SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I personally love this. Not going to read the whole thread, but what's the consensus about this? Do more people like this than not?

Seem split. Some love the Big Sky, and not being in the same league as NDSU.

I personally love it. I look forward to more rivalry type games in football and basketball. I also love that with the MVFC and Summit, comes more exposure through ESPN3, which makes watching football and basketball far easier, as I can just flip on my Roku app.

I'll miss some of the Big Sky matchups, but we'll get plenty of good ones in the MVFC and Summit too. Should be consistently in the mix to win some Summit League basketball titles. We're in the mix right now for a Big Sky one. Would be fun to see UND in March Madness periodically.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

I don't love this. I get it. I'm ok with it. I just liked the other way better. I liked those road trips better, and it's kinda of like Texas A&M being in SEC vs Big 12 like all the other Texas schools for me. I'm not gonna do anything about it; I'm just not gonna throw a party over it.

My feelings exactly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I don't love this. I get it. I'm ok with it. I just liked the other way better. I liked those road trips better, and it's kinda of like Texas A&M being in SEC vs Big 12 like all the other Texas schools for me. I'm not gonna do anything about it; I'm just not gonna throw a party over it.

Well said.  I enjoyed having something different to promote to recruits.  Plus i feel some of the teams in the big sky were becoming familiar with fans

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coyotecrazie5 said:

According to RPI for MBB The Summit is ranked #17 and Big Sky #29 out of 32 teams

According to RPI for WBB The Summit is ranked #11 and Big Sky #19 out of 32 teams

It's like this year after year too. The Big Sky is not a good basketball conference.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, coyotecrazie5 said:

According to RPI for MBB The Summit is ranked #17 and Big Sky #29 out of 32 teams

According to RPI for WBB The Summit is ranked #11 and Big Sky #19 out of 32 teams

Get your statistic-backed argument out of here (but not until after it is pointed out that the Summit has had a better RPI each of the past 7 seasons in MBB).

MVFC/Summit Conference: closest school to UND is 81 miles away. 

Big Sky Conference: closest school to UND is 807 miles away.

In my opinion, it's obvious where UND belongs. Since UND has been in the Big Sky Conference (since 2012), football and MBB have 1 combined conference championship; thus, conference dominance shouldn't factor into this. UND needs to do big things (and should) in the Summit/MVFC and win the BSC in the interim. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Get your statistic-backed argument out of here (but not until after it is pointed out that the Summit has had a better RPI each of the past 7 seasons in MBB).

RPI is a better measure of how well you can schedule since your own win-loss counts for only around 25% of it. That being said, top to bottom, the Summit is deeper but both conferences are and will be one bid conferences for the foreseeable future.

I'm neutral on the move overall. Both conferences have their advantages and disadvantages. However I've stated since UND joined the Big Sky that UND had never had to choose between the Big Sky and the Summit/MVFC because there had never been a MVFC option. With it being presented and state budget cuts, it was just a matter of time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MVFC/Summit Conference: closest school to UND is 807 miles away. 

Big Sky Conference: closest school to UND is 81 miles away.

In my opinion, it's obvious where UND belongs. Since UND has been in the Big Sky Conference (since 2012), football and MBB have 1 combined conference championship; thus, conference dominance shouldn't factor into this. UND needs to do big things (and should) in the Summit/MVFC and win the BSC in the interim. 

Think you got this backwards 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seem split. Some love the Big Sky, and not being in the same league as NDSU.

I personally love it. I look forward to more rivalry type games in football and basketball. I also love that with the MVFC and Summit, comes more exposure through ESPN3, which makes watching football and basketball far easier, as I can just flip on my Roku app.

I'll miss some of the Big Sky matchups, but we'll get plenty of good ones in the MVFC and Summit too. Should be consistently in the mix to win some Summit League basketball titles. We're in the mix right now for a Big Sky one. Would be fun to see UND in March Madness periodically.

The rivalries alone make me love this. I don't really get why people hate this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1