SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

STARTING to doubt?  Would another 5-7 years of evidence help?  Good grief.  

Right.... because I clearly said I wanted him to stay that long. Clearly we weren't going to pay to have him gone and I understand why so I'm willing to at least start with a new OC (and OL coach) and re-evaluate next year.

2 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Right.... because I clearly said I wanted him to stay that long. Clearly we weren't going to pay to have him gone and I understand why so I'm willing to at least start with a new OC (and OL coach) and re-evaluate next year.

So then we fire everyone NEXT season and start from scratch?  Makes perfect sense.

I'm in the minority here, but as long as Rudy is being dumped, Schmidt should be too. I'd love to see 2 young upcoming coordinators take over with Bubba as the main face of the team, the PR guy and the one whose love for UND is obvious to every recruit but who turns the game days over to the coordinators. Dabo Swinney has effectively done that at Clemson. He's not the guy calling O or D in any significant way.

UND Defense stats:  3rd down conversion rate 37% for 59th in the FCS.    4th down conversion rate 53% for 79th in the FCS.

It constantly bugged me the D could not get off the field in the most critical times.

Total Defense: Yards per game 52nd in the FCS. 

Changes need to be made on both sides of the ball.

12 minutes ago, shep said:

UND Defense stats:  3rd down conversion rate 37% for 59th in the FCS.    4th down conversion rate 53% for 79th in the FCS.

It constantly bugged me the D could not get off the field in the most critical times.

Total Defense: Yards per game 52nd in the FCS. 

Changes need to be made on both sides of the ball.

How about points allowed? 

From undfb360

Statistically speaking, the UND defense was actually pretty steady throughout the season even though it seemed up and down.  They gave up 20.4 points/game against FCS competition (including ST and defensive TD for opponent), which is more than adequate to win 7-8 games and was Top 20 in FCS overall.

But this is what ticked me off most of the season. NO spy or containment on running QB's. Just no imagination here at all by the D. This is a quote from the same 360 article.

The overall play of the defense was ‘good’ but not consistent.  Against NAU they only gave up 270 yards of offense with 80 of it coming on that last drive.  The long TD pass was a result of a blown coverage on the wheel route where it looked like the slot receiver, Emmanuel Butler, got a late start off the line and confused the secondary. Containment of the QB on the edge in scramble situations became a serious and repetitive problem when it mattered most on 3rd down.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Yeah let's just cut the entire FB program.....Would you at least agree that we are in a lose-lose situation because nothing was done after last season?

That’s quite a leap to go from firing the staff to shutting down the program, but please, carry on...

No house-cleaning of the coaching staff last season means more dirt around the house this year.  I’ve seen all I need to see out of this regime.

9 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Have you ever met that guy? I have..........

Nope.  Just looking at what he would bring to the table (based on an employer published biography, so take that with a grain of salt).  Didn't even know his name until I went to the website.

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Nope.  Just looking at what he would bring to the table (based on an employer published biography, so take that with a grain of salt).  Didn't even know his name until I went to the website.

I'm a high school football coach, so I have been to their clinic, watched them at practice, etc. etc. He is not a player's coach by any means and swears more than any coach I've ever seen. Not saying that doesn't make him a good coach, but I did play college ball and this didn't get me going.

14 hours ago, shep said:

But this is what ticked me off most of the season. NO spy or containment on running QB's. Just no imagination here at all by the D. This is a quote from the same 360 article.

The overall play of the defense was ‘good’ but not consistent.  Against NAU they only gave up 270 yards of offense with 80 of it coming on that last drive.  The long TD pass was a result of a blown coverage on the wheel route where it looked like the slot receiver, Emmanuel Butler, got a late start off the line and confused the secondary. Containment of the QB on the edge in scramble situations became a serious and repetitive problem when it mattered most on 3rd down.

This seemed to be a problem for this defense at times all season.