Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

A few thought for Cal-Poly.

What is with this team and Montana?

-2014: Win over the Grizz 41-21

-2015: Win over the Grizz 20-19

-2016: Win over the Grizz 42-41

That’s a pretty impressive run, over a pretty impressive program

Road games (I’ll take a little home field advantage, Alerus needs to be LOUD and cause a few penalties) :

2013: Home (3-3) Away (3-3)

2014: Home (4-1) Away (3-4)

2015: Home (2-3) Away (2-4)

2016: Home (2-0) Away (1-1)

Vs. SDSU

Passing: 9-11 for 161 Yards

Rushing: 59 for 440 Yards

1 fumble, 1 lost

1 interception

TOP: 35:43

Vs. Montana

Passing: 6-10 for 157 Yards

Rushing: 54 for 274 Yards

3 fumbles, 1 lost

1 interception

TOP: 30:16

There has been some chatter about how much better this team is at passing than last year, which is probably true, but they still aren’t chucking the pigskin like they are Montana. Our corners and safeties are playing much better this year, and should be fine. This team’s offense is still built heavily around the run. If you stop the run, you can limit their scoring. I also see this an opportunity for some major turnovers. Our defense has been tremendous in winning the turnover battle this year, and against a team like Poly, they need to continue that. UND is +7 in turnovers, while Poly is +1; advantage UND!

UND will need to find some success through the air, with a more balanced gameplan. Cal-Poly is actually the top team in the Big Sky right now in Rush defense, just ahead of UND. I’m not saying we can’t change that, but a few early completions for 8-10 yards, might loosen up the defense a bit. I think the first drive is critical. Sustain the first drive of the game for some points, and maybe we can find our groove a little earlier than normal.

Cal Poly is converting their 3rd downs at 51.8% (29 of 56). Keeping them in 3rd and long situations will be critical, otherwise the defense will be worn out by halftime.

Neither team has fared too well with penalties this season, so UND needs to play disciplined and let the crowd prompt some false starts for Poly.

No surprise these teams are the top 2 teams in terms of TOP in the Big Sky, so this game will be heavily based on sustaining drives and controlling the clock.

27 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

A few thought for Cal-Poly.

What is with this team and Montana?

-2014: Win over the Grizz 41-21

-2015: Win over the Grizz 20-19

-2016: Win over the Grizz 42-41

That’s a pretty impressive run, over a pretty impressive program

Road games (I’ll take a little home field advantage, Alerus needs to be LOUD and cause a few penalties) :

2013: Home (3-3) Away (3-3)

2014: Home (4-1) Away (3-4)

2015: Home (2-3) Away (2-4)

2016: Home (2-0) Away (1-1)

Vs. SDSU

Passing: 9-11 for 161 Yards

Rushing: 59 for 440 Yards

1 fumble, 1 lost

1 interception

TOP: 35:43

Vs. Montana

Passing: 6-10 for 157 Yards

Rushing: 54 for 274 Yards

3 fumbles, 1 lost

1 interception

TOP: 30:16

There has been some chatter about how much better this team is at passing than last year, which is probably true, but they still aren’t chucking the pigskin like they are Montana. Our corners and safeties are playing much better this year, and should be fine. This team’s offense is still built heavily around the run. If you stop the run, you can limit their scoring. I also see this an opportunity for some major turnovers. Our defense has been tremendous in winning the turnover battle this year, and against a team like Poly, they need to continue that. UND is +7 in turnovers, while Poly is +1; advantage UND!

UND will need to find some success through the air, with a more balanced gameplan. Cal-Poly is actually the top team in the Big Sky right now in Rush defense, just ahead of UND. I’m not saying we can’t change that, but a few early completions for 8-10 yards, might loosen up the defense a bit. I think the first drive is critical. Sustain the first drive of the game for some points, and maybe we can find our groove a little earlier than normal.

Cal Poly is converting their 3rd downs at 51.8% (29 of 56). Keeping them in 3rd and long situations will be critical, otherwise the defense will be worn out by halftime.

Neither team has fared too well with penalties this season, so UND needs to play disciplined and let the crowd prompt some false starts for Poly.

No surprise these teams are the top 2 teams in terms of TOP in the Big Sky, so this game will be heavily based on sustaining drives and controlling the clock.

I think Poly's rush defense statistics are inflated due to playing games against SDSU and Montana.  Both are pass first teams who are more effective moving the ball that way.  

Teams (Nevada and San Diego) that have tried to establish a running game have averaged near 5 ypc against them.  

#1 Need to reduce penalties.  Penalties are part of the game BUT penalties kill momentum and obviously put us in bad field position.  Penalties that bother me the most are the stupid ones (personal fouls).  Also it is equally frustrating when the officials can't get the penalty calls right. 

#2 Need to be assignment sharp in ALL areas of the game (offense, defense and special teams). 

Glad this game is at home!

4 minutes ago, homer said:

I think Poly's rush defense statistics are inflated due to playing games against SDSU and Montana.  Both are pass first teams who are more effective moving the ball that way.  

Teams (Nevada and San Diego) that have tried to establish a running game have averaged near 5 ypc against them.  

Agreed, I was going to mention that about Montana, but honestly don't know enough about SDSU. I just haven't really watched them play.

Hope that is the case, and hope we can establish the run. Regardless, we still need to find some sort of passing game. If Keaton could throw for around 200 with a TD and no INTs, I'd call that a big win. Especially if dispersed throughout the game, and not bunched into the last quarter and a half. I know Studs has taken a lot of heat for his play, and some of it is warranted, but by no means is he the sole reason for UNDs offensive struggles. It all starts at the line, and once they start finding the right combination and gelling a bit, this offense will start producing more.

1 minute ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Be interesting to see the injury situation when the two-deep comes out tomorrow.  Haven't heard anything, other than I think Cox got hurt on Sat.

If that is all, that would be great! Also, the announces had mentioned that Seibel could be back next week. Not sure how accurate that was, but it must mean he is, as least, close. Definitely would be nice to have him back on the field.

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I was going to mention that about Montana, but honestly don't know enough about SDSU. I just haven't really watched them play.

Hope that is the case, and hope we can establish the run. Regardless, we still need to find some sort of passing game. If Keaton could throw for around 200 with a TD and no INTs, I'd call that a big win. Especially if dispersed throughout the game, and not bunched into the last quarter and a half. I know Studs has taken a lot of heat for his play, and some of it is warranted, but by no means is he the sole reason for UNDs offensive struggles. It all starts at the line, and once they start finding the right combination and gelling a bit, this offense will start producing more.

Studsrud needs to play the game he did in Bozeman and we need to eliminate the penalties and make field goals   

Im going to assume the obvious PI calls that should have been called in Bozeman get called this week.  Those were brutal and don't understand how an official misses three calls when a DB is hanging on a receivers arm. 

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Poly is ranked #16 in the STATS poll. We remain on the outside looking in.  We had 41 points last week, this week we have 40..... makes sense that we would slide back after a win on the road.

Damn, and we already took care of our quality loss too. Beat Poly and we will be sitting nicely though. Or using their current logic, we may fall completely out of consideration.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Poly is ranked #16 in the STATS poll. We remain on the outside looking in.  We had 41 points last week, this week we have 40..... makes sense that we would slide back after a win on the road.

Well at least the poll moved the bobcats up from 9 votes to 12 votes.  ;)

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

This is a big game, if UND was looking to re-make a statement for this season.. here it is. 

Possibly our toughest game out of the month of October... and it is at home.

Get to 3-2, 2-0 in conference and let the hype rebuild again.

agreed, winning this game, would almost erase the 0-2 start. Given that last week was certainly not a guaranteed win, being a tough road game, and Poly has been very successful early on the year. I would be very happy with where were are heading into the Sac St game, if we can gut out a win this weekend. I'd really love it if they could win without giving me a heart attack at the end of the game too.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Have to beat ranked teams. UND has that opportunity on Saturday. If UND wants to compete for conference championships and make the playoffs, these are the type of games UND needs to win.

Get it done Hawks 

I'd really like is to win the coin toss this week so we can defer.  That way they could start with the ball and if we can get them to go 3 and out, they punt, we get the ball around our 40 yard line or so.  We have lost the last two coin tosses (and maybe the first two games I can't remember) and after receiving the ball we've started our first drive only around the 20.  And since our offense has such a slow start....we go three and out...then we are punting to them giving it to them at mid field.  Hoping we can do the opposite this week.  The usual obvious benefit of deferring is getting the ball to start the second half, but in our case with our slow offensive starts it seems to also have a bigger detriment than normal when we get the ball first as I think we've gone 3 and out our first series every time, or close to it.  

That said, against Poly if we do kick to them to start the game, I would not be surprised if they get a couple of first downs that first series as we work to try and figure out how to stop their rushing attack.  

38 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Is it basically a foregone conclusion that we will be talking about quality losses until this team makes the playoffs? or will that joke stick around for a few years anyway?

The Quality Loss is an instant classic.  I doubt it ever dies with the characters around here.

• Upvote 2