SiouxSports.com Forum

Filling the Ralph

Telly33

From a perspective of a not too long former student.

I remember in my first two year, the student tickets were the following:  You were in lower one night, and then the next night you were in upper.  I think in my junior year, that was switched so that it allowed for students to be in lower both nights, if they got there in time.   While this was great for the die-hards, it did lead to a few new problems, such as the crush that happens whenever the doors open, the booing that happens when a group of students show up 20 minutes before and cutting ahead because two people saved their spot.  There might be people who think, well I can't get lower... why bother going.  I don't want to stand in line for 3 hours just to get lower and I really don't want to stand in upper.  I don't know if they want to go back to that or how they can do that, but perhaps they need to explore going back to that idea.  

Priority line was a stroke of genius by UND, they need more of these type of ideas.

Student section needs to be better organized, new traditions need to be created along with the old ones (or phase one or two out).  No one wants to step up and be a leader in that department.  

I've been a firm advocate of moving the student section to the end where UND shoots twice.  I'd rather chirp at the goalie for 40 minutes instead of the guy in the box for 2.  Plus, they can stand and not have people whine when they do.  I'm sure that if the people in power want to make it work, they can.  *My last few games as a student were full of people in the next section whining that the students were standing too soon, or not sitting down soon enough after a goal, etc. 

I think people might be underestimating this:  Might students not really care about Western Michigan and Miami?  Omaha?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I've been a firm advocate of moving the student section to the end where UND shoots twice.  I'd rather chirp at the goalie for 40 minutes instead of the guy in the box for 2.  Plus, they can stand and not have people whine when they do. 

Wouldn't they still interfere with the view of people in the suites?

11 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

From a perspective of a not too long former student.

I remember in my first two year, the student tickets were the following:  You were in lower one night, and then the next night you were in upper.  I think in my junior year, that was switched so that it allowed for students to be in lower both nights, if they got there in time.   While this was great for the die-hards, it did lead to a few new problems, such as the crush that happens whenever the doors open, the booing that happens when a group of students show up 20 minutes before and cutting ahead because two people saved their spot.  There might be people who think, well I can't get lower... why bother going.  I don't want to stand in line for 3 hours just to get lower and I really don't want to stand in upper.  I don't know if they want to go back to that or how they can do that, but perhaps they need to explore going back to that idea.  

Priority line was a stroke of genius by UND, they need more of these type of ideas.

Student section needs to be better organized, new traditions need to be created along with the old ones (or phase one or two out).  No one wants to step up and be a leader in that department.  

I've been a firm advocate of moving the student section to the end where UND shoots twice.  I'd rather chirp at the goalie for 40 minutes instead of the guy in the box for 2.  Plus, they can stand and not have people whine when they do.  I'm sure that if the people in power want to make it work, they can.  *My last few games as a student were full of people in the next section whining that the students were standing too soon, or not sitting down soon enough after a goal, etc. 

I think people might be underestimating this:  Might students not really care about Western Michigan and Miami?  Omaha?  

This.  The ralph makes kids wait outside for hours before the game for lower bowl tickets, which means kids cant pregame.  Even if they are 21.  The change away from Lower/Upper bowl tickets was a bad one, imo.  

I find it interesting that alot more people are selling their tickets and trying to make a profit. Tickets used to be hard to come by but not so much anymore. Moving the students might be a good thing but maybe find a way to let them in for free again. Also maybe a different price for upper and lower also how about rush seats? 20 bucks or something after 10 mins of play. UND better be careful or the Ralph will look like the U Of M. 

1 minute ago, Telly33 said:

Is the guy who invented "Sioux Yeah Yeah" on this message board?  He used to run around the inner ring at the old Ralph and fire everyone up.   Maybe we need to hire that guy to come back to some games and get some new stuff going.  lol

Geez sounds like a job for a mascot 

• Upvote 2

I don't get to more than a handful of games being that we live in Bemidji, but the single deterrent if we've ever decided against going was just price.  We justify it, if it's MN/Wis/DU etc, but if it's gas, food, then $50/ticket for a less than stellar opponent...NCHC TV starts to sound a lot better than dropping $150-$200 and getting home at midnight.

Obviously attendance is affected by team success, as well.  There's been times when I've driven over for the first 6 or 8 games of the year because you knew you were seeing greatness.  There's also been times that it's not worth the trip to see the boys grinding it out with BSU.

The crowd is just disappointing in general, regardless of size.  Half the people would rather play a game on their phone, than actually watch the game.  It's always heartbreaking to lose like they did in Fargo vs BU.  Not only because the year is over, but you know that's it's going to be another year before there's a chance at the great atmosphere again.

And yes, the students standing in front of the suites, does suck.  I rarely sit in my companies suite because I'd rather be in the suites, but when I have, it's really annoying. I don't think I'd care as much if they were standing to cheer because they are into the game, but most are just standing and talking to each other. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, tnt said:

I believe they are on Thursday, but when you have a chance to sell them as season tickets and assure the seats will be paid for and used, why not go that direction.  I don't know if they sell them for the same price as they do at the door, but perhaps they might want to lower those prices a bit, as they seem kind of high for last second people to change their mind on what they want to do on the weekend.  

What makes you think those season ticket holders will be more faithful about showing up than the others that don't show up?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, franchise said:

I don't get to more than a handful of games being that we live in Bemidji, but the single deterrent if we've ever decided against going was just price.  We justify it, if it's MN/Wis/DU etc, but if it's gas, food, then $50/ticket for a less than stellar opponent...NCHC TV starts to sound a lot better than dropping $150-$200 and getting home at midnight.

Be careful, people may accuse you of not caring if you’re not a cotton mouth by the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Telly33 said:

Is the guy who invented "Sioux Yeah Yeah" on this message board?  He used to run around the inner ring at the old Ralph and fire everyone up.   Maybe we need to hire that guy to come back to some games and get some new stuff going.  lol

There was a group of 5 of us in college (late 90's, early 2000's) that went to all the games together.  We named ourselves the "Siouxperfans."  (Where my screen name comes from).  We started many traditions  at games that are still done today.  From the backing up beeping when there is a penalty at football games, to the "You sit" chant and the slow sieve chant at hockey games, it is awesome seeing these traditions still going almost 20 years later.  That being said, the pride and joy of our group for cheers that we started that are still going today is the "Sioux Yeah Yeah" cheer!!.  We rotated the person that would yell "Sioux Yeah Yeah" at first, but it eventually fell to my friend Brett who was the primary "yell leader" for the cheer.  He may have been the person that you saw running around riling the crowd up.

Unfortunately he lives in Florida, so he is not available :)  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There was a group of 5 of us in college (late 90's, early 2000's) that went to all the games together.  We named ourselves the "Siouxperfans."  (Where my screen name comes from).  We started many traditions  at games that are still done today.  From the backing up beeping when there is a penalty at football games, to the "You sit" chant and the slow sieve chant at hockey games, it is awesome seeing these traditions still going almost 20 years later.  That being said, the pride and joy of our group for cheers that we started that are still going today is the "Sioux Yeah Yeah" cheer!!.  We rotated the person that would yell "Sioux Yeah Yeah" at first, but it eventually fell to my friend Brett who was the primary "yell leader" for the cheer.  He may have been the person that you saw running around riling the crowd up.

Time for a new tradition “Hawks Yeah Yeah”.;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Do you have a family? Money is not a lame excuse. My 3 kids is priority over a hockey game. Medical bills come up, Christmas is coming, plus saving extra when my boy attends UND in the fall. I have priorities and seeing hockey tickets increase puts me going to a game lower on the list. Sorry Scrooge McDuck we all can’t take a dive into the money bin like you and TeleDebbie. 

You sure have a knack for being disingenuous when confronted. I get that there are reasons why people can't attend, but the fact that you talk about using cruise control as a contributing factor is just subterfuge.  Last I heard hockey games and football games overlap.  Everybody has the friend that says they can't afford this or can't afford that, yet when you are out buy the most expensive drink.  It kind of reminds me of all the people that say the Ralph is too expensive, yet are complaining that they don't have access to $100 tickets to the Vegas game.   There are ways around a lot of things, and the fact that not being able to afford a soda is a deal breaker for attending a sporting event, or that extra $1 for soda compared to the Alerus, says a lot.  Like I said, people have different priorities and interests, and I have no problem with that, but the pendulum swings both ways. 

38 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What makes you think those season ticket holders will be more faithful about showing up than the others that don't show up?

As I said, the majority of the seats that are empty are in those student sections.   Also, I have friends that want to get season tickets but told they have to still pay the Champions Club membership just to be on a waiting list for season tickets.  

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

As I said, the majority of the seats that are empty are in those student sections.   Also, I have friends that want to get season tickets but told they have to still pay the Champions Club membership just to be on a waiting list for season tickets.  

The waiting list $100 has to be paid, not the entire cc membership, but when seats are available that 100 is applied to the total.Of course paying more to cc gets you nearer the top of the list. Took me 1500 to get into the top 10 and get season tickets the first year I moved back here.  There are quite a few unsold season tickets available around the arena, mostly singles, but 2 or more together in some areas (high up in 303). Apparently waiting list people are waiting for something lower bowl, or lower in the upper bowl?

Season tickets were near sold out when I moved here in 2015, now there are more available after 2 down years, especially last year. Would guess everyone on the waiting list that wanted tickets this year could get them, just not anywhere in the arena.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, tnt said:

You sure have a knack for being disingenuous when confronted. I get that there are reasons why people can't attend, but the fact that you talk about using cruise control as a contributing factor is just subterfuge.  Last I heard hockey games and football games overlap.  Everybody has the friend that says they can't afford this or can't afford that, yet when you are out buy the most expensive drink.  It kind of reminds me of all the people that say the Ralph is too expensive, yet are complaining that they don't have access to $100 tickets to the Vegas game.   There are ways around a lot of things, and the fact that not being able to afford a soda is a deal breaker for attending a sporting event, or that extra $1 for soda compared to the Alerus, says a lot.  Like I said, people have different priorities and interests, and I have no problem with that, but the pendulum swings both ways. 

You are the one that asked if gas was cheaper for football than hockey. I am not the only one that brought up the price of food and gas, but if you want to single me out more power to you, at least I know there are more people complaining about the money aspect of why the Ralph isn’t filling up than just me.

• Upvote 1

My point was that food and gas, two of the big expenditures for coming from out of town would essentially be the same whether you are going to a football game or a hockey game, and if you are eating out in town, is it a must to have concessions at the game as well.  You have made it clear that it isn't an every week thing coming for football either, so point understood. 

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Got a problem with what I said? I have money for a football game in the fall, a family tradition my dad has with me since 1985, and it costs a hell of a lot less than a random hockey game in the winter. 

The problem is that autos don't use more gas when you run the heater. An auto engine produces the same amount of heat whether you have the heater on or not. And the amount of gas you would save by using cruise control from Fargo to GF would fit in a thimble. Good God, I can't believe I actually had to explain that to someone. Thanks, darrell.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

The problem is that autos don't use more gas when you run the heater. An auto engine produces the same amount of heat whether you have the heater on or not. And the amount of gas you would save by using cruise control from Fargo to GF would fit in a thimble. Good God, I can't believe I actually had to explain that to someone. Thanks, darrell.

Okay.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yeah, that was probably him.  I can sort of picture what he looked like, but it's been a lot of years obviously.  He'd run over to the opposite side of the ice from the student section at the old arena and get the season ticketholders going every once in a while, etc.

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Someone posted this earlier on a different thread.  Penn State's student section for hockey has a website, and is very organized.  Something like this would be really cool, and helpful for both football and hockey, and maybe even volleyball/basketball.

http://theroarzone.wixsite.com/theroarzone

That's a great idea. Would also be helpful for freshman/casual fans who don't know all the chants but would like to participate.

• Upvote 2

I haven't had this good of laugh in a long time, heater wrecks the mileage, bahahahaaaa....      I do get worse mileage in the winter, but leaving that diesel running at stores, events, etc is likely the culprit, not my shaky leg doing the jitterbug on the gas pedal.    I finally have a an answer to the old question "Why have I not ignored Darell?   Humor, now I need to go to confession for laughing at the special needs kid.  oh bother

by the way,  Salty Mike will run laps at the Ralph if you let him in the door ;)