SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Imagine Clive on one side, Demun on the other side, Santiago to Studs' right and Oliveira to his left and big ol Cloyd at TE. Try and defend that.

That is going to be a machine, barring injuries. Add a top notch defense. More depth, what potential. Might have to buy more season tickets!!!

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Imagine Clive on one side, Demun on the other side, Santiago to Studs' right and Oliveira to his left and big ol Cloyd at TE. Try and defend that.

Like to see Cloyd more involved now.  Possession receivers Wanzek and Toivonen could make a very potent offense.

We need another Clive in recruiting and a QB for 2018.

Next year there will be some really high expectations.  We only graduate 5-6 guys that start or play a lot, and don't graduate somebody like Ratelle or Reyes, Studs or Santiago types....all of the big names are back next year and the younger guys a year more experience.  Coe and Labatt are really good players though, but you are going to lose some good players every year.  Losing Coe will probably hurt us the most since that is where we are thin, although those younger guys should be groomed by next year......hopefully. 

Never know what could happen with injuries etc. next year though, so the time is now to make a run! 

I am pretty convinced that if SDSU beats UNI, they will leap over us for the 8 seed and we end up playing Montana in Missoula for a chance to play in Brookings.  Jacks would be 8-3 with one of the toughest SOS in the FCS with a win over #1 NDSU as well as being conference champions.  Sam Houston still needs to win and beat Central Arkansas, but the UNI/SDSU game is the one I will be most concerned about.

2 hours ago, homer said:

http://nobowls.com/

Probably the best breakdown I have seen heading into the weekend.  Likely the most realistic bracket as well based on odds at this point.  Still don't agree with UNI but it's looking like everyone thinks they are in with a win. 

really cool link.  It looks like were are direct competition with SDSU (which we kind of figured), so a UNI win would go a long way for a UND top 8 seed.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, mj23 said:

This is a different year and UND has won 9 straight.  The committee can't ignore that especially if both those scenarios i mentioned happened.  They won't have any excuse to leave them out of that 8 seed.

Hope you are right, you sound way more optimistic than I do, and coming from a Bison fan, great. Maybe it's just that we didn't make it last year, and therefor have not much confidence in the selection committee. Also, we are not a proven playoff team, no past Div I playoff history. This committee seems to like to give credit to traditional winners.

If SDSU does win the debate is on.  We would both be conference champs.  We would have one more win than SDSU.  We have a common opponent in Cal Poly and they lost to them and we beat them.  End of season performance,  we have won 9 straight.  I think we would stay ahead of them.  Especially considering what the committee did to us last year.  We also remember this is the NCAA.  So hold your breath.

• Upvote 3

If SDSU wins, making either SDSU or UND the #9 seed, and that #9 seed gets sent on the road to Montana for round 1..... that blows.  Montana is absolutely terrible on the road, as evidenced by their 1-4 record, with the 1 win coming against a soft MVFC - UNI squad.  However, nobody should relish the prospect of playing the Griz in Missoula.  That's a tough place to win and a poor reward for barely missing a seed.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If SDSU wins, making either SDSU or UND the #9 seed, and that #9 seed gets sent on the road to Montana for round 1..... that blows.  Montana is absolutely terrible on the road, as evidenced by their 1-4 record, with the 1 win coming against a soft MVFC - UNI squad.  However, nobody should relish the prospect of playing the Griz in Missoula.  That's a tough place to win and a poor reward for barely missing a seed.

Welcome to the FC$ Playoffs!!

Rationalization sucks, but it is a reality.  Of course the best thing to do would be to rank all 24 teams, bracket them accordingly, and give the home game to the highest seed.  But that is much to easy and logical for the NCAA. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Does Montana get in if SDSU beats UNI?  What would their best win be?  Their resume is dogshit.  Praying that we get seeded and get to face off against them after all the smack their fans talked at the beginning of this season. 

Their best win? The NCAA's bank account after they host a game...

Washington-Grizzly-Stadium2.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I feel good that UNI is playing for their playoff lives, not just trying to play spoiler (& playing at home). I'd bet on UNI beating SDSU, so hopefully the entire SDSU jumping UND discussion just turns out to be mid-week chatter.

Or at least UNI plays them really tough and it's a very close game, that would make it harder in my eyes for them to jump SDSU over us.  If they already felt SDSU was more deserving they should have had them ahead of us already, a win against a below .500 team shouldn't jump them over us IMO especially when we have a common opponent that we beat and they lost against.  However I am still worried about it like everybody else.  

• Upvote 3

I'm confident we'll get the 8 seed, but say we don't, with this year being the first year the committee came out with weekly lists at the end of the year; does anyone else think we would be set up with a home game since it would basically be public knowledge that we are the 9 seed and it would look bad on the committee to send us on the road? Maybe I'm giving the committee too much credit but that's my thought process.

14 minutes ago, northdakota18 said:

I'm confident we'll get the 8 seed, but say we don't, with this year being the first year the committee came out with weekly lists at the end of the year; does anyone else think we would be set up with a home game since it would basically be public knowledge that we are the 9 seed and it would look bad on the committee to send us on the road? Maybe I'm giving the committee too much credit but that's my thought process.

It's all about bids/money after the seeded teams.  If we bid enough, we will get a home game...