SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Idaho Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

So the top 2 receivers are out and the 3rd and 4th go down during the game. 

Given that Idaho's going to sell out to stop the run: run blitzes. 

How does one counter? 

Throw to the backs and TEs (unders or screens). 

First half: 2 attempts to TEs.
Second half: 2 attempts to TEs, 2 attempts to backs 

Just 6 attempts to RB/TEs in the but at least that many to just Stanley in the second half: Keep chucking it to the 5-8 WRs on the chart? 

Very good point. 

Evidence just continues to mount (as there was plenty well before the Idaho game) that Rudolph has a very limited offense. How can a team that wants to "run the ball" and "be physical" not have a passing game that utilizes the RBs and TEs? It's beyond silly. 

Again, more and more evidence shows UND's offensive philosophy and leadership is severely impaired. 

Monday night football showed a chart on how you need to be aggressive on calls and even if you fail you have a better chance of winning

said not to be passive aggressive or you fail

we are passive period

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kab said:

Monday night football showed a chart on how you need to be aggressive on calls and even if you fail you have a better chance of winning

said not to be passive aggressive or you fail

we are passive period

This is correct. UND is way, way too passive. 

Passive can work if you have tremendous defense and special teams.

UND's special teams is the worst I've ever seen it; so, quite frankly, UND's coaches are doing the student-athletes a disservice by being so damn passive and conservative. 

Bottom line: UND's special teams lost UND the game versus Idaho. 

Secondary line: UND's offense needs to be way more aggressive and multi-dimensional. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the top 2 receivers are out and the 3rd and 4th go down during the game. 

Given that Idaho's going to sell out to stop the run: run blitzes. 

How does one counter? 

Throw to the backs and TEs (unders or screens). 

First half: 2 attempts to TEs.
Second half: 2 attempts to TEs, 2 attempts to backs 

Just 6 attempts to RB/TEs in the but at least that many to just Stanley in the second half: Keep chucking it to the 5-8 WRs on the chart? 

For years I have been disappointed by the lack of plays for the Tight End.   I don't think a TE has had over 5 receptions since Jim Kleinsasser!!  We have size and strength at the position yet Rudy fails to use them. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, O Town said:

Agreed! TE's only having 7-8 catches each a season is not acceptable with the talent they have. After the 1st game when Luke had 4 catches I thought the narrative would change? Need to quit calling this a pro-style offense.

The true pro-style run-orientated offenses are rare now in college football. They do still exist though; look no further than NDSU, University of Wisconsin, and University of Iowa. 

You can either watch their games or look up the stats; either way, you'll see a ton of catches by the halfbacks, fullbacks, and tight ends.

I don't know what Rudolph is doing, but it isn't winning conventional football. Its a "Rudolph offense" because no one in their right mind would copy it and run it. 

• Upvote 1

definitely not the outcome I thought we'd see..but I guess that's why they play the game...that 4th quarter was crazy.. I left early as we had another function to go to, so heard it on the radio..we did have 4-5 ND fans stop by the tailgate..not sure if any of them are on here, but super nice folks. Good luck with Portland State and we'll do our bet to handle the Griz next weekend!  Cheers!

39 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I also don't get why when we have three up backs, and the other team is completely stacking one side, we don't slide a second upback over to that left side in this situation.    

That's what I was thinking too.  God forbid we take a timeout and make sure we get the protection handled correctly in a crucial part of the game.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That's what I was thinking too.  God forbid we take a timeout and make sure we get the protection handled correctly in a crucial part of the game.  

Call timeout? Crucial moment in game?  Saving the timeouts?  Nobody aware of potential trouble?  If we get this punt off and they start at their 35, what are Idaho's chances in the game?

Punt-Block-Idaho.gif

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Call timeout? Crucial moment in game?  Saving the timeouts?  Nobody aware of potential trouble?  If we get this punt off and they start at their 35, what are Idaho's chances in the game?

Punt-Block-Idaho.gif

We need to lose this F'n punt formation!!

• Upvote 4

Not to pile on special teams but with Santiago out are we even trying to set up a punt return. We returned 1 punt out of 7 and I am alright with that but then why not put 2 guys back to fair catch the damn ball...especially late in the game? The last 2 or 3 punts they had included 30-35 yards of roll from failing to catch the ball in the air.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, O Town said:

Agreed! TE's only having 7-8 catches each a season is not acceptable with the talent they have. After the 1st game when Luke had 4 catches I thought the narrative would change? Need to quit calling this a pro-style offense.

I watched part of the Panther/Buccaneer game and saw a pass to the Tight End on the 1st Down. That’s what a sneak play can do.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The true pro-style run-orientated offenses are rare now in college football. They do still exist though; look no further than NDSU, University of Wisconsin, and University of Iowa. 

You can either watch their games or look up the stats; either way, you'll see a ton of catches by the halfbacks, fullbacks, and tight ends.

I don't know what Rudolph is doing, but it isn't winning conventional football. Its a "Rudolph offense" because no one in their right mind would copy it and run it. 

The defense knows our play as well as he knows “Old McDonald had a Farm.”

Let's remember that UND lost the Stony Brook opener in 2016 all cause of a blocked punt for TD.  13-9.  SB's offense could barely get a first down to that point.

Richmond blocked a punt in last game of 2016 to setup a tying FG, I believe.

That's five blocked punts in three years.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Let's remember that UND lost the Stony Brook opener in 2016 all cause of a blocked punt for TD.  13-9.  SB's offense could barely get a first down to that point.

Richmond blocked a punt in last game of 2016 to setup a tying FG, I believe.

That's five blocked punts in three years.

The wide gap punt formations puts the kids at a disadvantage. Lineup normal tighten the splits with only one upback. The upbacks were overwhelmed and distracted by the  A and B gap rushers, leaving guys coming with a full run at the punter unchecked off the edge. If our guys are not blocking punts in practice all day, everyday, something is wrong with our punt block and punt protections.

The fact that we are still blowing leads on the road tells me two things: We have the talent to play with most teams on our schedule over the past 4 years. But, we are not comfortable being a lead dog. In 2015, we had Weber St down by 5 (24-19), with the ball near midfield, they had two timeouts and there was about 5 minutes on the clock. On first down, instead of running the ball to get the clock rolling we tried a naked boot and our QB gets strip sacked and fumbles. They run the ball back to the 10 yard line or so. And the rest is history. Clock management and being able to force the other team into panic mode is not something we've been able to do late in games.

Oh, I almost forgot, we also missed a short 30 yd field goal in that game.

Edited by Old School Guy
additonal thought to add

What happened the McKinney on the jet sweep last weekend?  Sure Weber shut it down, but it worked against everyone else.  I don't think McKinney even ran one against Idaho but I can't remember for sure.  

Edited by Sioux94

57 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

What happened the McKinney on the jet sweep last weekend?  Sure Weber shut it down, but it worked against everyone else.  I don't think McKinney even ran one against Weber but I can't remember for sure.  

That page fell out of the notebook.  It's fun watching teams when they have success off a play one week, then the next week a team scouts it......but the offensive coordinator is a step ahead and runs the "next" phase of the playbook using the previous play as a decoy.  Rarely have I seen that at UND, like power ball odds type rare.