SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

18 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

The last three weekends we are 3-3 with two of the wins in overtime.  The opponents are 52, 38, and 45 in the pairwise.  

Call them what they are, an average at best team.  At this point in the season you should be getting better.  I’m not seeing it. 

There is no reason to think anything will change for the better to allow this team to qualify based on pairwise.  The hole is too big and the team just keeps digging.  Their only slim hope is to win the conference tourney and there is little chance of that unless the defense and goaltending improve quite a bit. 

You said exactly my thoughts. Many folks were happy coming in with 3 game win streak but last wknd was at home vs a lowly CC team and we blew 2 goals lead and it took ot twice just to beat them.  We then had to overcome a blown 2 goal lead yet again last night to beat a lowly Neb-O team and then tonight we blow yet again a 2 goal lead and as predictable can't overcome it a 4th straight time (go to the well too often and...).  On the wknd, vs Neb-O total goals tied at 7 each.  We are what we are, an average team at best who can sometimes play well enough to beat a top team (as we've done a few times ) and also lose to not so good teams (as we've also done more that a few times).  That equates to average at best.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

There’s a fine line between being a loyal employee and being a total kiss-ass.

Agree, sooner or later you lose credibility.  These not so good results It can't be attributed to "puck luck" for a good 1-1/2 seasons, can it?  If so, then it has to be puck luck that got Berry his natty in 2016 (can't have it both ways...).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, willythekid said:

Brad Berry taking a page out of the Hakstol playbook...  Have the lead in the third?  Better get off the gas and play defensive, dump and chase hockey just praying that Omaha doesn't score...:angry:

Funny you should mention Hak...if he was still the coach, the rioters would already be lobbing Molotov cocktails at his house!

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I didn't listen because I didn't want to hear TH talk about puck luck, Ole to puff his chest and talk over TH, and hear 60 minutes from Berry when they all just watched a lesser team outwork our team and win the game in the third period.  

Don't disagree but to his credit, Olie did say post-game that the lower line forwards were more successful than the upper line forwards and implied more or less something should be done (changes I assume?) about that. 

4 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Don't disagree but to his credit, Olie did say post-game that the lower line forwards were more successful than the upper line forwards and implied more or less something should be done (changes I assume?) about that. 

WHAT?  CHANGES?  You guys just don’t get it!  If you trust the process, the wins will take care of themselves!  Just a little puck-luck next weekend is all we need!

Oh, and tell St Cloud State to pack their white jerseys because it’ll be another “business suit” weekend for sure!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hey, look at the bright side...North Dakota is 3-3 in their last 6 games against heavyweights Canisius College, Colorado College, and Nebraska-Omaha.  Now we have the cupcakes coming up, so no worries at all, right?

That, my man, puts it all in perspective.  Cripes...Is there a college hockey NIT out there?  We'd be the perfect team to win it this season, seriously.  Also, it would be another "natty" for Berry to add to his resume  (hey, it beats making the NCAA and losing in the FF :whistling:). 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

According to Jim Dahl, UND pretty much has to go 9-3 from here in out to make it as an at-large (8 of those 12 games are vs St Cloud, Denver, DubMich and Duluth).

Or shock the world as a #5 or #6 seed possibly and win it all in St. Paul.

We have to go 9-3 which includes 8 of 12 vs St Clown/Dul/WMU/Den?  And as Mafia Man just posted, we just went "PW powers"  (my words, not MM's) 3-3 vs Canisius/CC/UNO with 2 of those wins coming in overtime?  I'll take another drink, please.  Playoffs, playoffs,....  Yoy.

15 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

You mean Keane shouldn't out produce Mismash???? :lol:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

WHAT?  CHANGES?  You guys just don’t get it!  If you trust the process, the wins will take care of themselves!  Just a little puck-luck next weekend is all we need!

Oh, and tell St Cloud State to pack their white jerseys because it’ll be another “business suit” weekend for sure!

Do you think we could ask them to leave their sticks back in Stearns county too?

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

HTF does Shaw keep his job as PP coach?  Oh, that's right, his son is on the team.  Send him packing.  I'm pretty sure Hak is never coming back but Berry has to go, he got us that natty (thx) but he's now these past few years this program is heading...yoy.

Hey, easy on Shaw...his kid scored a goal tonight...oh wait, nevermind.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

You seem upset.

Positives from this weekend...the play of Keane and Adams has really elevated and that's great to see.
If those two can continue their progression, I think they could really contribute to next year's team.  Yes, next year.  :) 
Biggest loss will be Jones but add in a stellar recruiting class.  Too early to talk 19/20?

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Positives from this weekend...the play of Keane and Adams has really elevated and that's great to see.
If those two can continue their progression, I think they could really contribute to next year's team.  Yes, next year.  :) 
Biggest loss will be Jones but add in a stellar recruiting class.  Too early to talk 19/20?

No...I think you are right on track.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

brianvf--Agree, liked the play of Keane and Adams.  Yup, Jones has been a nice player and likely will be the "biggest loss" but that probably to some degree negatively reflects on the level of this team (no offense to Jones) these past few seasons.  Gardner, another nice player but that's more likely in reference to the level of play by this team the last few seasons, will be a hit in terms of faceoff percentage but if that's all I'm addressing then I'm stretching a bit.  My only beef is the reference to next year's "stellar recruiting class", which it well may be, but it seems we have such at UND almost every season but lately it hasn't come to fruition (especially offensively).  Nope, not too early to talk 2019/20 after tonight's loss.:sad: