SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Divorced 15 years ago. Remarried 10 years ago. Do I miss some things about my first wife. Hell yes. Do I dwell on it. No. Because its over and I have a new person to be concerned with. Some posters on here refuse to admit reality. Hey, we got screwed. S*&^ happens. NCAA rules. Their ball. To sit and dwell on and denigrate everything that has anything to do with the new mascot, logo, swag, etc. has very little to do with how it looks but the attitude of the viewer.

The new logo could have been a naked Pamela Anderson from back in the day and you'd still bitch. 

Find a way to move forward. It ain't coming back. You don't have to love it, but its some of you are just simply unrealistic about the new anything. "They only wear it because there's nothing else." "They hate it, so they wear it ironically." NOOOOOO. Most have realized we're 7 years removed from a decision that was 40+ years in the making. Don't have to like it...but at least try to accept reality. Maybe you'll be happier...not sure with some of you.

And if that doesn't work, grab Thelma and scoot off the cliff. For Christ's sake make an adjustment to the new reality. 121 pages of this s&^* is enough.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You struggling with reading comprehension today? The point was clear. He doesn't like it, but it is what it is and he feels like that sentiment is becoming the consensus.

5 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

What you just said makes absolutely no sense.  Next time, have a point. 

It's like when you were a kid and the other kids went to school and were wearing Levi's and Hash jeans and rocking Izod or Ralph Lauren polo shirts and you show up in your Sears brand Toughskins or corduroys and your velour shirt your mom bought because a blue light was flashing at K-mart.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've said this so many times, telling people what to do simply won't work. Nearly all of those who don't like the logo don't have any illusion that the Sioux logo is coming back. They just don't like the logo. Telling someone to "grasp reality and move on" is such a waste of breath. 

I get the part of, "Telling people how to feel..." Not my intention,  but can understand how I am coming off that way. I still don't  believe anything would  have been an acceptable replacement for those hell-bent on tearing down anything associated with the new mascot or logo. Ok, then what is  the alternative to our reality? Swear at the moon, gnash your teeth,  and lash out at any replacement til the day you die. Doesn't seem to me a more reasonable approach.  I will accept the present and hopefully enjoy a happier UND Athletics existence. 

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, und1995 said:

What would have been acceptable was to remain as North Dakota and last time take its course and eventually a new nickname adopted. Not to force a nickname no one wanted and a logo the majority of people do not like. 

Not ideal for marketing.  And additionally the controversy would have been discussed every time a broadcaster or writer would say, "North Dakota is the only NCAA school without a nickname...." Mistake by Kelly to run a "CONTEST ". That's for middle schools not universities.  Should have been undertaken as a University branding  initiative.  Make something positive out of all the negative surrounding the inconsistencies of the NCAA and all the bitterness that resulted. Instead,  we got a contest winner.  'Tis what 'tis. Still doesn't  justify the petulance of many which only serves to further divide. Our student-athletes don't  deserve the wrath of those who refuse to adapt. While we fight over mascots and logos, NDSU has moved ahead in the hearts of the region's fans. Yup, winning national championships helps, but so does a divided, petulant fan base. There will be apologists on here who rip me for saying this,  but I  live in the Fargo area.  They love our on-going mascot/logo fight. Hell, they'd pay to create even more division if they could.  So, just keep being the antagonists that you are. Hate the Hawk and all that it stands for. "Take my Fighting Sioux from my cold dead hands. " While the rest of the state flies its Bison flags.

37 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

I get the part of, "Telling people how to feel..." Not my intention,  but can understand how I am coming off that way. I still don't  believe anything would  have been an acceptable replacement for those hell-bent on tearing down anything associated with the new mascot or logo. Ok, then what is  the alternative to our reality? Swear at the moon, gnash your teeth,  and lash out at any replacement til the day you die. Doesn't seem to me a more reasonable approach.  I will accept the present and hopefully enjoy a happier UND Athletics existence. 

That's what I'm trying to get across... There is no alternate reality. Those who dislike the logo, nearly all of them, know the Sioux isn't coming back. They still don't like the logo. So, that drives the "well, it is what it is" sentiment. Again, demonizing those who dislike the logo as "out of touch with reality" isn't helpful. 

Want to help this process? Buy the logo, if you see fit and continue to support UND no matter what. Telling someone else how they should think is doing nothing but pissing people off.

• Upvote 1

Some people are destined to be perpetually pissed off. Nothing I say will make them more or less pissed off. That's just who they are.

I contend there is a fraction who would have "hated" any attempt to replace the Sioux mascot/ logo. Not all, not even a majority,  but a fraction.  And I  believe that fraction is often over-represented on siouxsports. It is often displayed here. No denying that.

There is very little rationale to their disdain.  "I hate it." Or mocking ridicule. Post Office. Burlington Northern.  To deny this disdain originates in the NCAA ruling, is ludicrous. 

Often in life, it isn't about what happens to you,  but how you react to it.  The reaction of many on this board does not indicate an ability or willingness to adapt. It's scary. Thank God it's just sports. 

11 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So the outcry to have secondary logo started probably 2 minutes after the logo was announced.  I was in the camp of not doing that immediately so that UND could work on it's brand identity and have just one logo.  A secondary logo is likely going to happen.  I propose they don't make something totally new but just tweak the current logo.  The Hawk head in the ND is a unique look and I think it works.  But maybe UND could utilize just the Hawk head with a green or black (even grey) background without the "ND" as a background.  I especially think this type of logo would look great on the football helmets as you could have the hawk on both sides of the helmet facing forward.  Just a thought.

helmets.jpg

have always been a fan of simply removing the "ND" from the logo, even used the hawk head only on some of the jersey designs I threw out in the jersey thread. this is a very good design, makes it look neat and concise. 

1 hour ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Some people are destined to be perpetually pissed off. Nothing I say will make them more or less pissed off. That's just who they are.

I contend there is a fraction who would have "hated" any attempt to replace the Sioux mascot/ logo. Not all, not even a majority,  but a fraction.  And I  believe that fraction is often over-represented on siouxsports. It is often displayed here. No denying that.

There is very little rationale to their disdain.  "I hate it." Or mocking ridicule. Post Office. Burlington Northern.  To deny this disdain originates in the NCAA ruling, is ludicrous. 

Often in life, it isn't about what happens to you,  but how you react to it.  The reaction of many on this board does not indicate an ability or willingness to adapt. It's scary. Thank God it's just sports. 

I'm a Sioux forever guy so I'll never accept the Hawk logo...I get it; it's the first thing picked after the best logo ever.  I would buy Moose apparel now; it seems like a good fit and wasn't jammed down our throats.  End of rant. ;)

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So the outcry to have secondary logo started probably 2 minutes after the logo was announced.  I was in the camp of not doing that immediately so that UND could work on it's brand identity and have just one logo.  A secondary logo is likely going to happen.  I propose they don't make something totally new but just tweak the current logo.  The Hawk head in the ND is a unique look and I think it works.  But maybe UND could utilize just the Hawk head with a green or black (even grey) background without the "ND" as a background.  I especially think this type of logo would look great on the football helmets as you could have the hawk on both sides of the helmet facing forward.  Just a thought.

helmets.jpg

I can see them making the Hawk mascot pic the secondary logo. It’s on t-shirts already so why not make it the secondary logo.mascot-header-hawk-z.jpg

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I'm a Sioux forever guy so I'll never accept the Hawk logo...I get it; it's the first thing picked after the best logo ever.  I would buy Moose apparel now; it seems like a good fit and wasn't jammed down our throats.  End of rant. ;)

Nothing personal.  But there's  my point. What you said represents what I was saying.  "Forever " and "never " are awfully long times. 

Not sure what the face is, but I  get your frustration 

"Rammed down our throats."  Very flawed replacement process,  but how in the hell was it rammed down anyone's throat. Anytime we don't like the change or the time frame for change, for whatever reason,  its "rammed down our throats. "

Anyway,  it's great that we respect and celebrate the past. Dacotah Legacy series encourages it and does it well. There will always be new Fighting Sioux gear thanks to the strange hypocrisy of the NCAA.

But at the same time,  I believe  its unproductive to hang onto too much of the "pain of the past." (Note I said "I believe.") My belief. I  live in the present,  because the pain(s) of the past, experienced collectively,  is too much.

That's a bit deep for a mascot/logo discussion,  but in many ways it applies to our situation. Fighting Sioux meant and means a lot to many of us. It meant and means so much to me. There was something more to it than a lion, a gopher, a hawk. Pride, honor,  resolve, courage. 

So, what do we do from here? Continue in-fighting while our friends in Fargo dominate marketing and fan support in our region?  (Nattys YES but its not the only reason. They have stepped into the vacuum created by our in-fighting.) Or, try to find some place of common ground, come together and fight. (Relatively speaking)

Some of you will continue to publicly ridicule and rant. What end does that accomplish?

Mock if you must, but I'd prefer the unified fight. Make Sports Fun Again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

What's scary about this? I'm so confused.

These people aren't buying the new logo, but are they attending games? Are they buying legacy gear? Are they buying other non-logoed gear?

Until something comes out saying UND is suffering in any way from the lack of logo support, all you're doing is demonizing those that dislike it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

So, what do we do from here? Continue in-fighting while our friends in Fargo dominate marketing and fan support in our region?  (Nattys YES but its not the only reason. They have stepped into the vacuum created by our in-fighting.) Or, try to find some place of common ground, come together and fight. (Relatively speaking)

"Stepped into the vacuum of our in-fighting" ... Is there any proof of this? Like, even a shred?

This feels so overblown. You're acting like it's the 60s and UND is segregated by logo. 

What I see... People don't like the logo, but are still supporting UND. 

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

"Stepped into the vacuum of our in-fighting" ... Is there any proof of this? Like, even a shred?

This feels so overblown. You're acting like it's the 60s and UND is segregated by logo. 

Not doing any of what you are saying. Disclosed the hyperbole (saying this is a logo, perspective) It's an analogy Clyde. How in the hell have I demonized anyone? Proof of NDSU dominating marketing? Look around fella. How you can't see that is beyond me. You can hate the logo. But when you use the logo to continually create division, that's something different. There's "omission," I HATE THE LOGO AND I WON'T BUY IT. Ok, fine. Then there's "commission." I HATE THE LOGO, I'M GOING TO TELL EVERYONE I KNOW I HATE THE LOGO, THEN I'M GOING TO MOCK EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOGO, MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. How does the latter help anything?

Here's overblown: some of you simply have to die. Then the rest of us can start rebuilding pride in our University's Athletic Dept. (I am, of course exaggerating and do not wish death upon anyone, particularly Sioux/Hawk fans) :) Last post. Can't push that rock uphill any longer. Best wishes.

43 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

A few of us keep having the same back and forth on here.  Sucks.

I have a challenge for you: 

1.  Purchase a Fighting Hawks shirt or hoodie. I'm not talking a little logo, but a very large prominent one that you can't miss. 

2.  Make sure you buy from the UND Bookstore or Sioux Shop, so the proceeds go to UND student athletes.

3.  Wear this piece of apparel to two separate UND hockey games,  preferably one at home, one on the road.

4.  Report back on how your fan interactions went.

5.  After this "experiment", you may keep the item, or donate it if you don't want it anymore.

If you have already done this, my apologies.  I am curious to see if you notice any differences.

15 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Not doing any of what you are saying. Disclosed the hyperbole (saying this is a logo, perspective) It's an analogy Clyde. How in the hell have I demonized anyone? Proof of NDSU dominating marketing? Look around fella. How you can't see that is beyond me. You can hate the logo. But when you use the logo to continually create division, that's something different. There's "omission," I HATE THE LOGO AND I WON'T BUY IT. Ok, fine. Then there's "commission." I HATE THE LOGO, I'M GOING TO TELL EVERYONE I KNOW I HATE THE LOGO, THEN I'M GOING TO MOCK EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOGO, MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. How does the latter help anything?

Here's overblown: some of you simply have to die. Then the rest of us can start rebuilding pride in our University's Athletic Dept. (I am, of course exaggerating and do not wish death upon anyone, particularly Sioux/Hawk fans) :) Last post. Can't push that rock uphill any longer. Best wishes.

Again, any proof? No, not dominating marketing... not really sure how to measure that... but, them "stepping into the vaccuum of our in-fighting". What is this even implying? Are they stealing UND fans? Again, I'd love some proof. 

You are absolutely demonizing this portion of the fanbase by implying and overtly stating that they are delusional. I 100% feel the "division" between the fanbase is incredibly small. We're all still supporting the programs.

Simply have to die? Goodness. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

A few of us keep having the same back and forth on here.  Sucks.

I have a challenge for you: 

1.  Purchase a Fighting Hawks shirt or hoodie. I'm not talking a little logo, but a very large prominent one that you can't miss. 

2.  Make sure you buy from the UND Bookstore or Sioux Shop, so the proceeds go to UND student athletes.

3.  Wear this piece of apparel to two separate UND hockey games,  preferably one at home, one on the road.

4.  Report back on how your fan interactions went.

5.  After this "experiment", you may keep the item, or donate it if you don't want it anymore.

If you have already done this, my apologies.  I am curious to see if you notice any differences.

Have done this. Noticed nothing. Have had friends do this. Noticed nothing. 

Am I saying this doesn't happen? No. I'm saying this "division" narrative between the fanbase is overblown.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Have done this. Noticed nothing. Have had friends do this. Noticed nothing. 

Am I saying this doesn't happen? No. I'm saying this "division" narrative between the fanbase is overblown.

That is encouraging.

I think, like most things these days, the hate is much more prominent on social media than in real life.

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

That is encouraging.

I think, like most things these days, the hate is much more prominent on social media than in real life.

THIS is my overall point outside of the "transition" will take time. This "fanbase division" is just basic whining. People are still supporting the teams and University.