SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

Just now, CMSB95 said:

That's what I'm reading.  It talks about the budget shortfall and talks about Mark Kennedy, so I doubt it's from 2010...

The article from the blog is from recently. The information they are using to cite a Summit site visit and base their claims off of is from 2010 (which UND eventually canceled due to being accepted into the Big Sky).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

Perhaps the link is bad.  If you read the article, you can tell its talking about the present state of UND athletics.

Yep, the problem is the the article is based on a site visit that happened six years ago.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They might be cut but it will have nothing to do with the WAC, which I want to point out requires men's soccer and baseball. Pretty bold strategy for UND to cut baseball if a move to the WAC was imminent. It is almost like Ed Schafer wasn't aware of this whole WAC thing.

UMKC doesn't have baseball.

NMSU doesn't have mens soccer.  The WAC has plenty of MWC teams in that sport.

What is the point of athletic at UND? I am not sure we could get a majority consensus on this board much less the university. Is the point of athletics to win championships? Is the point to provide opportunities for student athletes in our local communities to have a place to continue playing while receiving an education? Is the point to provide cheap entertainment for the local community? In the real world these this are not exclusive... However what if they were? What would you pick?

Me personally, I think the point of athletics is for the student athletes. I think that being student athletes allows them an incredible experience. They learn how to manage their time, support the community, all while excelling at their particular sport. More often than not they are excellent members of the community and the Academic community as well. They provide good role models.

1 minute ago, CMSB95 said:

Well the article I just read talks about President Kennedy...so pretty sure that's new

The DU article does, yes, but they messed up. In the third paragraph of that article, It goes:

The Summit League has already scheduled a visit to the UND campus November 1st-2nd, which can be reasonably construed as “serious interest” by both parties.

The word "visit" is linked to this press release from 2010, http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205006602. Either they linked the wrong article, or they based their entire article off of an old press release.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

The DU article does, yes, but they messed up. In the third paragraph of that article, It goes:

The Summit League has already scheduled a visit to the UND campus November 1st-2nd, which can be reasonably construed as “serious interest” by both parties.

The word "visit" is linked to this press release from 2010, http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205006602. Either they linked the wrong article, or they based their entire article off of an old press release.

I hadn't clicked on the "visit" link initially and only read the article.  I left a comment for the blogger.  He seems to still think a move to the Summit is a "done deal" but doesn't have any sources or info.  Appears he was just speculating...

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

UMKC doesn't have baseball.

NMSU doesn't have mens soccer.  The WAC has plenty of MWC teams in that sport.

NMSU was grandfathered in because soccer wasn't a required sport until the WAC cut football, long after NMSU was in the conference.

No clue why UMKC isn't required to sponsor baseball but I also don't have a clue why they joined in the first place. Other schools were required to add it when they joined, so there is an explanation out there somewhere.

So one school has a waiver on one of the 6 required core sports. Somehow that means UND will get a waiver on 2 of the 6, including one that they just dropped even though this plan has long been in motion. Excuse me if I'm having a hard time believing that.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

NMSU was grandfathered in because soccer wasn't a required sport until the WAC cut football, long after NMSU was in the conference.

No clue why UMKC isn't required to sponsor baseball but I also don't have a clue why they joined in the first place.

So one school has a waiver on one of the 6 required core sports. Somehow that means UND will get a waiver on 2 of the 6, including one that they just dropped even though this plan has long been in motion. Excuse me if I'm having a hard time believing that.

Conferences without football need two men's team sports besides bball.

An FCS WAC won't have any sports requirement except the obvious fb and bb.  It's really simple.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Conferences without football need two men's team sports besides bball.

An FCS WAC won't have any sports requirement except the obvious fb and bb.  It's really simple.

So you are saying that the WAC will change its core sport requirements?

1 minute ago, Westside said:

The only other avenue to saving $$ that I see is to lessen the travel costs.  Summit anyone?  

Also there is talk that the Big Sky would consider us for a football only membership.  That would reduce travel costs for their other sports.

14 minutes ago, Sioux63 said:

UND staff just received an email.   ALL sports are safe!

Makes no sense!  Did some of these sports lose out on recruiting because of the this 3 Ring circus?

It seems more and more the Academic Elite are in love with bureaucratic procedure and committees,  but lack the common sense of a gnat.  So the next press conference we can expect is that they decided to remove a couple sports after all. 

53 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I hadn't clicked on the "visit" link initially and only read the article.  I left a comment for the blogger.  He seems to still think a move to the Summit is a "done deal" but doesn't have any sources or info.  Appears he was just speculating...

Yeah, he very well could end up being correct, but he was for sure taking liberties with displaying the info like he did. Very confusing.