SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

20 minutes ago, supersioux said:

So are you prediciting championship programs across the board?  In what year 2017, 2018?  Women's hockey has been funded at a championship level...how's that working?

Again I'm all for funding teams at a level they can compete...I just believe it can be done without cutting sports.  I would argue that with FCOA, UND is funded better than most...shouldn't that result in championships?

It would be hard to convince me FCOA hasn't impacted recruiting for the positive. That said, it's only been offered for 1 year of signing periods.  

I would say this year we have an opportunity to win a few conference championships which would be a good first step. (FB, VB, MBB, WBB)

1 hour ago, homer said:

It would be hard to convince me FCOA hasn't impacted recruiting for the positive. That said, it's only been offered for 1 year of signing periods.  

I would say this year we have an opportunity to win a few conference championships which would be a good first step. (FB, VB, MBB, WBB)

I thought there was a plan for sustained FCOA funding?

So, this may sound like a dumb question, but what's the deal w/ the $300 million they raised a couple years ago?  Is it an Alumni Association thing?  And isn't it sitting somewhere making a ton of interest?  If so, isn't 1.4 million a pittance in the whole scheme of that and can't someone say, "Hey, we'll help you out?" for a couple years?  Ok, that was more than one dumb question.  ;) 

10 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

So, this may sound like a dumb question, but what's the deal w/ the $300 million they raised a couple years ago?  Is it an Alumni Association thing?  And isn't it sitting somewhere making a ton of interest?  If so, isn't 1.4 million a pittance in the whole scheme of that and can't someone say, "Hey, we'll help you out?" for a couple years?  Ok, that was more than one dumb question.  ;) 

A significant portion of that is pledged but not in-hand yet. (See: my will. ;)

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A significant portion of that is pledged but not in-hand yet. (See: my will. ;)

And most of it is designated for existing scholarships or departments.  General athletic funds aren't something the Foundation can give much to.  Their hands are tied.

2 hours ago, supersioux said:

So are you prediciting championship programs across the board?  In what year 2017, 2018?  Women's hockey has been funded at a championship level...how's that working?

Again I'm all for funding teams at a level they can compete...I just believe it can be done without cutting sports.  I would argue that with FCOA, UND is funded better than most...shouldn't that result in championships?

I don't know where in my post I said that cutting sports would guarantee championships? I said it could bring more resources to the remaining sports which would help them be more competitive. You stated in your original post that you would not cut sports but would look for other ways to save money like no FCOA or freeze salaries. That is where we definitely do not think a like. Cutting or freezing salaries will not save you money it will cost you money. The job of administration is to identify those employees that are doing a great job and pay them as such to keep them on your team. That does not mean if you pay someone more they will be better at their job (Men's bball). It means when you identify good coaches (football) you do everything you can to keep them on. Best money you will ever spend is on good employees. Just ask Alabama if they think they pay Nick Saban too much..

• Upvote 4

After the Athletic Department's annual income from sports, take the cost (let's say one year prorated out of the life of a facility) of constructing sports buildings (minus the donations received to help build them); and costs of: facilities maintenance and preventive maintenance, rent in some cases, scholarships and FCOA (less donations), modernization, utilities, insurance, police protection, support staff, parking, equipment, uniforms, and on and on, add in athletic department offices and personal, coaches and support staff, and whatever else there could be, is it even possible to break even in a year? Are there other donations involved?

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

After the Athletic Department's annual income from sports, take the cost (let's say one year prorated out of the life of a facility) of constructing sports buildings (minus the donations received to help build them); and costs of: facilities maintenance and preventive maintenance, rent in some cases, scholarships and FCOA (less donations), modernization, utilities, insurance, police protection, support staff, parking, equipment, uniforms, and on and on, add in athletic department offices and personal, coaches and support staff, and whatever else there could be, is it even possible to break even in a year? Are there other donations involved?

at the betty i bet that adds up to close to a MILLION dollars a year...i swear there is 1 officer for every 5 fans at the betty!!! trim the fat

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at the betty i bet that adds up to close to a MILLION dollars a year...i swear there is 1 officer for every 5 fans at the betty!!! trim the fat

The Betty is afraid the old codgers will start a riot in the stands.  Most of the security aren't in shape to even climb stairs.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Betty is afraid the old codgers will start a riot in the stands.  Most of the security aren't in shape to even climb stairs.

They do a good job of preventing the football team from having fun.

• Upvote 1

so lets say whockey stays...whats to keep kennedy from swapping the budgets of whockey and vball?  instead of spending 1.5 million on hockey lets spend that on vball and then spend whatever we spend on vball on women's hockey?  plus give idalski's salary to pryor too...

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so lets say whockey stays...whats to keep kennedy from swapping the budgets of whockey and vball?  instead of spending 1.5 million on hockey lets spend that on vball and then spend whatever we spend on vball on women's hockey?  plus give idalski's salary to pryor too...

This is one of the best ideas I have heard!  What a novel concept!  Invest in a sport that is actually entertaining to watch and has the potential to draw fans.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Where did he say there isn't?

Well that would have had to be in the supposed grand plan of the athletic dept right. It doesnt look like they had a plan considering the issues they are facing.Unless the plan was to cut sports all along. If thats the case then why are they going through all of these meetings. Is it just for show and the pleas of these people are falling of deaf ears as the decisions have already been made?  Seriously--you have a President and an AD who are supposed to be professionals and are paid to make these decision and they are putting this to a committee?

IMO the bookkeeping shell game caught up with them. Then when FCOA came up they were only going to do for certain sports. But when NDSU went all in UND had to do the same and that caught them over extended with no plans how to make up the difference. Now its damage control in the name of cutting sports instead of lets find a way to increase funding.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, bison73 said:

IMO the bookkeeping shell game caught up with them. Then when FCOA came up they were only going to do for certain sports. But when NDSU went all in UND had to do the same and that caught them over extended with no plans how to make up the difference. Now its damage control in the name of cutting sports instead of lets find a way to increase funding.

What shell game? All expenses are accounted for within the athletic department, exactly where they should be. A shell game would have them running funds through other departments within UND. It can easily be argued that sport specific accounting needs improvement, but that has zero effect on the athletic budget. The cuts are related to state mandated cuts and a tuition cap that caused a prefixed deficit.

I'm confused where you get that they aren't trying to increase revenues? There are two sides to the budget equation, both are being worked on. Only one of them can have a direct, immediate impact and makes for good headlines. But keep spinning your vague conspiracy theories. The timelines of what had caused this, when and how it was handled have all been laid out multiple times. 

But since you seem to be an expert, are you finally going to actually spell something specific out instead of continuing to claim things that have zero relation to actual events are somehow tied together?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but applies more so here.

Maybe for us, WH offsets MH for Title IX and there's no real other easy way of doing that. With that concept, the rest of the sports would have to balance except for maybe taking into consideration some profit from hockey. That may be a good thing. Most U's don't have hockey and they make their athletic department work with the other sports. So how do we make that work with the other sports, isn't that what Pres. Kennedy is trying to do?

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

Well that would have had to be in the supposed grand plan of the athletic dept right. It doesnt look like they had a plan considering the issues they are facing.Unless the plan was to cut sports all along. If thats the case then why are they going through all of these meetings. Is it just for show and the pleas of these people are falling of deaf ears as the decisions have already been made?  Seriously--you have a President and an AD who are supposed to be professionals and are paid to make these decision and they are putting this to a committee?

So he didn't say it and you were simply spouting bull sh*t. Please link ndsu's athletics accounting docs for us to go through the next time you post. It would be funny to point out the transfers from housing and meal service. As for the process used to cut sports, good luck finding somebody here who supports Faison to argue with you. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What shell game? All expenses are accounted for, though not necessarily sport specific. In the game scheme if things, it would have little effect on this. The cuts are related to state mandated cuts and a tuition cap that caused a prefixed deficit. I'm confused where you get that they aren't trying to increase revenues? There are two sides to the budget equation, both are being worked on. Only one of them can have a direct, immediate impact and makes for good headlines. But keep spinning your vague conspiracy theories. The timelines of what had caused this, when and how it was handled have all been laid out multiple times. 

When "expenses" are "accounted for" but no accurate accounting methods are practiced to record the true reflection of "sports specific" budgets that IMO is the definition of a "shell game". Spin it how you want to fit your agenda.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

When "expenses" are "accounted for" but no accurate accounting methods are practiced to record the true reflection of "sports specific" budgets that IMO is the definition of a "she'll game".

Two different things. I have no disagreement that within the athletic department, they need to figure out how they are allocating certain expenses. However that is much different than the shell game that bison73 keeps trolling about yet giving no details on for the last how many months. How UND is accounting for things doesn't effect the athletic budget, just individual programs, which isn't the issue at hand. All expenses that should be attributed to the athletic department are within the athletic department (and I'd probably argue more so because of funds paid to the REA, though that should eventually shake out in the end). Now if UND was running athletic expenses through their dining or housing services and not properly allocating them to athletics, that would be an actual shell game that has an impact, but that isn't what is going on. At least in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So he didn't say it and you were simply spouting bull sh*t. Please link ndsu's athletics accounting docs for us to go through the next time you post. It would be funny to point out the transfers from housing and meal service. As for the process used to cut sports, good luck finding somebody here who supports Faison to argue with you. 

I would also argue that he would have a tough time finding more than a few on here who don't agree with cutting sports.  The argument is which sport should be cut.  

If our FU fan would like I was on the cut program bandwagon when FCOA was announced.  

If UND is hiding as much as he claims it will be made public.  The media in Grand Forks actually challenges the university and spends more time above the desk on campus than under it like the Fargo media. 

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

How UND is accounting for things doesn't effect the athletic budget, just individual programs, which isn't the issue at hand. All expenses that should be attributed to the athletic department are within the athletic department (and I'd probably argue more so because of funds paid to the REA, though that should eventually shake out in the end). Now if UND was running athletic expenses through their dining or housing services and not properly allocating them to athletics, that would be an actual shell game that has an impact, but that isn't what is going on. At least in Grand Forks.

It is the issue at hand when the university is trying to decide which programs it should cut IMO. To say the accounting methods are ok for the overall athletic budget but not true and complete for each program is a joke. Right now it's basically throwing crap on a wall and seeing what sticks.  IF this is a true financial issue due to a budget deficit within the athletic department but no one really knows the actual budgets of each sport and their P&L realities I find this whole scenario a joke.  Women's hockey is safe but it is easily the biggest suck hole in the athletic department but in actuality we really don't know the true extent of how many dollars are lost operating that program but let's look at softball to save a couple nickels.

• Upvote 1