SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

No inside info on this but I think there might be a few guys that may look at transferring this offseason like Murphy did to get some playing time and just get a fresh start. Recruit wise I think Mismash, Jones, Adams, Kawaguchi, and Mattson are ready to come in. You may not need all of them depending on how many guys sign or if you get some transfers and if you don't I think it is most likely Mattson would play another year in the USHL. With the defensemen you have Bast, Rieger, and Kiersted who are all probably ready but if you only lose Poolman early I'm not sure you would want to bring in all 3. Kiersted might be the most likely to play another year in the USHL as he is the youngest and has only played in 23 games this year as I believed he was injured around the end of December and not sure what the injury is or if he can return in these last couple weeks of the USHL season.

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

No inside info on this but I think there might be a few guys that may look at transferring this offseason like Murphy did to get some playing time and just get a fresh start. Recruit wise I think Mismash, Jones, Adams, Kawaguchi, and Mattson are ready to come in. You may not need all of them depending on how many guys sign or if you get some transfers and if you don't I think it is most likely Mattson would play another year in the USHL. With the defensemen you have Bast, Rieger, and Kiersted who are all probably ready but if you only lose Poolman early I'm not sure you would want to bring in all 3. Kiersted might be the most likely to play another year in the USHL as he is the youngest and has only played in 23 games this year as I believed he was injured around the end of December and not sure what the injury is or if he can return in these last couple weeks of the USHL season.

I could see Wilkie pulling a Murphy but that's it. Gornall proved he can play. No one else seem to fit the possible transfer route IMO.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Who do we play in non-conference next season?

Wisconsin, Minnesota for sure. I assume the usual Bemidji series. 

Heard we open in Alaska and Union at home I believe  (but not sure if I mixed up a future season) 

edit: Checked Schlossman's blog and all the above plus our other series is St Lawrence. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Wisconsin, Minnesota for sure. I assume the usual Bemidji series. 

Heard we open in Alaska and Union at home I believe  (but not sure if I mixed up a future season) 

Schlossman has Alaska tournament, Minnesota, @ Wisconsin, Union, home/home with Bemidji, and St. Lawrence as next years tentative schedule.

My first hand observation yesterday was that UND may have been the smallest team in Fargo. 

Ohio State has a couple big guys, BU is big, and UMD is mammoth. Yeah, Tucker Poolman was out, but those teams were just bigger. 

Is there anything UND can add this off-season to put some size back into the line-up? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Poganski's numbers this year, 12 goals and 13 assists, are nearly identical to Malone's junior year...11 goals and 14 assists.

yes but pogo has so much more god given offensive talent than malone has/had...he should've doubled that output

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We only age out two seniors (Ausmus and Hrynkiw). 

I'm strictly looking at DOB (not thinking health and such): 

Gabe Bast and Josh Rieger are '96 DOBs. They have to come now or they start losing NCAA eligibility by being over 21 at arrival. 
That tells me the team knows the need two defensemen (Ausmus obviously, and Tucker Poolman) and it's Bast and Rieger. 

The team loses SR Matty Rinks.
Peter Thome is a '97 DOB. Pretty clear there. Adam Scheel is a 1999. He's the insurance depending on Cam (or even Tomek). 

We've lost Boeser. His 'cou jersey is hanging in the visitor's locker room in The X (just saw it on the Twit). 
Seems clear Nic Jones (1996 DOB, transfer from OSU who is doing the transfer sit-out year in Penticton) is that slot at forward. 

UND ran a 14-8-4 (26 man) roster this year when it's normally 15-8-3. I wonder if they'll bring in 1997 DOB Kawaguchi to try to increase competition (and scoring). The only other 1997 is Keane and he really didn't light up the USHL this year. I suspect he's the insurance. 

After that, all the pipeline guys are 1998 or younger DOBs. I suppose you dip into the best of those as needed. 

I thought that proposal got canned?

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My first hand observation yesterday was that UND may have been the smallest team in Fargo. 

Ohio State has a couple big guys, BU is big, and UMD is mammoth. Yeah, Tucker Poolman was out, but those teams were just bigger. 

Is there anything UND can add this off-season to put some size back into the line-up? 

A couple bigger guys will help expecially driving the net, kinda like Tucker 2 years ago when he played some forward, and shades on Wollanin when he steps up

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would you believe only UMD had us on average height and weight(by .2 pounds)...of course that is the entire roster and not necessarily who played.

Just now, keikla said:

He could have turned pro after last year but stayed to play with Colton.  I don't expect him to make that same decision again, regardless of how much fun they've had over the past year.

You think he wants to leave UND injured and watching his teams' heart ripped out while he was in a suit?

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is Tucker 100% gone? What if he wants to play with his brother again and have the final season he deaerves. You'd have to think watching yesterday's game had an impact on him.

We need Tucker back, next year either him or Jost is captain and him and Colton are the first defensive pairing