SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I will say, though, that I had a dream 2 nights ago that Coe opened up a huge hole at RT and Santiago took it to the house.  So basically it's gonna happen for sure.

It sure would be nice to get one of those....finally.  We've had to fight and claw for almost every offensive point we've gotten this year, well I guess Brady did have that long run last year.  Still it sure would be nice to see Santiago take a long one to the house, here's to premonitions!! 

1 hour ago, RD17 said:

It's not doubt on my part. I just think Cal Poly is a little bit better and I don't think the match up is that good for UND this year. UND has been too susceptible to the big pass plays which is something Cal Poly feasts on. Also, teams have been able to throw the ball on Cal Poly and the Mustangs have been poor at getting pressure on the QB. But as we all know, throwing the football isn't UND's strength and I'm not sure UND can make them pay through the air.

Do you know the history of our 3-4 defense and why we implemented it and have ran since the 80's?  Save your breath, it was to stop the triple option.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RD17 said:

It's not doubt on my part. I just think Cal Poly is a little bit better and I don't think the match up is that good for UND this year. UND has been too susceptible to the big pass plays which is something Cal Poly feasts on. Also, teams have been able to throw the ball on Cal Poly and the Mustangs have been poor at getting pressure on the QB. But as we all know, throwing the football isn't UND's strength and I'm not sure UND can make them pay through the air.

You may be right. This is the kind of the game UND *has* to win if they want to take the next step as a program, though. What is that step? It's being a program that is annually recognized as a playoff contender, which is huge come playoff selection time. It also will go a long way towards building up UND's home crowd and regular attendance. UND needs to win games like this, and given this year's "leave no doubt" mantra, I am optimistic Bubba will have his team ready to take this one. 

With that, though, you may be right and UND drops this one in disappointing fashion. No one knows. I'm excited for the ball game tomorrow. Everyone show up as you're able and support the boys in green (or in this case, grey). 

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2016 at 6:21 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Football is the most popular sport in America, which includes North Dakota. Grand Forks is a bit of a hockey niche, with hockey being a type of cultural favorite, but even so, UND football can draw a ton of fans if it wins consistently. How? Because it is football -- that simple; most popular sport overall. NDSU football has exploded in popularity because it has done "big time" things that the football fans of this region and state have always been primed to support. UND can join those ranks, too. From strictly a UND supporter standpoint, football can consistently draw large crowds if the product on the field is consistently winning. UND fans, alumni, and students would love to be associated with a top 10 FCS football program that gets positive publicity on a regular basis. 

I spent 4 years in the band at the end of the D2 era, the AL was loud the parking lot was full.  winning and being consistent will bring the people back.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Do you know the history of our 3-4 defense and why we implemented it and have ran since the 80's?  Save your breath, it was to stop the triple option.  

I've been around for awhile and I'm pretty well versed in UND football history.;)

Even though the scheme is good, you still have to have the talent. Example: in 2001 UND completely dominated Pitt State's veer in the playoffs, winning 38-0. In 2004 UND got run over by the veer in a semifinal game against Pitt State because PSU had better players. 

I know Schmidt knows what he is doing and UND has a decent defense. But with the way Cal Poly can throw the ball this year they are extremely dangerous and explosive. Even if UND does a decent job against the run (and I think they will), the problems giving up the big play in the passing game are troublesome against an offense like Cal Poly's.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You may be right. This is the kind of the game UND *has* to win if they want to take the next step as a program, though. What is that step? It's being a program that is annually recognized as a playoff contender, which is huge come playoff selection time. It also will go a long way towards building up UND's home crowd and regular attendance. UND needs to win games like this, and given this year's "leave no doubt" mantra, I am optimistic Bubba will have his team ready to take this one. 

With that, though, you may be right and UND drops this one in disappointing fashion. No one knows. I'm excited for the ball game tomorrow. Everyone show up as you're able and support the boys in green (or in this case, grey). 

I agree that UND needs to win games like this but I think that's coming in 2017. When you look at the roster, UND will have it's best team of the D-I era next year and I frankly think anything less than 8-9 wins and a Big Sky title will be a disappointment. The playoffs are still a possibility in 2016 because of the schedule but I honestly feel UND is just an above average FCS team this year.

I think the way we've played so far offensively, we've only been an above average FCS team as well. .  I don't know if our offense will ever get rolling like it did the last three games last year, but I do think there is room for improvement that can be made yet this year offensively to make us a playoff caliber team.  Hopefully a big step towards that is taken tomorrow, we'll see.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RD17 said:

I agree that UND needs to win games like this but I think that's coming in 2017. When you look at the roster, UND will have it's best team of the D-I era next year and I frankly think anything less than 8-9 wins and a Big Sky title will be a disappointment. The playoffs are still a possibility in 2016 because of the schedule but I honestly feel UND is just an above average FCS team this year.

And last year, it was wait until 2016. Eventually, it's just time to step up. No more rain checks. UND has the potential to improve DURING the season given the amount of discipline mistakes they've made - those have potential to be quickly correctable. Also, hard to dismiss THIS SEASON when UND's conference schedule is so damn easy in terms of opponents' winning % and home field advantage (no Montana in Missoula). 

• Upvote 4

On September 30, 2016 at 4:32 PM, RD17 said:

Keaton Studsrud did fine throwing the ball against Cal Poly today. It was nice to see. 

Nice all-around team win for UND. UND should be top 25 ranked now. Need to keep the momentum going despite the injuries. 

11 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I see on the Poly message board they blamed a majority of the loss on the reffing.  Seriously.  They got manhandled on both sides of the ball most the game. That is why they lost.

I saw that as well.  also no mention of UND out rushing them.  albeit by 1 yard.  :0

46 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I see on the Poly message board they blamed a majority of the loss on the reffing.  Seriously.  They got manhandled on both sides of the ball most the game. That is why they lost.

It's a hard pill to swallow when und does well.  Most people are shocked when und wins.   I guess by their standards und got lucky 7 times last year and 3 teams this year so far.   Hopefully we get lucky 9 times this year!  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com/topic/5849/Cal-Poly-v-UND-Report-Card?page=2#.V_ccwrQ0Pdk

A Cal Poly has a great break down of film on how UND contained their option and forced the FB dive in this link.

Cool to see it broken out like that.  Seems wierd that it's like they didn't even try blocking the OLB on those plays, so all the OLB has to do is step up a few feet and wait, not bite on the dive, and he would always be in position to take the QB if he kept the ball....and then the safety the pitch man.  That defender at the end of the line that's off the line of scrimmage just goes straight up field for the block on to ILB.  If he does that, and our OLB just stays home...they do have to hand it off to the FB.  

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Cool to see it broken out like that.  Seems wierd that it's like they didn't even try blocking the OLB on those plays, so all the OLB has to do is step up a few feet and wait, not bite on the dive, and he would always be in position to take the QB if he kept the ball....and then the safety the pitch man.  That defender at the end of the line that's off the line of scrimmage just goes straight up field for the block on to ILB.  If he does that, and our OLB just stays home...they do have to hand it off to the FB.  

It's simple until you take the OL into account. If they get on the LBs it's a nightmare.