SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Poly's QB is a beast. They will pass more and more effectively than last year. Our DBs will be under a lot of strain on saturday and will need to be extremely disciplined with their eyes.  We can't afford to get burned deep on a couple of TD passes. We will need them to make a couple of very good plays on saturday if we want to win. Their D is also very fast and did a good job against Santiago last year so I expect more of the same this year. This is going to be a tough ass game. If we can knock their QB around and get him out of rhythm it will be huge.

Discipline, discipline and more discipline!!! Assisgment sharp and first hit tackles... need to wrap up and and or punish!  Need to punish their qb every time he throws a late pitch or drops back to pass.  Make him think about what's coming for the next play. 

Going to be a fun game 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The last time a No.16 ranked Cal Poly team visited the Alerus Center (2009), this happened: 

Let's hope for a similar result for UND. 

Go Hawks!

I remember that one!

Unfortunately this happened two week after the game that shall never be mentioned... so about 150 students were there.  But hey, we were loud!

16 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

If I heard correctly. At one point Montana had completed 35 of 40 passes and still couldn't run on CP.  CP will make us beat them thru the air, and if we aren't willing to do that, it will be a.long day for the Hawks.

Couldn't or chose not to?  

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Against Cal Poly, UM's power RB averaged 5.7 per carry (11 carries). Their quick RB only got 1 yard per carry (10 carries). QB went 47/59 for 400+ yards. UM missed a FG with 2 minutes left and ended up losing by 1. Time for Taubs to get back on track. 

Might mean another good day for Brady, and maybe our leading rusher in yards again?  Still hoping Santiago can break a long one this week. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Might mean another good day for Brady, and maybe our leading rusher in yards again?  Still hoping Santiago can break a long one this week. 

Brady and Santiago both having success is not mutually exclusive. In other words, it's possible to get both of them involved (and have big days) by playing Santiago more out wide or in the slot while Brady (or any other back) is in the backfield. 

• Upvote 1

It's become pretty clear this year, if UND is going to win many games it will be because of the defense. That includes creating more turnovers. Pretty much the key to the games unless the offense wakes up. Appears teams are keying in on Santiego, and it appears the coaches are realizing this (and or the oline doesn't create holes to get to the second level where Santiego excels and realized olivera can bull through better.)

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Brady and Santiago both having success is not mutually exclusive. In other words, it's possible to get both of them involved (and have big days) by playing Santiago more out wide or in the slot while Brady (or any other back) is in the backfield. 

Yes I totally agree that we need to play Santiago more in the slot or at wide out.  Since Clive went down we've had no deep threat and this would help with that and should spread out the defense more.  Plus it would get Santiago in to space as you said since he isn't finding any space from the RB position.  He should have some wide out skills correct being he was recruited as such?  Plus Brady seems physical enough to handle 20 plus carries.  I'd still like to see Santiago get 20 touches but them coming from a combo of places would be nice.  Time for the offensive play calling to get a bit more creative.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UND1992 said:

Yes I totally agree that we need to play Santiago more in the slot or at wide out.  Since Clive went down we've had no deep threat and this would help with that and should spread out the defense more.  Plus it would get Santiago in to space as you said since he isn't finding any space from the RB position.  He should have some wide out skills correct being he was recruited as such?  Plus Brady seems physical enough to handle 20 plus carries.  I'd still like to see Santiago get 20 touches but them coming from a combo of places would be nice.  Time for the offensive play calling to get a bit more creative.

Spot on

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Has Santiago played much at receiver this year (it's where he started when he first came to UND)?

He caught a TD as a wide out against South Dakota, so yes, he has played some receiver in certain packages. It is his only career touchdown reception at UND, though. 

However, given the UND offensive struggles at times, I think it would be worth it to try Santiago out wide or in the slot more with Brady Oliveira in the backfield. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2016 at 8:03 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Good. Almost wish it was at noon though. Get that west coast team to come out flat and tired.

Cal Poly practices at 6:00 am California time (4:00 am ND time) so a 11:00 am California start time should not be to tough on them.  

Can't wait for the game on Saturday...it's a big one and a must win in my opinion!  Hopefully we get a good and boisterous crowd to help energize the team and get in the heads of the Mustangs!  Knowing how these two teams play, this could be the SHORTEST game I go to all year...haha!

Bubba and Company know their way around the triple option.  It's not the most fun thing to practice for in a short timeframe, but I like to think our guys will be up to the challenge.  Assignment football and eye discipline are going to be huge...I watched the Poly/UM game on Saturday and their QB is the real deal.  Much more multi-dimensional than what they had last year.  Our db's will have a lot of pressure on them with the dual threat of play action and having to make tackles on the edge...that should be a good matchup.  Hopefully on offense we can get a running back (my guess Oliviera based on watching the Poly/UM game) going to wear down the inside of their "D".  Do that, hit a big play somehow (hopefully Santiago in some form), cut down the penalties and get Studsrud on track with some easy throws/rollouts and I think we'll be ok on offense.  Personally I'd like to see a few back-shoulder type of throws.  Our receivers aren't very fast but they are tall/lanky with decent body control...so I think this is something we could incorporate if we are seeing 1 on 1 coverage on the outside.

We held these guys to something like 150 yards rushing last year and forced a couple turnovers...if we do that again we'll win.  If they get to 250+...well at least we'll have a banner raising at the Ralph to brighten our mood.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this game should be a prime time 6 or 7pm start time...totally stupid its at 1pm.

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

With the banner raising the same night for hockey? You'd be missing a lot of fans.

This is true.  We have season tickets for football and so will be in GF all day/evening Saturday.  If the games conflicted, we'd be driving up later and our football tickets would go unused.  Not because we'd want to skip football, but because it's been a long time since I was excited to see the banner hit the rafters.  If the hockey game was a normal exhibition that conflicted, we'd be at the football game.  But it's not. 

I'm just glad we get to do both! :D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

This is true.  We have season tickets for football and so will be in GF all day/evening Saturday.  If the games conflicted, we'd be driving up later and our football tickets would go unused.  Not because we'd want to skip football, but because it's been a long time since I was excited to see the banner hit the rafters.  If the hockey game was a normal exhibition that conflicted, we'd be at the football game.  But it's not. 

I'm just glad we get to do both! :D

Totally! I don't say that to slight football in the least. I love both, and if it came down to it I would bring a second tv into the living room to watch both. It wouldn't be the first time.

But in terms of on site fans having to pick one or the other to be at. Hockey will generally win out. I know some fans don't like it, but the fact is Hockey is the #1 sport at UND, and even if UND football went on a NDSU type run, it would be hard to replace that (granted if that happened, I think you would see top notch support for both programs). But given this is the first banner to be raised in so long, people would go to hockey over football. Having the game at 1:00 was the right thing to do. Though I agree with others on here, and have slightly changed my perspective on this; If UND can schedule evening games that do not conflict with hockey, they should!!