SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

This message was sent via e-mail to the UND community several minutes ago. I have bolded some key passages:

Dear Campus Community:

I want to make you aware that UND Athletics ended FY16 with a shortfall of approximately $1.4 million. This is a disappointment to me, and I am taking steps to address it.

Effective immediately, the chief financial officer for Athletics will now report directly to the Associate Vice President for Finance. This tightening of fiscal controls will benefit Athletics as well as the University.

Last week I announced Laurie Betting, Interim Vice President for Student Affairs, and Dana Harsell, Chair of University Senate, as co-chairs of a University planning process. As a companion to that process, I am asking a subgroup of the elected Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC) to examine UND Athletics to make sure we have an athletics program that best fits the University of North Dakota in terms of a number of factors, including the sports we participate in, conference participation, the number of athletes that we serve, and the cost of the programs.  The IAC serves as an advisory committee to University Senate and my office, making recommendations on matters pertaining to institutional control of the athletics program; the academic and financial integrity of intercollegiate athletics; the academic and personal well-being of student-athletes; gender equity; non-discrimination and diversity; and the accountability of the athletics program to the values and mission of the University. 

This action is a continuation of a conversation started by Interim President Ed Schafer, who suggested that the University take a hard look at our athletics program with an eye to ensuring we have the right number and mix of Division I athletic programs. I want to conclude that process by the end of the calendar year.

I want to be clear: I am pro-Athletics. I am proud of our student-athletes, who are successful as athletes and who perform well in the classroom. They are also engaged in the community, contributing more than 9,500 hours of service in FY16.  But I also want to be clear that we need to make sure we have Athletics program that is the right fit for the University. I appreciate the committee helping us with this important task.

Mark Kennedy
President

Could this spell the end of swimming and diving? Are our teams going to have the resources needed to compete? Thoughts anyone?

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This message was sent via e-mail to the UND community several minutes ago. I have bolded some key passages:

Could this spell the end of swimming and diving? Are our teams going to have the resources needed to compete? Thoughts anyone?

Perhaps changing conferences? There is a lot that can be taken from this

But finally... in 300 Twamley Hall... there will be leadership. About <bleepin> time

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Perhaps changing conferences? There is a lot that can be taken from this

But finally... in 300 Twamley Hall... there will be leadership. About <bleepin> time

So UND is going to join the Summit/MVFC?  that's the only conference switch that would save UND money.  More programs will be cut.  Not sure how you can take anything else from this.    Softball and/or swimming and diving are most likely going to be cut.  

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So UND is going to join the Summit/MVFC?  that's the only conference switch that would save UND money.  More programs will be cut.  Not sure how you can take anything else from this.    Softball and/or swimming and diving are most likely going to be cut.  

no way a guy named kennedy aligns his school with oopey, oofouey, west ill, south ill...sorry...if hemakes a move hes gonna make a big move.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Include the MVFC and I'd put it at a 50/50 chance.

no way...too unstable...the rug gets pulled out from under the slummit and or mvfc and und is back to begging for a conference...drop non core bsc sports and womens hockey and we are good to go...maybe even to the wac fbs?

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no way...too unstable...the rug gets pulled out from under the slummit and or mvfc and und is back to begging for a conference...drop non core bsc sports and womens hockey and we are good to go...maybe even to the wac fbs?

200_s.gif

It's funnier when it's just SV saying it.

• Upvote 1

Someone chime in here but I think the untouchable sports are: M Hockey, Football, M&W Basketball, Volleyball. 

Everything else should be on the table for debate. We still have too many sports at 19. Texas has 18 and one of the largest athletic budgets around. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

They should be out from under the Idalski contract after this season, so there's a start.  

Exactly..........dude makes more than gfhockey.  That's saying something!

• Upvote 3

I said when the first cuts were made that it wasn't enough. 

Has anyone heard how the fundsraising for men's golf is going or is this the answer to that question also? 

I'm thinking M/W S&D should be concerned. I'm thinking non-core Big Sky sports should be concerned. 

As far as "conference alignment" unless there is an offer from the MVFC plus Summit there is nothing to talk about .... Unless there is something wild, radical, and new to talk about. 

• Upvote 1