SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal Poly vs UND

Nodak78

Cal Poly has been a scoring machine.  Yesterday beat Montana in Cali.   Poly scored 3 rushing and passing TD's each.  10 pass attempts, 6 completions and 3 TD's.

Check the boxscore from yesterday.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fcs/2016/09/24/montana-cal-poly/boxscore

This will be one tough game.  the last two games we found a way to win.  we may have to do it again.  tough match up.

Both teams are very different compared to the two teams that played last year.  The game last year is when Unds offense was at full strength and hitting on all cylinders!  Cal poly now has a qb that is a good passer to go along with his legs plus a revamped 3-4 d with an all American LB.  

Usually going against run heavy teams und is fine but this game worries me.  Und has almost given up three 100 rushers in the last two weeks.  As much as I like the d line, the push isn't what it was like the first two games.....and we NEED that against cal poly.  The LBs need to assignment sharp and first contact tackling is crucial.  This is going to be very hard fought game and the first one that I initially have a bad feeling about.  Of course I have stated my displeasure about the offense and it's pretty apparent the play calling will not change. So we will constantly have to depend on the d win every game.  

Glad it is at home

Poly is the best team we will play this year. Last year they were very talented but a mess. This year things seem to be clicking for them. Their QB is nowhere near the runner of last years guy but he is about 10x the passer. He looked pretty good against SDSU. This will be a dog fight. Just like last year we need to limit them on first down and force them to pass the ball in obvious situations. Jawon and Cole will have huge numbers. Poly is one of my favorite opponents and I am very pumped for this game. This would be a nice resume builder. 

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Poly should be ranked. We should be at least nearly ranked. Itd be nice to have a ranked conference matchup at home.

Poly beat 2 ranked opponents the last 2 weeks.  SDSU #11 and #6 Montana.  they should at least rise to top 15.  we still won't be ranked.  we need to beat Poly.  this would be a big win.

This game is huge for a few reasons.

#1 - conference title race. if UND wins they will be in the early drivers seat with the remaining schedule IMO.

#2 - playoff implications. With UND beating USD and Poly beating SDSU at home if we win it could be huge come playoff time if we are say 7-4 vs a MVFC 7-4 team. We don't play Montana but Poly beat Montana and Montana beat UNI. If we win and are 7-4 vs a SDSU or UNI 7-4 I think that would give us an edge based on common opponents and the fact the Big Sky beat the MVFC in head to head games this year. Hopefully we are 9-2 or 8-3 and we don't have to worry but this game could be big for that if we are 7-4.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Cal Poly has been a scoring machine.  Yesterday beat Montana in Cali.   Poly scored 3 rushing and passing TD's each.  10 pass attempts, 6 completions and 3 TD's.

Check the boxscore from yesterday.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fcs/2016/09/24/montana-cal-poly/boxscore

This will be one tough game.  the last two games we found a way to win.  we may have to do it again.  tough match up.

Strength (UND's run D)  against strength (Cal Poly's rushing attack). These are the kind of teams you need to beat if you want to be a champion (conference, national, etc.). 

Tough matchup, but I expect Bubba to coach them up and get it done. Have to win the few home games you get, cause road games can be brutal. 

Big game on Saturday -- get to the Alerus and be loud!

Go Fighting Hawks!

44 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Poly beat 2 ranked opponents the last 2 weeks.  SDSU #11 and #6 Montana.  they should at least rise to top 15.  we still won't be ranked.  we need to beat Poly.  this would be a big win.

Winning this game would allow UND to be ranked and in playoff position (with many games left). Thinking outside of the Bubba Box and actually winning by a bit of a healthy margin would help our rankings even more. Get it done, boys. 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Winning this game would allow UND to be ranked and in playoff position (with many games left). Thinking outside of the Bubba Box and actually winning by a bit of a healthy margin would help our rankings even more. Get it done, boys. 

I'm not sure healthy margins are a thing for us this year.

• Upvote 2

Und is 2-0 in the last two games, albeit by the narrowest of margins, I hope the winning sends a contagious vibe throughout that team. Being 0-4 or 1-3 would have been devastating both morally and for playoff implications.  Currently stand at  2-2 (1-0 big sky) with a conf road victory in front of 19000+  Ride the momentum.  

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

But they were last season? 45-14 vs No. Colorado; 45-21 vs Cal Poly. Didn't know regression was the objective this season. Expectations need to be higher than this.

My expectation was that Clive wouldn't break his leg in half in our first game. Offensive expectations needed to be adjusted after that. Until our OL shows they can open holes this offense will not score a ton of points. It would also help if our kicker would make his kicks and we didn't have 100+ yards of penalties.

Just looking at our schedule we have some really nice home games this year. Poly this next game. Going to be ranked. Pretty familiar opponent. Really good team. SUU next. Last years Big Sky champ and a playoff team. Familiar opponent from the Great West days. Weber St. Revenge game from last year. Solid team. NAU. Preseason Big Sky favorite. That's 4 very attractive games in a row. Hopefully attendance reflects that.

• Upvote 4

Definitely looking forward to this game. We so close to being 4-0 or 0-4, so 2-2 sounds about right. Realistic pre-season expectation at this point was probably 3-1 (maybe even 2-2 with a loss to Mt St on the road). I do think that beating Mt St on the road is a pretty big win.

I am tired of trying to predict that this will be the week our offense starts to figure things out. We knew that this wasn't going to be a typical Big Sky, high pass, offense. So I'm not overly disappointed with our pass game. There have been some nice flashes, though they NEED to utilize the TEs more. We also know our O line is not as strong as last season, but was is driving me crazy is how poor the run blocking has been overall. I just hope they can figure it out.

Trying to remember to last season, our offense didn't really click until the end of the season, so maybe we just need to keep grinding out a few games. I'll take ugly wins over ugly losses.

I know Cal-Poly's QB is better at passing than last year, but our secondary has also improved. Our defense needs to focus on stopping their run game, and causing their triple option to fumble. This could be a game of field position, so I  hope Dussold is ready to hit some punts, and Taubs is ready to hit some kicks, glad wind won't be a factor.

Definitely glad this game is at home.

31-24 UND

Please please please, find some offense.

I think 31-24 - 55 total points is the lowest total I would expect. We are a little more porous on D than last year and they are a little better on O. We might be able to balance their improved passing ability w/our improved secondary.

I think they will get their points, so we will have to get ours.

Are we more porous? The stats seem to indicate yardage is about the same and turnovers are way better this year. I think not having Ratelle make a few spectacular plays a game makes the defense seem worse but in reality I feel better about this unit because we can defend the pass so much better.

TEAM STATISTICS  UND  OPP 
SCORING  99  99 
   Points Per Game  24.8  24.8 
   Points Off Turnovers  37  20 
FIRST DOWNS  65  75 
   Rushing  30  28 
   Passing  31  40 
   Penalty 
RUSHING YARDAGE  671  455 
   Yards gained rushing  801  556 
   Yards lost rushing  130  101 
   Rushing Attempts  167  153