SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Omaha - January 18-19, 2019

Dave Berger

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

“BUT LOOK AT BOSTON COLLEGE!” is NOT the answer to what is wrong with North Dakota.

The answer is, UND has taken 750 shots on goal this season and scored 60 goals. That's a shooting percentage of 8 percent (that's seventh in the NCHC). That actually went up from last weekend. 

This is the shot charts from game two of the lost weekend in Buffalo. Check out where the shot were from. 

Shots, shots, shots. Imagine if UND scored on 90 of those 750 shots. They'd probably have four more wins. 

I have 700 pictures of shots going everywhere but in the net. I have like 5 shots of pucks behind the goalie. 

Here's what goals look like in photos. 

Bowen Goal .jpg

score .jpg

Cole Smith goal .jpg

UND goal 2 .jpg

4 hours ago, Goon said:

The answer is, UND has taken 750 shots on goal this season and scored 60 goals. That's a shooting percentage of 8 percent (that's seventh in the NCHC). That actually went up from last weekend. 

I caught the interview with ASU Coach Greg Powers tonight on This Week in College Hockey on ESPNU and I guess they’re the only team in the nation to have 5 freshmen in double digits in scoring. They also have 10 or 11 guys overall in double digit scoring. 

On 1/19/2019 at 10:18 PM, MafiaMan said:

And a split would have been all fine and dandy had North Dakota delivered A TOTAL A**-KICKING at Canisius two weeks ago.  

@stoneySIOUX, how are you feeling about the odds of NoDak going 9-3 the rest of the way?

Not great, certainly. We have, at time this year, played up to our competition this season. Not over til it's over! Getting two at home against Clown would be a big deal.

15 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I caught the interview with ASU Coach Greg Powers tonight on This Week in College Hockey on ESPNU and I guess they’re the only team in the nation to have 5 freshmen in double digits in scoring. They also have 10 or 11 guys overall in double digit scoring. 

And we have a few forwards who, and I'm barely exaggerating, have each have about as many points on the season as goalie Ed Belfour did back in '87.  Yoy.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, MafiaMan said:

Maybe you’re more optimistic than me...but I see an 0-8 stretch as a VERY real possibility coming up...

Certainly a possibility when one considers our 3-4-1 record (pulling out 2 ot wins & the other by 1 goal) vs PW powers Bemidji, Canisius, CC and Omaha.  Optimistic view over next 8 games I see us going 3 - 5 at best (assuming we have puck luck & no more running up against hot goalie damn near every night out:unsure:).  We do have a winning record though vs nationally ranked teams though so can only hope that trend continues (I'll sure take being proved wrong).

20 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

True.  I was aware of their OOC record as it’s been well-documented this season.  

Who'd  have ever imagined we would be comparing ourselves to Boston College in the negative sense, instead of "why can't we be like Boston College"!

34 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

Missing open nets seems to a key to this team too. 

This weekend I don't how many time Schloss typed on the live blog/chat the Mismash just "missed wide" of the net.

If I had a nickel for every time I saw that.............

50 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Certainly a possibility when one considers our 3-4-1 record (pulling out 2 ot wins & the other by 1 goal) vs PW powers Bemidji, Canisius, CC and Omaha.  Optimistic view over next 8 games I see us going 3 - 5 at best (assuming we have puck luck & no more running up against hot goalie damn near every night out:unsure:).  We do have a winning record though vs nationally ranked teams though so can only hope that trend continues (I'll sure take being proved wrong).

Nationally ranked at the time we played them.  I believe we're 3-5 against teams that are currently in the USCHO top 20.

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

And we have a few forwards who, and I'm barely exaggerating, have each have about as many points on the season as goalie Ed Belfour did back in '87.  Yoy.

I think the equipment manager and the zamboni driver had points that year.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Goon said:

I'm an analytics guy....but OMG this punchline was overused three weeks ago.  It's that lack of creativity in the ozone.  I don't really care where they shoot from.....it's always a clean look.  Over and over again the forwards and trying their best to get it back to the point for the shot.  That is their A, B , and C option.  If a forward can't seem to figure out how to get it back to the point, they are at a loss. They turn and throw some weak shot on net.  the goalie easily catches it and the ref blows the whistle.  We win the next faceoff and do the same thing over and over again. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This weekend I don't how many time Schloss typed on the live blog/chat the Mismash just "missed wide" of the net.

If I had a nickel for every time I saw that.............

To be fair...if you pass up a one timer, to collect the puck and shoot a wrister, then the goalie gets back into position and theres nowhere left to shoot it, except wide. Trust the process.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:33 AM, DAR said:

I would like to see the record in the last 10 games wearing these so called "business suits"....it cant be good

Yes, where is Schlossman when you need him? He sure put it out there when the record was good, but the last few years it seems 50/50.