoor game.  The other was two years ago when Omaha never showed up and we scored like 16 goals on the weekend.  Even our championship team split in Omaha.  Road conference games are never a given, and Omaha has been mostly splitsville for us.

And a split would have been all fine and dandy had North Dakota delivered A TOTAL A**-KICKING at Canisius two weeks ago.  

@stoneySIOUX, how are you feeling about the odds of NoDak going 9-3 the rest of the way?

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So this is why I’m not the Berry fan. I don’t care so much who recruited the players as much as I care who can get them to perform.

maybe my perspective changed as I get older, but I just felt like Hak got his players to care more. I don’t doubt this team get frustrated with the losses, but not enough to truly make changes. Game ends, pairwise drops, but the play doesn’t change much in the next week.

2 consecutive years of missing the tourney is completely unacceptable for this program. And I’m sorry if that means Berry taking the fall, but for no change to happen seems ridiculous. Shaw at the very least needs to go, the PP is the most embarrassing it’s ever been, and I don’t ever remember that being a huge UND strength.

I still say, bring back Hak. Before we get too far down the rabbit hole.

HTF does Shaw keep his job as PP coach?  Oh, that's right, his son is on the team.  Send him packing.  I'm pretty sure Hak is never coming back but Berry has to go, he got us that natty (thx) but he's now these past few years this program is heading...yoy.

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And a split would have been all fine and dandy had North Dakota delivered A TOTAL A**-KICKING at Canisius two weeks ago.  @stoneySIOUX, how are you feeling about the odds of NoDak going 9-3 the rest of the way?

I completely understand the Canisius storyline.  We all do.  The point of my original comment was in reference to what we needed to do to make the tourney after getting swept by Canisius.  It's like someone walking up to people having a conversation, hears one sentence, and starts adding input that makes no sense to what's being discussed.

There are 8 million different outcomes to the games remaining (waiting for WaPo fact check on real number), but the general idea of sweeping at home and splitting on the road would likely put us inside the bubble.  I understand that we have home weekends against some very tough teams and Omaha was a not very good road team.  

And yes, we should have swept Canisius.

Just now, Godsmack said:

They refused to review it. But I digress. If I say too much here someone will tell me to take it on over at the non-UND game thread. 

I'll take it on here.  Puck was high and he moved his glove purposely to deflect puck in the net.  No goal.  Easy after replay. 

• Upvote 1