SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's simple until you take the OL into account. If they get on the LBs it's a nightmare.

Not if the DL makes plays.  There were times the Cal Poly oline was too quick to try and get second level and the d line made plays.  Watch the tape and some of Tank and Greely's plays were made with them being untouched and in standard fronts. 

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Not if the DL makes plays.  There were times the Cal Poly oline was too quick to try and get second level and the d line made plays.  Watch the tape and some of Tank and Greely's plays were made with them being untouched and in standard fronts. 

Random guy and I thought there pulling guard was early to move consistently after the 1st quarter, but never to any call, so we might have been imagining things.

It was great to see how UND handled the option style of offense.  That qb was frustrated all day by the OLB's.  They may not have made all of the tackles and interceptions...but their discipline out in the flat took away the pitches and throws that the qb was wanting to make.  When the OLB's play like that, ends and safety are going to have fun.

Lord knows that if that OLB misreads a play or gets out of position, that will make for a 10 yard gain every time.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

After watching a replay of the Cal Poly vs S Dak St game, I feel 100% confident saying Protheroe would have made no difference against UND. He doesn't do anything special, he's just a symptom of the Cal Poly offense. Jacks were destroyed by the pitch (mostly Garcia) and their D line got worked. 

Santiago would've had a much larger impact on this game than Protheroe.

Nope. Prothero was the nations leading rusher because he was the nations best rusher. Obviously. 

Tank should probably get the game ball for the Poly game.  Since we were forcing their hand to run the dive, it was crucial that he be a force in the middle...which he was that game.  They are use to getting 3-5 yards most every time they run it against others, not the 1-2 yards, and zero sometimes against us.  Great game Tank, and great game overall by the defensive front. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

After watching a replay of the Cal Poly vs S Dak St game, I feel 100% confident saying Protheroe would have made no difference against UND. He doesn't do anything special, he's just a symptom of the Cal Poly offense. Jacks were destroyed by the pitch (mostly Garcia) and their D line got worked. 

I 100% agree and said the same thing prior to the UND-Poly game.  SDSU was awful on the perimeter with technique, assignment and pursuit angle.  Specifically their corners just sat there and stayed blocked and didn't restrict the alley at all. 

Terrible D against the option that day by SDSU.  They are better than that.

4 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I 100% agree and said the same thing prior to the UND-Poly game.  SDSU was awful on the perimeter with technique, assignment and pursuit angle.  Specifically their corners just sat there and stayed blocked and didn't restrict the alley at all. 

Terrible D against the option that day by SDSU.  They are better than that.

Hey.  don't you know MVFC plays defense not the Big Fluff.  ;)

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Protheroe is a difference maker, but him playing against UND could of actually been bad for Cal Poly. UND knows how to defend the option and I think would have given up a few more yards rushing if Protheroe had played.  Instead of 200 they might have given up 250.  If that had happened the coaches probably waited to throw even longer which would not have been a good thing for Cal Poly. The only way Cal Poly moved the ball consistently on UND was through the air. The Fullback dive was not going to beat UND. Dano Graves throwing more might of. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SloStang said:

Just looked at your remaining schedule. The only team left that can beat UND is UND which I do not think will happen. That Big Sky Championship trophy is going to look good next to the DII National Champions trophy. I am impressed with the program UND has built and is continuing to build.  Best luck the rest of the season and maybe we will see you again in December. 

Easy for you to say. I'm still cautious. I just hope we can score a point in the first quarter.

49 minutes ago, SloStang said:

Just looked at your remaining schedule. The only team left that can beat UND is UND which I do not think will happen. That Big Sky Championship trophy is going to look good next to the DII National Champions trophy. I am impressed with the program UND has built and is continuing to build.  Best luck the rest of the season and maybe we will see you again in December. 

We should be favored in a lot of games but the team has to prove they are mature enough to handle the pressure IF they keep winning.  Also we are not deep enough to handle any more injuries at some positions.  

Plus you can look back at games 1-4 to see a pretty anemic offense.  We still need to prove last week was expectation on offense and not a fluke.  

Thank you for the compliment though and we would love to see C-P again in December. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SloStang said:

Hope so, and thank you.