SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

34 minutes ago, Some Guy said:

Former UST football player and big UND fan. I don't know Caruso's reasons for not throwing his hat in the last time this gig was open, but I can probably weigh-in on why he probably won't throw his hat in the ring this time either:

a) Caruso is most likely making comparable money to Bubba.

b) Caruso has a nice house on Summit Ave, walks on water at UST, his children haven't had to move around like most coaches' kids (and have been with the same school system and friends their whole academic lives), and his wife just got done going through chemotherapy. I don't think he's looking to uproot and start fresh in a new community where his feet will be held to the fire immediately. 

c) UST doesn't have an indoor practice facility...yet, but their facilities (for football) are every bit as nice as UND's in every other respect, and probably much better in some ways with their new Anderson Athletic and Recreation Center. 

d) Caruso has spent years developing a recruiting pipeline with the Chicago Catholic League and really doesn't have to go out of the metro or Wisconsin to field the rest of his team. He'd basically be starting over developing a recruiting strategy to field a FCS program. 

e) UST/SJU put 37,000 fans in Target Field. That's not exactly like playing at Washington, but it's definitely a big time atmosphere/feel with plenty of media attention. 

f) UST just hired the #2 in Penn State's Athletic Dept. as their AD/VP so I think they have some big plans athletically/academically. UST added a law school 15 years ago, are adding a school of nursing, and are exploring a med school. Considering the Goofs are the only full-fledged D1 (as in every sport, not just hockey) in the state of Minnesota (the 22nd most populated state in the union) and UST has the same endowment as NDSU and UND combined, I foresee a potential jump to D1 in the next 5 to 10 years. They've had committees on this in the past and know they aren't a good fit academically for D2. I know UST has always envisioned themselves ascending to the same vein as larger urban Catholic schools (Marquette, Villanova, Dayton, Georgetown, Boston College) and the Summit League is desperate for men's soccer, baseball and track and field programs. UST fields all of those sports, plus all the requisite women's sports needed, and has comparable if not better facilities than many of the schools in the Summit already. Depending on what UND is looking to flagship, I am guessing they could find a conference home for football rather easy, whether they'd look at non-scholarship Patriot League or if the MVFC is looking to expand their footprint to the Twin Cities metro, I think they've got the resources to be a good fit for either. Rumblings are UST will be playing SJU in the new 20,000 seat Allianz Stadium a mile from campus in the near future and that would most likely be a good short-term solution until they can reconfigure their facilities for FCS D1. As far as hockey is concerned, my guess is the WCHA would be willing to take on anyone provided they could find an adequate facility. IF, and that's a big IF, any of  this happens, I would imagine Caruso would be a part of that. UST already has the athletes to be somewhat competitive (at least not embarrassing) through a transition, and with having the built in advantage of a homogeneous campus in the heart of the Twin Cities, that feels like it's own world, I think they'd be able to recruit well. 

tl/dr:  I just don't think UND has the juice to get Caruso to walk away from a pretty cushy life at UST. He's had his opportunity to pursue the USD and UND job before and didn't. 

If St Thomas wants to go DI, they will first  have transition to DII over a couple years, required to stay in DII seven years before they are allowed to move up to DI and then have a five year transition to DI if they get an invite.  Talking maybe fifteen years total to fully DI.

Getting a DI hockey team takes at least a couple years to complete the DII transition and maybe the extra seven to compete in DI.

Caruso would be an old man if St Thomas ever was fully DI.  Their 37,000 Target field fans would disappear as most them were St John’s fans.

Used to be schools could jump from DIII to DI and some did, but the NCAA stopped that, presumably to help DII.  Only DII schools can move up to DI now.  Formerly, NAIA, expanded JCs, and DIII schools moved straight to DI.

When I look at it, Bubba will be here next year no matter what. Financially, they cant afford to let him go. However, Bubba can show he means business by cutting ties with Rudy. Simply can him and move Fruend up to OC. Look at the development of our WRs through him. Plus we all know that football is becoming a young man's game for coaching and Fruend is that and that will help with recruiting. Also, Danny's former assistant is finishing up being a GA at Duluth. There is your new WR coach. 

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This a thousand times. Makes me sick when I think of how much Rudy wasted those two. 

Somehow NDSU used to figure out how to even put King Frazier, Bruce Anderson, and Chase Morlock on the field at the same time.

I couldn't believe we had no sets with JJ at full back, Brady at tailback and Santiago in the slot.

I know Santiago was injured some this year but rather than platooning him and Brady I think Santiago commands so much attention from a defense that he should be on the field for 80% of the snaps even if he isn't lined up behind the QB for most of the snaps. Just a waste of and poor use of the talent  that we do have.

54 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

When I look at it, Bubba will be here next year no matter what. Financially, they cant afford to let him go. However, Bubba can show he means business by cutting ties with Rudy. Simply can him and move Fruend up to OC. Look at the development of our WRs through him. Plus we all know that football is becoming a young man's game for coaching and Fruend is that and that will help with recruiting. Also, Danny's former assistant is finishing up being a GA at Duluth. There is your new WR coach. 

I have a feeling if this happens it won't be coming from Bubba, it will be coming from Chaves. 

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Not sure on this. Would be the lazy way to go about it I’m afraid. No one on this staff has definitively shown they deserve promotion. Just my take on the matter. I want new ideas from an outside mind. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not sure on this. Would be the lazy way to go about it I’m afraid. No one on this staff has definitely shown they deserve promotion. Just my take on the matter. I want new ideas from an outside mind. 

Agreed, outside ideas and perspectives would be ideal.

A couple thoughts:

• Bubba isn't getting bought out of the 3 years remaining in his contract, nor should he.
  • Chaves isn't making the final call on Bubba's coaching staff, nor should he. That isn't the spot of the AD at all. Without a doubt, it will (or has been) discussed with the AD's input but the final decision is with the head coach and it is their's to live with and own 100%.
  • Early signing period is December 21. Suggestions of cleaning out the whole staff (outside the head coach) would be a disaster.
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

A couple thoughts:

• Bubba isn't getting bought out of the 3 years remaining in his contract, nor should he.
  • Chaves isn't making the final call on Bubba's coaching staff, nor should he. That isn't the spot of the AD at all. Without a doubt, it will (or has been) discussed with the AD's input but the final decision is with the head coach and it is their's to live with and own 100%.
  • Early signing period is December 21. Suggestions of cleaning out the whole staff (outside the head coach) would be a disaster.

Agreed.  Chaves can and should "hint" heavily to Bubba that changes are necessary though, as the status quo isn't working.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, homer said:

I’m not big on contributing to this topic as I don’t enjoy challenging someone’s lively hood And I like the coaches as people that are in staff.  

I’ve always held the thought UND needs to look outside for some coaches but an inside name I’d put back on the table of changes happen is Luke Schleusner.  The guy was our best recruiter under Mussman and has been with SDSU to get a feel for a program that recruits top FCS talent against other programs.  He knows most on the current staff (that would likely still be around) and how an offense can attack teams in this conference.  He wouldn’t be a bad addition if there are openings and he is interested.  

As a note- I’m not sure he’s ready to be a coordinator but find some money for experience and capacity to get him on board. 

I’ve thought about him as well. Maybe under conservative Bubba he would have just the right amount of aggressive instead of that craziness he had under less conservative Mussman.

52 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

A couple thoughts:

Is Bubba to blind to see that he might be the man for this gig? MAybe not and he has decided to step down for the betterment of the program and UND.

Chaves is the AD..........hopefully he has a pair that BF didn't. He can do what he wants at this point IMO.

Disaster?  Did you watch Saturday.... or this season?  If you think any of these coaches are capable at this level.......

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Bubba might be a good coach in a lot of aspects, he loves this University, and is a hell of a guy, BUT I'm starting to doubt he has a good feel for making in game decisions. It's like he always has that "oh !@#$" look on his face like he didn't prepare for this situation ( 4th down decisions, QB Change?, Etc). Even though I'm sure he's prepared for them, it just seems like he can't make the right decision at game speed. I'm guessing he's not going anywhere this year and I'm content with that, but if no other coaching changes are made I'm dropping 2 of my season tickets and will still go to some games, but I won't be able to buy into this team fully again.

STARTING to doubt?  Would another 5-7 years of evidence help?  Good grief.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

A couple thoughts:

I'd happily trade the current disaster for that one.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3