SiouxSports.com Forum

Filling the Ralph

Telly33

1 hour ago, Dave Berger said:

Here's something regarding the atmosphere at the Ralph that hasn't been mentioned in this thread:

The fans of the University of North Dakota men's hockey team have an identity crisis.

Some fans will only participate in chants and cheers that have the word "Sioux" in them (Sioux Yeah Yeah, Fight On Sioux, Let's Go Sioux, Sioux Forever, etc.) and boo every "Fighting Hawks" usage they can.

Some fans are trying to move on from "Fighting Sioux", but there are no "Hawks" or "Fighting Hawks" chants or cheers for them to participate in.

We are all trying to exist in the same space and cheer for the same team, but we're definitely not all moving in the same direction or working together all of the time.

Discuss. :)

Dave

I think you are on to something, but eh Identity Crisis is across all sports.  Not really any Stadium wide Hawk Chants at any sport.

18 hours ago, WiSioux said:

I've yet to hear anyone attempt to start a Hawks cheer or chant of any kind. Can't not participate in something to be never heard.

They tried one last night - used the score board and a drummer to try to start a "Go Hawks Go" chant.  It didn't work very well.  The drummer even seemed a little confused if he was supposed to keep doing it, since almost no one participated.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:33 PM, Dave Berger said:

Here's something regarding the atmosphere at the Ralph that hasn't been mentioned in this thread:

The fans of the University of North Dakota men's hockey team have an identity crisis.

Some fans will only participate in chants and cheers that have the word "Sioux" in them (Sioux Yeah Yeah, Fight On Sioux, Let's Go Sioux, Sioux Forever, etc.) and boo every "Fighting Hawks" usage they can.

Some fans are trying to move on from "Fighting Sioux", but there are no "Hawks" or "Fighting Hawks" chants or cheers for them to participate in.

We are all trying to exist in the same space and cheer for the same team, but we're definitely not all moving in the same direction or working together all of the time.

Discuss. :)

Dave

Yep, for sure Dave.  I bring this up all the time and I think you and I have even talked about it in person.   The "Let's Go Sioux" chants are always half-hearted these days and usually fizzle out quickly.  "Hawks" chants are of course non-existent.  I think it's just something that's going to take time to work itself out.  Or maybe there's a happy medium in there somewhere like "U-N-D!" or something more generic like that that everyone might be willing to get on board with.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Hell, I've seen people hand out extra free tickets right before puck drop multiple times 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:24 PM, Big Green said:

I realize you can purchase tickets outside the arena most of the time for under face value.  Problem is you take the risk of parking, walking up to the arena, not being able to get a ticket and having to walk back to your car.  

Depending on my kids sometimes I need an extra ticket just to get one through the door.  Last night we sat in the suites and I needed one.  There was a guy in the lobby last night that just gave me one for free.  I never worry about it at all.  They're always available out front or worst case scenario if not you just walk up to the ticket window and buy what you need.  Really no risk at all, check TM before you leave your house if you want to be sure, but better off making the actual purchase from the window to avoid the TM fees.

• Upvote 1

I think filling the Ralph is just a sign if UND athletics in general. Everything is becoming bland with zero excitement around any sport. Even traditional power houses like hockey are struggling to keep fan base engaged. 

UND athletics should become the thing to do while in Grand Forks from September until March. So much momentum has been lost since the year UND swept the Big sky championships. 

• Upvote 2

So with all of this talk about how the gap has narrowed.....parity.....there are no gimme games anymore......not much separates teams anymore.....it seems like it would be tough to keep expecting UND fans to keep paying 3-4 times as much money for the product when their team isn't much better than any other team?

I think with the nickname gone and no longer in the wcha with old time rivals and those said old time rivals having a down years??? The issue is the students are not into it these past few years and the regular fans that go just go because it's a social event. Road fans know how to cheer. But the atmosphere really took a dive with the nickname gone and then once we got the new one it is just meh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure how much they make on parking for hockey games, but I think I might do a study whether to just open up those lots for free, to keep more butts in the seats. With the apathy going around all sports, you don't want to give fans one more reason to stay home.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:19 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

The REA and UND screwed up by putting the student section where they did in the lower bowl.  In the old Ralph, the students had half the arena.  Obviously they couldn't do that at the new Ralph, but they wanted to make sure the students still had great seats in the lower bowl and not just put all the seats in the upper bowl.  They really should have done what most college hockey arenas do and put the students at the end we shoot at twice.  Also, splitting up the students and having some in the upper bowl and some in the lower killed the vibe as well.  Not sure there is much you can do about it now.  

Absolutely agree on everything. In the end, I guess it's champagne problems.

18 hours ago, tnt said:

Not sure how much they make on parking for hockey games, but I think I might do a study whether to just open up those lots for free, to keep more butts in the seats. With the apathy going around all sports, you don't want to give fans one more reason to stay home.

Not enough parking spots.  Even with free parking same people would need to walk from neighborhoods or take bus