SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

Lose boeser and tucker and we still have an awesome team next year.  Lose Cam and we have capable goalies to step in. I do think a guy like pogo or wolanin may sign....hopefully I'm wrong.  I think jost may stay and be captain of Canada for the U20s, that will be the only thing holding him from signing 

18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Lose boeser and tucker and we still have an awesome team next year.  Lose Cam and we have capable goalies to step in. I do think a guy like pogo or wolanin may sign....hopefully I'm wrong.  I think jost may stay and be captain of Canada for the U20s, that will be the only thing holding him from signing 

Wolanin signing a pro contract as a D-man? If that's the case I picked the wrong profession. Guy is very talented but playing defense is not his specialty. I really would like to see him get an opportunity at forward.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I have a good feeling about Jost staying. I wouldn't be sad if Johnson or Wolanin left early but would be if Pogo did. 

We only age out two seniors (Ausmus and Hrynkiw). 

I'm strictly looking at DOB (not thinking health and such): 

Gabe Bast and Josh Rieger are '96 DOBs. They have to come now or they start losing NCAA eligibility by being over 21 at arrival. 
That tells me the team knows the need two defensemen (Ausmus obviously, and Tucker Poolman) and it's Bast and Rieger. 

The team loses SR Matty Rinks.
Peter Thome is a '97 DOB. Pretty clear there. Adam Scheel is a 1999. He's the insurance depending on Cam (or even Tomek). 

We've lost Boeser. His 'cou jersey is hanging in the visitor's locker room in The X (just saw it on the Twit). 
Seems clear Nic Jones (1996 DOB, transfer from OSU who is doing the transfer sit-out year in Penticton) is that slot at forward. 

UND ran a 14-8-4 (26 man) roster this year when it's normally 15-8-3. I wonder if they'll bring in 1997 DOB Kawaguchi to try to increase competition (and scoring). The only other 1997 is Keane and he really didn't light up the USHL this year. I suspect he's the insurance. 

After that, all the pipeline guys are 1998 or younger DOBs. I suppose you dip into the best of those as needed. 

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I agree........ possibly Pogo too but that would be a mistake. Jost should come back. Why be 18 and spend some of your teenage years in a dumpster fire?

My gut tells me the Avs will want Jost now. Obviously they are in the rebuilding mode and they will want to develop their young talent. My gut is rarely right so there is that.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We only age out two seniors (Ausmus and Hrynkiw). 

I'm strictly looking at DOB (not thinking health and such): 

Gabe Bast and Josh Rieger are '96 DOBs. They have to come now or they start losing NCAA eligibility by being over 21 at arrival. 
That tells me the team knows the need two defensemen (Ausmus obviously, and Tucker Poolman) and it's Bast and Rieger. 

The team loses SR Matty Rinks.
Peter Thome is a '97 DOB. Pretty clear there. Adam Scheel is a 1999. He's the insurance depending on Cam (or even Tomek). 

We've lost Boeser. His 'cou jersey is hanging in the visitor's locker room in The X (just saw it on the Twit). 
Seems clear Nic Jones (1996 DOB, transfer from OSU who is doing the transfer sit-out year in Penticton) is that slot at forward. 

UND ran a 14-8-4 (26 man) roster this year when it's normally 15-8-3. I wonder if they'll bring in 1997 DOB Kawaguchi to try to increase competition (and scoring). The only other 1997 is Keane and he really didn't light up the USHL this year. I suspect he's the insurance. 

After that, all the pipeline guys are 1998 or younger DOBs. I suppose you dip into the best of those as needed. 

What about Mismash, Kawaguchi, and C. Adams?  I would suspect they will be in NoDak uniforms this fall.  Their are also others in the pipeline to fill any voids.  Our D-Corps should be very solid next year.  Peski really developed during the year and I thought C. Johnson played overall a pretty good game yesterday.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Boeser and Jost would junk-punch an already offensively challenged team. 

Worse? Who's the leader? I still say the 2016-17 team lacked leadership. 

Bubs will find someone.  This year's team was just snake bit a lot.  Rarely did they get the greasy goals or lucky bounces.  Last nights game was a great example.  Clearly they were the better team but just couldn't get that lucky bounce (rather unlikely stuff happened).  Next year's a new year.  

• Upvote 1

About the 2017-18 defense, well, it makes me smile. 

4, 5, and 6 have come a long ways. Add in 24 and 28 and there's a core five. 

Now, that said, let me add 24 needs to improve on the defensive part of his game. Markedly. He makes some questionable choices. Running the point? Sure? But 5x5 in a tie game he needs to think more "defend" and less "jump in" unless he knows there's a responsible forward and center out there with him to cover for him. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Wolanin comes to mind. 

Pretty telling when him and Rhett are the ones to address the media after a loss like yesterday's.

What leaders do. 

I think among underclassmen a clear leadership group emerged this year. Didn't see it right away, but I think it's clear now. 

• Upvote 1