SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Idaho Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

12 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I believe und would be undefeated vs fcs competition if Rudolph was not the OC.  Special teams has been atrocious and has added nothing, outside of two tds vs Weber), the D can take blame as well but the offensive side, now with a solid OL, is loaded with talent.  In only two games has unds offense reached the average points allowed by an opposing teams D.  Weber is the only team not giving up 30+ points a game.  

I agree completely.  With the development of the OL and our offensive weapons we should be putting up far more yards and points.  Kett seems to have all the tools but his development this season has been highly suspect.  He knows where he is going based on the pre-snap read and never looks anyone off.  Both of his TD's to Maag yesterday could have been picks.  Especially on the second one, he lookeded at Maag the whole way.  

The other part of the offense that is making me crazy is the play calling.  So often we seem to run and when we should pass and pass when we should run.  When was the last time our TE's were targeted more than once or twice in a game?  They are part of the under-utilized weapons for sure.  

Why take the deep shot to Maag yesterday with the lead in the 4th qtr?(plus he was hurt on play)  It was starting to feel like idaho could not stop Brady from getting 10 yards on 3 runs.  Stay with it.

• Upvote 2

Still can’t believe UND lost yesterday’s ball game. 

Absolutely awful. 

Really hurts that it is also the loss that kicks UND out of the playoff. 

In thinking about what’s next, the absolute minimum is a change at offensive coordinator and special teams coordinator. Those units are and really have been pathetic for the past 5 seasons. I’ll give Schmidt and the defense a pass because they do at least pass the eye test.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree completely.  With the development of the OL and our offensive weapons we should be putting up far more yards and points.  Kett seems to have all the tools but his development this season has been highly suspect.  He knows where he is going based on the pre-snap read and never looks anyone off.  Both of his TD's to Maag yesterday could have been picks.  Especially on the second one, he lookeded at Maag the whole way.  

The other part of the offense that is making me crazy is the play calling.  So often we seem to run and when we should pass and pass when we should run.  When was the last time our TE's were targeted more than once or twice in a game?  They are part of the under-utilized weapons for sure.  

Why take the deep shot to Maag yesterday with the lead in the 4th qtr?(plus he was hurt on play)  It was starting to feel like idaho could not stop Brady from getting 10 yards on 3 runs.  Stay with it.

Five years of it.  I don’t get how he (Rudy) has kept his job. I’ve screamed and complained until I’ve been blue in the face.  

The lack of TE usage is mind boggling. This style of offense is perfectly suited for TE usage.  Cloyd was wide open by 30 yards in the 3rd qtr vs Weber and Kett threw it into triple coverage to Wanzek   

Kett needs to be coached up. He locks on without a doubt. Wished he'd buck the current regime and use the TEs. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Who was the fullback targeted on that 4th quarter pass? Has he caught a ball all year? Why would you ever call that designed play in that situation?

DeVore. He’s more of an hback. I’m fine with them throwing him the ball. Just not in that situation. It stopped the clock.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

DeVore. He’s more of an hback. I’m fine with them throwing him the ball. Just not in that situation. It stopped the clock.

why did we decide to throw in that situation?  our top three possession receivers were out with injuries.  

we are always extra conservative in the other direction - run the ball.  I wish we had that extra minute or 1.5 minutes off the clock from the incompletions on that last drive.

• Upvote 2

I feel very similar today to how I felt after we lost the playoff game to Richmond. I just want to get away from the situation and try to forget it and move on with life. 

I wonder if it is best not to care about UND football in the first place - it has brought so much disappointment.

I know better though - all this disappointment lays the foundation for how much fun and joy it will bring when we finally put it all together.

Hopefully this old guy will be around long enough to enjoy it when it happens!!!!

Go Hawks!!!

:)

• Upvote 3

Gave more money. Bought more tickets. Got an extra tailgate spot. Encouraged friends and family to get excited about UND football. For what. Five years later, this?  If long time fans are disillusioned how are they ever going to grow this fan base 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Rewatching the game, the terrible first series after the fumble recovery was huge.  If we punch it in after the TO what are the chances we win by 2-4 tds?  Have to take advantage of those situations.  Again that is all in Rudy and Specials.

Even just getting a FG there would've been fine. Coming away with zero was a huge momentum swing and confidence boost for Idaho. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Even just getting a FG there would've been fine. Coming away with zero was a huge momentum swing and confidence boost for Idaho. 

I agree.  Unfortunately I don't think the staff was actually being intentionally aggressive there.  They knew the chances of converting on 4th and 1 were far greater than hitting on a 34 yard field goal.  

Remember when 34 yard field goals were basically automatic for UND?

Just now, bincitysioux said:

I agree.  Unfortunately I don't think the staff was actually being intentionally aggressive there.  They knew the chances of converting on 4th and 1 were far greater than hitting on a 34 yard field goal.  

Remember when 34 yard field goals were basically automatic for UND?

Agreed, the staff had no choice but to go for it. No way we were making a field goal from there. That's another problem the staff failed to address in the off season. 

13 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I know you are coach Rudolph.  You will not get an apology from me for the last five years of me calling you out.  These kids deserved better.  

Actually I have never met the guy, but I seen enough of your post to form a pretty reasonable opinion about what you are!  Coaching was crap yesterday, but it was all over the field not just one area. 

I wasn't defending the offense or Rudy in at all but pointing out that they team has a lot of issues in many areas the aren't related to the offense.  Don't throw in the BS about the kids deserve better, they are the young men making and not making the plays in order to win or lose the games.  

4 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I wasn't defending the offense or Rudy in at all but pointing out that they team has a lot of issues in many areas the aren't related to the offense.  Don't throw in the BS about the kids deserve better, they are the young men making and not making the plays in order to win or lose the games.  

Coaches are teachers. The players need to be better taught how to make said plays in order to win the games. Yesterday, they were not taught how to win in the 4th quarter. Squandering a 10-point fourth quarter lead is essentially the opposite of being a winner.

Do you think the current staff are teachers of winning?

I do not. Yesterday evidenced this. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Coaches are teachers. The players need to be better taught how to make said plays in order to win the games. Yesterday, they were not taught how to win in the 4th quarter. Squandering a 10-point fourth quarter lead is essentially the opposite of being a winner.

Do you think the current staff are teachers of winning?

I do not. Yesterday evidenced this. 

I guess I don't view it that way.  You teach a lot of things as a coach but how do you teach "winning"?   A coaches job is to put players in a position to be successful and hopefully make plays.  A lot of the time they don't make the plays even when put in the right spot and that blame falls on who?  Part of my issue with the defense is that often players are left in near impossible situations because of the ridiculous amount of blitzing we do.  Whatever the staff is doing it isn't working as well as most would like but it is tough when you watch the team cave in at the end of a couple games.  This hasn't been a bad season, just a disappointing one, and that is mainly because a few glaring mistakes have caused each loss with the exception of the Washington game.  One of my biggest reason for thinking a coaching change may be needed is that the team seems to be making a lot of stupid mistakes. At this point in the year that stuff should be cleaned up and that has to fall on the coaching staff.  

Quick question about the targeting penalty yesterday. I was hoping someone on the forum will have the answer.  These rules are fairly new to football and I haven't bothered to check into them specifically but how is it the refs can not make a call during the play, go back and review and give targeting penalty and negate a turnover.  If you are allowed to review a play and make a call based upon review, why can't it be done for every other penalty?  We could have a holding review on every single play. 

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

I guess I don't view it that way.  You teach a lot of things as a coach but how do you teach "winning"?   A coaches job is to put players in a position to be successful and hopefully make plays.  A lot of the time they don't make the plays even when put in the right spot and that blame falls on who?  Part of my issue with the defense is that often players are left in near impossible situations because of the ridiculous amount of blitzing we do.  Whatever the staff is doing it isn't working as well as most would like but it is tough when you watch the team cave in at the end of a couple games.  This hasn't been a bad season, just a disappointing one, and that is mainly because a few glaring mistakes have caused each loss with the exception of the Washington game.  One of my biggest reason for thinking a coaching change may be needed is that the team seems to be making a lot of stupid mistakes. At this point in the year that stuff should be cleaned up and that has to fall on the coaching staff.  

We can ultimately disagree on this, but whether it’s football or anything else, I have been told and have observed winning as being a habit that is taught over time.

Winning embodies characteristics such as positivity/confidence, innovation, proper communication/collaboration, and commitment to excellence. These are coachable/teachable traits and eventually they all need to be actuated. 

The current staff lacks in some of these areas in my assessment. Specifically, the innovation and confidence areas are lacking.

I want to see new teachers of winning on the sideline for UND. You are what your record says you are; hire some qualified DI coaches who know how to win. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We can ultimately disagree on this, but whether it’s football or anything else, I have been told and have observed winning as being a habit that is taught over time.

Winning embodies characteristics such as positivity/confidence, innovation, proper communication/collaboration, and commitment to excellence. These are coachable/teachable traits and eventually they all need to be actuated. 

The current staff lacks in some of these areas in my assessment. Specifically, the innovation and confidence areas are lacking.

I want to see new teachers of winning on the sideline for UND. You are what your record says you are; hire some qualified DI coaches who know how to win. 

Just because someone teaches those things and even if they are good at them it doesn't mean they are going to win.  I have been on and coached both poor teams and championship teams throughout my life and the common thread with the good teams was talent, effort, and execution.  Coaches have the most control over effort and execution because recruiting is very inexact.  Right now I think UND really struggles with consistent execution and effort to a lesser degree.    I would say confidence plays a major role as well and the other things you mentioned would be helpful.  That said I always learned more and improved more on the teams that struggled to win but nothing is the same for every person.   

The play not to go on 4th and 1 at the Vandals 43 was so illuminating.

It is not like a punt with this team is 100% risk free and the defense soon gave up the yards back to the same spot anyway.

Our own coaches don’t know their own risk and reward.  The punt unit risks a block nearly 10% of the time and would be a major game changer.  But they looked on it as a sure thing.  That time the punt worked but the next time it was blocked for a TD.  At that pace, never punt again but go for it on 4th down and let the defense come up with a big play.

• Upvote 2

So the top 2 receivers are out and the 3rd and 4th go down during the game. 

Given that Idaho's going to sell out to stop the run: run blitzes. 

How does one counter? 

Throw to the backs and TEs (unders or screens). 

First half: 2 attempts to TEs.
Second half: 2 attempts to TEs, 2 attempts to backs 

Just 6 attempts to RB/TEs in the but at least that many to just Stanley in the second half: Keep chucking it to the 5-8 WRs on the chart?