SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

How is this even an option for a committee? These things are put together to make suggestions not do the AD and presidents job. There really shouldn't be any options left when these committees are put together. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, dmksioux said:
User Actions
  Follow
tAbVRDo-_bigger.jpgBrad E. Schlossman@SchlossmanGF

Committee members, led by Eric Murphy and Thomasine Heitkamp, now proposing to find a way to keep all sports.

CvAC-kIUsAAer8p.jpg

This reminds me of the scene in "Dave" where Kevin Kline assembles the entire cabinet to trim the budget in order to save a homeless shelter to impress the First Lady.

I think I can read between the lines:)  This committee was assembled to cut down unds athletic's costs, which Kennedy has said will be done by lowering the amount of sports that und sponsors and making sure we have budget in the remaining sports to fund them to championship levels.  We will be cutting sports but we have to recommend cutting no sports because the sports we will eventually cut are required by our current conference, big sky. Once we move to the summit, those big sky required sports we added a few years ago will be cut.  What is up in the air is if more than those sports will be cut. 

Think of it this way if und choose to drop swimming and tennis, they do not want to drop swimming on November 1st and tennis on the day we get allowed in summit. That would involve und dropping sports on 3 different occasions in less than a year. They want to make the next round of cuts at the same time, and if they announce them when we join a new conference the media won't be so negative as we will have positive news (summit league, hopefully mvfc and reuniting with our old rivals) to offset the negative news.

The reason thes sports have to stay longer than november 1st is because we can't get into a new conference by november 1st. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I think I can read between the lines:)  This committee was assembled to cut down unds athletic's costs, which Kennedy has said will be done by lowering the amount of sports that und sponsors and making sure we have budget in the remaining sports to fund them to championship levels.  We will be cutting sports but we have to recommend cutting no sports because the sports we will eventually cut are required by our current conference, big sky. Once we move to the summit, those big sky required sports we added a few years ago will be cut.  What is up in the air is if more than those sports will be cut. 

Think of it this way if und choose to drop swimming and tennis, they do not want to drop swimming on November 1st and tennis on the day we get allowed in summit. That would involve und dropping sports on 3 different occasions in less than a year. They want to make the next round of cuts at the same time, and if they announce them when we join a new conference the media won't be so negative as we will have positive news (summit league, hopefully mvfc and reuniting with our old rivals) to offset the negative news.

The reason thes sports have to stay longer than november 1st is because we can't get into a new conference by november 1st. 

I don't follow?

1 minute ago, fightingsioux08 said:

Per brad s tweet, the committee is trying to figure out how to avoid cutting any sports

I stated that und will keep all sports past November 1st and then drop some athetlic programs when we are in the summit and don't have to follow the big sky s sports sponsorship rules  

I guess that makes sense if we were getting into the Summit, but is that really happening? If so is football staying in the Big Sky or getting into the MVFC? There's alot of if's in the future to drag things along. Maybe you know something I don't? If you do please share cause I'm really intrigued. 

So lets see:

Kennedy agrees with IAC:  Gets killed for putting athletes through an unnecessary ringer and we question why we went through this to do nothing

Kennedy cuts sports: Gets killed because he went on his own and didn't listen to committee and was a tyrant and dictator and wasn't transaparent.

Yup.  Can't Win.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The IAC's recommendation to the president will be to stay at 20 sports. So, it's up to Kennedy now. More coming soon.

So they arent going to be the scapegoat. Good for them.  Looks like Kennedy plus Faison are going to have to do the job they are paid for and not pass the buck.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bison73 said:

So they arent going to be the scapegoat. Good for them.  Looks like Kennedy plus Faison are going to have to do the job they are paid for and not pass the buck.

How's that ndsu 10% budget cut committee coming along? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The IAC publicly spoke out about not being included in the discussion when baseball and golf were cut. Kennedy gave them what they wanted this time and they pull this BS. By their own doing, they have have completely relegated themselves as a pointless. 

My gut feel is that there were some personal feelings getting in the way of some of the members on making a decision so they punted. Sports will be cut but now some of them think they will be able to sleep better at night taking the cowardly way out.

There are cuts that can be made regardless of what conference UND is in. I wouldn't feel good if I was currently one of those sports. 

Spot on.

You guys don't agree with me that und is waiting to figure out what conference they will be in long term before making cuts?  Their timetable of choosing what sports to sponsor then figuring out their conference is backwards. 

Why would und cut any sports knowing that there is a decent chance that they will leave the big sky and thus be able to drop the big sky core sports. 

Und wants to do the next round of cuts all at once, I'd they dropped sports now that would force them to cut sports a third time if we were in the summit 

I don't have any inside knowledge.  Even if there was a 25% chance that we could get in the summit, we can't figure out which sports to sponsor without knowing which sports we have to cut. 

Those sports we added when we joined the big sky should be the first cut as they haven't had any success, have no alumni that will donate to support them, don't have division 1 quality facilities.  I would assume if we can drop they will be cut regardless of how many sports we sponsor. 

So it makes sense that we don't drop ANY sports until we drop the big sky core sports so we only do cuts one more time (and like I said we can offset the negative press by saying that cutting those sports allows us to play the other 3 dakota schools every year so it was a necessary loss)

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

You guys don't agree with me that und is waiting to figure out what conference they will be in long term before making cuts?  Their timetable of choosing what sports to sponsor then figuring out their conference is backwards. 

Why would und cut any sports knowing that there is a decent chance that they will leave the big sky and thus be able to drop the big sky core sports. 

Und wants to do the next round of cuts all at once, I'd they dropped sports now that would force them to cut sports a third time if we were in the summit 

There's no way a committee this large and evidently incompetent could keep the info you're implying a secret from the public. 

• Upvote 2