SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

8 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

From an attendance standpoint, you on care about your home schedule. An individual school does have input into its home schedule, and can, by itself, create a more regular home schedule...if there are an even number of teams. It  can't if there is an odd number.

I don't have a clue what you are trying to get at. Who said anything about attendance? All I said that the Big Sky managed to have a pretty normalized schedule with an odd number of teams, even though it is much easier with an even number, which you said isn't possible. Clearly it isn't logistically possible to make it perfect with an odd number of teams but the Summit seems to be going out of its way to make it as convoluted as possible.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Is schedule regularity a thing in MBB?  I guess I've never been much more than a casual fan, but other than the Big Ten-ACC challenge (made for TV) which always falls on the same night of the week, I sort of figured game schedules were unstructured if not completely arbitrary.

bit more of a big deal in conference play for the low and mid majors. the major leagues will basically do whatever espn wants to get their hands on their millions. for example, i am a kansas fan/alum and they play conference games on monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday, and saturday this year. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how many schools days do they miss this way per week?

The MW does a great job of scheduling for student athletes.  There is only one weekend where they need to take a flight and stay for both Wednesday/Saturday games.  The rest are usually home on Wednesday, on the road Saturday or vice versa.

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

bit more of a big deal in conference play for the low and mid majors. the major leagues will basically do whatever espn wants to get their hands on their millions. for example, i am a kansas fan/alum and they play conference games on monday, tuesday, wednesday, friday, and saturday this year. 

Higher budget teams charter.  Big difference from the Slummit.

5 hours ago, Gothmog said:

No, the point is that you can't have that kind of regular conference schedule with an odd number of teams. On a given Thursday or Saturday night at least one Summit :League team must not be playing a conference game. Adding UND, or any other team for that matter, will allow a more regular schedule. NDSU moving to the Big Sky creates the same odd-number problem for that conference. 

Odd number? Easy.
Still make "travel partners".
It's just that one partner is "bye".
Yes, that means one weekend per year someone gets a home Friday or Saturday off. 
Alternatively, one road weekend is a one-stop per year. 

So what's Douple's address so I can send the invoice? 

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Odd number? Easy.
Still make "travel partners".
It's just that one partner is "bye".
Yes, that means one weekend per year someone gets a home Friday or Saturday off. 
Alternatively, one road weekend is a one-stop per year. 

So what's Douple's address so I can send the invoice? 

The team that is the travel partner with bye is now playing a well-rested team every Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Article: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4204979-sources-und-set-leave-big-sky-conference

UND has verbally agreed to join the Summit League in the fall of 2018 for most of its athletic programs, the Herald has learned.

UND also is finalizing a move to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. MVFC presidents will vote on the move Wednesday. It is expected to pass.

UND is planning to make a move to the WAC in 2049 as the conference will still have its FBS membership opportunity at that point. :p

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

This was the missing piece and finally resolved:

UND won’t join the Missouri Valley Football Conference until 2020. The plan is to play as a full member of the Big Sky Conference in 2017 and as an affiliate member in 2018 and 2019.

As an affiliate member, UND would not be eligible to get the league’s automatic qualifier to the FCS playoffs or win the league regular season championship. But if UND does win the league, it won’t need the automatic bid to get in the playoffs, anyway.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I personally love this. Not going to read the whole thread, but what's the consensus about this? Do more people like this than not?

Good part:  Get back in same league as Bison, Jacks and Yotes.  Will miss:  Playing Griz, Bobcats (and Weber in MBB).  Will not miss:  playing rest of Big Sky teams.

• Upvote 4