SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

4 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So in the end, everyone moved up to D1 for the opportunity to play the exact same competition for millions more, which we evidently can't afford.  Can't wait.  

Was the NCC MBB title game on ESPN2 and WBB game on ESPNU? Going DI was about increased exposure and playing more peer schools, at least that is what it was for in regards NDSU and the move has certainly delivered that. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So you're telling me that maybe we were on the verge of possibly starting a rivalry with potentially some teams was maybe about to happen sometime? :D

So you're telling me in 1900 (6 years after the first meeting in 1894), UND and NDAC had a helluva football rivalry going?  Thanks, gramps. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

Was the NCC MBB title game on ESPN2 and WBB game on ESPNU? Going DI was about increased exposure and playing more peer schools, at least that is what it was for in regards NDSU and the move has certainly delivered that. 

And what have you received in terms of compensation for said exposure?   Is the university better off financially?  More grants?  Genuine question; i'd like to know. 

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Meh.

The fact that NDSU has been the dominant basketball program in the Summit since they joined, and the fact that SDSU has been one of the dominant football programs in the MVFC since they joined tells me all I need to know about "how strong" those conferences are.  Neither of those programs were ever known for doing much in either of those sports before they joined those conferences.

SDSU has spent a lot of money investing in football, I mean just look at their current facilities...probably the best in the region. NDSU put a ton into basketball, when it moved up it had coaches like Tim Miles that could recruit and the NCAA tournament gave them something real to sell. You need to leave DII in the past, it is a different world now. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

And what have you received in terms of compensation for said exposure?   Is the university better off financially?  More grants?  Genuine question; i'd like to know. 

I think the school is attracting better students, the school could probably have a bigger enrollment if it had a better infrastructure. I think the community has invested a lot more in NDSU as well. 

The school certainly has a much more recognizable profile nationally. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Where's the press release, tweet, white smoke ... 

< looks at watch > 
< shrug > 

I wish PCM still hung around there-here parts.
He was a media jackal so he'd get notice of press conferences (date, time) and clue me in. 

So, has UND scheduled a press conference for tomorrow? 

"when enough school presidents of the Summit and Missouri Valley Football Conference give approval for UND in two separate expansion votes, then that will be like the Berlin Wall between Fargo and Grand Forks being torn down. "

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4205843-kolpack-great-transition-war-finally-over

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

when enough school presidents of the Summit and Missouri Valley Football Conference give approval for UND in two separate expansion votes, then that will be like the Berlin Wall between Fargo and Grand Forks being torn down. "

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4205843-kolpack-great-transition-war-finally-over

That says "when".
I thought the MVFC presidents were to vote today. 

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

it's only been 6 years.  the start of some potentially great rivalries was in the making.  If women's hockey gets axed this move will be more palatable to me.   But if we're leaving the big sky to essentially help continue to pay for the money pit that is women's hockey, I will need a lot more ketchup on my bisonburger.      

That's pure speculation on your part in terms of Big Sky Conference rivalries. UND may have needed another 10 to 20 seasons to even produce something slightly resembling a rival in the BSC. People are really trying to force this Big Sky Conference thing.

I agree with the "true rival" argument for UND going to the MVFC as well as the "same goals, less $" arguement - that is, UND can still win the FCS national championship and reach the NCAA MBB tourney all while spending less.

15 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Are any of you guys friends with siouxvolley?  Might want to stop by his house and do a suicide check, he is kind of awol.

SV is fine, he said he was taking some time away; but, you'd better go find lakes ... 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'll role play as President Trump on this one: WRONG!

.......as he types wearing his 1/2 UND 1/2 NDSU vintage 1983 combo jersey and a "Make the Rivalry Great Again" hat.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FargoBison said:

I think the school is attracting better students, the school could probably have a bigger enrollment if it had a better infrastructure. I think the community has invested a lot more in NDSU as well. 

The school certainly has a much more recognizable profile nationally. 

so the reward has been better students, which seems very subjective, and the community has had the privilege of spending more money.   and more people in the country have heard of you.   some non diehard sports fans may argue this really isn't worth it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

it's only been 6 years.  the start of some potentially great rivalries was in the making.  If women's hockey gets axed this move will be more palatable to me.   But if we're leaving the big sky to essentially help continue to pay for the money pit that is women's hockey, I will need a lot more ketchup on my bisonburger.      

Fun fact!:

If you dig into the latest NCAA Revenue/Expenses reporting documents conveniently buried deep on the UND website, you'll find out tha Men's Hockey actually ran a LARGER deficit for the school than Women's Hockey in the last reporting year.

Let me repeat: Men's Hockey lost money and had to be subsidized.  And that subsidy was larger, as a straight dollar figure, than the Women's program.

The women "lost" approximately $1.2 million.

The men- about $1.5 million.

Yeah, the men's program drives revenue, but it doesn't cover the costs.  Even if you work in licensing and merchandise rights, and assume that was all driven by Men's Hockey, the program was STILL in the hole.

Welcome to the reality of college athletics.

Theres a reason we are making this move. When even our prestige sport can't pay its own way, finding ways to cut down on the overall department costs (and resulting need for subsidy) is paramount.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That's pure speculation on your part in terms of Big Sky Conference rivalries. UND may have needed another 10 to 20 seasons to even produce something slightly resembling a rival in the BSC. People are really trying to force this Big Sky Conference thing.

I agree with the "true rival" argument for UND going to the MVFC as well as the "same goals, less $" arguement - that is, UND can still win the FCS national championship and reach the NCAA MBB tourney all while spending less.

Idk, I've enjoyed the montana and montana state games the most which seemed to show some promise.  Hopefully the summit/mvfc provides the stability its proponents are touting.  otherwise, the rivalry argument may go out the window down the road there, too.   

3 minutes ago, Nordlander said:

Fun fact!:

If you dig into the latest NCAA Revenue/Expenses reporting documents conveniently buried deep on the UND website, you'll find out tha Men's Hockey actually ran a LARGER deficit for the school than Women's Hockey in the last reporting year.

Let me repeat: Men's Hockey lost money and had to be subsidized.  And that subsidy was larger, as a straight dollar figure, than the Women's program.

The women "lost" approximately $1.2 million.

The men- about $1.5 million.

Yeah, the men's program drives revenue, but it doesn't cover the costs.  Even if you work in licensing and merchandise rights, and assume that was all driven by Men's Hockey, the program was STILL in the hole.

Welcome to the reality of college athletics.

Theres a reason we are making this move. When even our prestige sport can't pay its own way, finding ways to cut down on the overall department costs (and resulting need for subsidy) is paramount.

i'm guessing that report is the same one that doesn't put any of the REA building expenses towards the women's program?   

• Upvote 4