SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - FRIDAY NCHC SEMI GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

I've watched just about every damn game this year and tonite's effort was spectacular.  This just looked like a different team.  They were focused defensively and were miserable to play against.  DU had their chances but couldn't cash them.  The announcers said this looked like a Frozen Four game and I have to agree.  Hope they can bring the same effort against UMD Saturday night.  Go Sioux!!  Oh, and btw, see you all in Fargo next week!!!!

• Upvote 4

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Apparently anything less than a crowd of 45,000 for Sioux games is an indicator to some over of GPL that North Dakota hockey fans don't travel well.  :lol:

Their fanbase is vastly bigger, yet they don't travel for !@#$ unless it's a Uber ride to St. Paul. 

I'd say it's pretty darn amazing how well UND fans support the hockey team when they play away from Grand Forks.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Apparently anything less than a crowd of 45,000 for Sioux games is an indicator to some over of GPL that North Dakota hockey fans don't travel well.  :lol:

They obviously didn't watch the game at MSG. Meanwhile ther was maybe a couple hundred fans total at their game last night against Penn St.

14 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I'd say it's pretty darn amazing how well UND fans support the hockey team when they play away from Grand Forks.

Let's give credit to lots of Twin Cities alumni and friends who support the team too.  I talked with many fans at yesterday's game who came from the likes of Chanhassen, Eden Prairie, Roseville, Apple Valley, Stillwater, etc.

Also chatted with a guy and his family who drove from Hazen ND. Fun bunch he brought with him!  30 years ago, nobody in that neck of the woods knew UND had a hockey team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Also chatted with a guy and his familwho drove from Hazen ND. Fun bunch he brought with him!  30 years ago, nobody in that neck of the woods knew UND had a hockey team.  

Excuse me,  but I am from 10 miles west of there (Beulah) and I have known about UND hockey since October 1975 since I started at UND, which is now 40+ years ago.  And so did my Mom, because I quit coming home for Thanksgiving and was heading back early at Christmas if there was a hockey game.  See you at the Hogg in 50 minutes.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I have never seen a perfect hockey game.

But tonight, UND came darn close.   

Great job boys.

Agree whole heartedly

12 hours ago, burd said:

Sounded on radio like Jost had a very strong defensive game.   Obviously, a lot of them did.

I'm not an expert but man is he responsible.  And he covered up a mistake or 2 with a good back-check, etc.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, dagies said:

Agree whole heartedly

I'm not an expert but man is he responsible.  And he covered up a mistake or 2 with a good back-check, etc.

Best 2 way forward at UND since some guy named Toews.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Best 2 way forward at UND since some guy named Toews.

Best corner player and best edge player (with his skates) since... well, he's the best player with that skill I've ever witnessed at UND. Been watching UND hockey for over 25 years. Says a lot. He's a special talent! 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Best corner player and best edge player (with his skates) since... well, he's the best player with that skill I've ever witnessed at UND. Been watching UND hockey for over 25 years. Says a lot. He's a special talent! 

I agree. Man I hope he comes back for one more year. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, dagies said:

Agree whole heartedly

Sounded on radio like he saved the bacon a couple of times on back checks.  His skills are rightly compared to Toews.  I have no knowledge to back this up, but he strikes me as an intelligent kid, and that quality counts.

• Upvote 1

This is the first game I've seen live this year.  I'd heard the comparisons but hadn't been able to see him play.  I get it now.  Just solid, responsible, talented.   He reminds me of Zajac too, because when he had the puck, you were never concerned he'd do the wrong thing.  Just seems to be in the right place at the right time to do the right thing.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dagies said:

This is the first game I've seen live this year.  I'd heard the comparisons but hadn't been able to see him play.  I get it now.  Just solid, responsible, talented.   He reminds me of Zajac too, because when he had the puck, you were never concerned he'd do the wrong thing.  Just seems to be in the right place at the right time to do the right thing.

Yeah, I've only see the team on the screen this year, and until you see a player live it's hard to know how good they are at all phases. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Sad that Minnesota couldn't get at least a thousand fans to Detroit. That's gotta be an easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive flight from Mpls to Detroit. 

On the hour every other hour. There are actually more flights to gfk then there are to dtw from msp right now. 

4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Sad that Minnesota couldn't get at least a thousand fans to Detroit. That's gotta be an easy, quick, and relatively inexpensive flight from Mpls to Detroit. 

Flights would be cheap, but it might be hard to find good tickets for a fair price for the tourney.

;)

2 hours ago, dagies said:

Same seats this year?  We weren't able to make the trip this year, but sold our tickets to some Sioux fans!  :)

13 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Their fanbase is vastly bigger, yet they don't travel for !@#$ unless it's a Uber ride to St. Paul. 

Gopher fans just say the fans at away games are ND transplants. 

Some are, some aren't. We show up, all that matters.