SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Heard he's out of football.

Kind of.  He's the had coach at Cretin Derham Hall.  https://www.cretin-derhamhall.org/athletics-archive/boys-teams/football/meet-coaches/

From wiki: 

Coaching career[edit]

Bollinger was the head coach at Hill-Murray School in St. Paul and led them to their first state tournament berth in recent history. In 2012, he became the quarterbacks coach at the University of Pittsburgh, but left the program to pursue non-coaching opportunities after the 2013 season. Currently, Bollinger is the quarterbacks coach for Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul, a school known for turning out Division I-caliber college football talents.[5] On December 21, 2015, Bollinger was named the head football coach at Cretin-Derham Hall, after longtime coach Mike Scanlan resigned.[6]

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Kind of.  He's the had coach at Cretin Derham Hall.  https://www.cretin-derhamhall.org/athletics-archive/boys-teams/football/meet-coaches/

From wiki: 

Coaching career[edit]

Bollinger was the head coach at Hill-Murray School in St. Paul and led them to their first state tournament berth in recent history. In 2012, he became the quarterbacks coach at the University of Pittsburgh, but left the program to pursue non-coaching opportunities after the 2013 season. Currently, Bollinger is the quarterbacks coach for Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul, a school known for turning out Division I-caliber college football talents.[5] On December 21, 2015, Bollinger was named the head football coach at Cretin-Derham Hall, after longtime coach Mike Scanlan resigned.[6]

I think that's part-time and he's also a VP at a wealth management firm for athletes.  

1 hour ago, Walsh Hall said:

Find a young D2 guy what's innovative, energetic, and motivated to advance, and give him a shot.  No lateral move or retread.   I'd much rather strike out or hit a home run opposed to a single.

I'm still a supporter of UM-D O.C. Their offense has been just on fire last couple of years. He is a Duluth Native, young, and most importantly offense has been on fire last few years. 

https://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=439&path=football

• Upvote 2

Probably fair to point out that the OC who was just let go had a history of success in his stint as OC at a D-II school as well and that it doesn't mean it will translate.

Rudolph comes to Minot State from St. Cloud State, in St. Cloud, Minn., where he was the Offensive Coordinator and offensive line coach for seven seasons. During his time as SCSU, the Huskies established 26 singles season, 21 single game and nine individual offensive school records. In 2005, Rudolph helped SCSU to 418.6 yards per game and over 30 points per game. He coached 13 first team, 11 second team and two honorable mention All-North Central Conference performers. Rudolph helped the Huskies to the NCAA Division II playoffs in 2004 and an NCC title in 2002.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Loose it on whom? 
Just make sure you recover it afterwards; we'd hate you to lose it. 

< Mensa meeting gavel pounding sound here > 

By gum! Someone that gets the joke! Oh blessed day

<goes home to cry tears of joy>

44 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I'm still a supporter of UM-D O.C. Their offense has been just on fire last couple of years. He is a Duluth Native, young, and most importantly offense has been on fire last few years. 

https://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=439&amp;path=football

We just fired an OC who lit up the mighty NSIC.  Duluth got killed this past weekend at home in the first round.  No thanks.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t care what his record was coaching with superior talent to his opponents. I watched more than enough of their games to know he sucked ass. Their fans were happy when he left. A good OC would have lost maybe 1 game.

You can be a great OL coach and not be a good OC.  

13 hours ago, UND1983 said:

We just fired an OC who lit up the mighty NSIC.  Duluth got killed this past weekend at home in the first round.  No thanks.

Rudolph “lit up the NSIC”? 

I don’t think we’re thinking about the same guy here. Rudolph’s Minot State teams were average to below average at best.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

For a single season ...

Need more of a sample size than that. 

How about 2001-2006, which is how long he was OC there? Bubba specifically cited how tough his offenses were to play against for one of the reasons he was hired. Again, it didn't translate for whatever reason, but it was the experienced, outside blood that you seem to be pushing for. Didn't have D-1 experience, but unless you're looking to move a position coach from a D1 school to your OC, it probably isn't going to happen (and there is a candidate that fits that bill already on staff). Regardless, I'm starting to get the the feeling that you aren't going to be happy regardless of who gets the position.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

How about 2001-2006, which is how long he was OC there? Bubba specifically cited how tough his offenses were to play against for one of the reasons he was hired. Again, it didn't translate for whatever reason, but it was the experienced, outside blood that you seem to be pushing for. Didn't have D-1 experience, but unless you're looking to move a position coach from a D1 school to your OC, it probably isn't going to happen (and there is a candidate that fits that bill already on staff). Regardless, I'm starting to get the the feeling that you aren't going to be happy regardless of who gets the position.

There are plenty of potential candidates I’d be happy with, from FBS position coaches to FCS coordinators and Division II head coaches. There are also some young division II coordinators out there with good potential.

I’ll be happy if the hire and his offense ultimately does well come August 2019. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There are plenty of potential candidates I’d be happy with, from FBS position coaches to FCS coordinators and Division II head coaches. There are also some young division II coordinators out there with good potential.

Looking at that honestly and given the estimated salary, which on that list do you think is actually realistic?

If you can get an  FBS position coach, they will have to come from a G5 school and that's a stretch. Experience in play calling will likely be questionable but still might see one or two.
Unlikely to pull an FCS coordinator. Position coach is more likely here and will be a chunk of the pool
Might be able to find some DII coaches that are making less and willing to move up.
Getting some young DII coordinators is probably the sweet spot and very plausible.

Just want to set some realistic expectations on what the candidate pool might look like. I could be completely wrong, but that's how I see it. Doesn't mean there won't be good candidates, just means it might not be the pool some expect.

• Upvote 1