SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND (#9) is currently 13-4-2 against teams not in the PairWise top 4.  Unfortunately we're 1-6-1 against those top 4 teams.

Then you look at a team like Penn State (#5).  They're currently 0-0-0 against teams in the top 10 and 2-3-1 against teams between 11 and 16.  They're 1-0-1 against teams between 16 and 30 and 13-1-0 against teams ranked 30 or worse.

Just thought this was interesting.

Their RPI right now (the biggest factor in PWR) is all about their winning percentage (and not their opponent's). 

On 1/31/2017 at 6:15 PM, UNDBIZ said:

UND (#10) is currently 15-5-1 against teams not in the PairWise top 4, including 6-2 against teams 5 through 16.  Unfortunately we're 0-6-2 against those top 4 teams.

Then you look at a team like Penn State (#11).  They're currently 0-2-0 against teams in the top 16.  They're 3-3-2 against teams between 17 and 24 and 13-1-0 against teams ranked 25 or worse.

Just thought this was interesting.

Updated

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Grilled? About what? Taking players away from the CHL?

No.  The hosts were wondering why Boeser hasnt been doing well.  They were inquiring how boeser's skating is, why he hasnt been scoring on the PP.  He did note that the plan was that Boeser is leaving after the year.  Long story short, they wanted to know why Boeser has been underachieving so much this year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

No.  The hosts were wondering why Boeser hasnt been doing well.  They were inquiring how boeser's skating is, why he hasnt been scoring on the PP.  He did note that the plan was that Boeser is leaving after the year.  Long story short, they wanted to know why Boeser has been underachieving so much this year.

Maybe they should ask the Canucks why they are underachieving this year. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I'll have to check out the interview, they are asking questions that I've been wondering as well!

I wonder what the whole story will be about Boesser next year ? 

Is he still elite player ?

Did he develop at all this year ?

Was he hurt more than we know ?

Did we not have the play makers he has had in recent past ?

If not hurt that bad will he just fade away or become the elite scorer we saw last year ?

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

I wonder what the whole story will be about Boesser next year ? 

Is he still elite player ?

Did he develop at all this year ?

Was he hurt more than we know ?

Did we not have the play makers he has had in recent past ?

If not hurt that bad will he just fade away or become the elite scorer we saw last year ?

It's a good question.  Barring an unknown injury, I don't think he'll be ready for the NHL next year.  He may need a year in the A similar to Brock Nelson.  Boeser has an unreal shot (even by NHL standards) but his release is pretty slow which is why so many of his shots get blocked.  He also needs to work on his puck retreival (D game). I honestly think he is a perfect example of a player that needs to stay another year.....but he won't.  It's unfortunate that these kids get pushed so fast.  And don't think this is a knock on Boeser, the kid's elite.  I just think (based on what I've seen from him this year) he could use at least one more year.  Kids that make it to the NHL out of the gate dominate college hockey.  Also, there's nothing wrong with playing in the A for a year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Without Brock Boeser, we don't win those 2 games at W. Michigan last year (and natty #8).  I expect a good weekend for him and the boys at Western after a timely week of rest.

This is stuff I should just leave alone, but what are you even talking about with your first sentence? People discuss what's going on with Boeser, why he isn't performing like last year and you write like people want him off the team or wish he never came here. I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that first sentence, really taking a stand.

As Schloss noted over the weekend, the makeup of Olympic rosters next year could be a determining factor for a lot of high NHL draft picks. 

The possibility of making a U.S. Olympic Team if NHL players are out of the picture is intriguing to many.  I would have to think Boeser is among them since he missed out on Gold with the Juniors in January.

5 hours ago, Fetch said:

This weekend may prove can this team ever all get their sh!t together at the same time as time is running out

You know what?   With this team, I think this weekend is this weekend.  They are capable of beating anybody, and that means anything can happen in the tournament,  but I don't see them turning it on and becoming "that team."  They just don't have the horses for that this year.   I'm still optimistic, believe it or not.   They can play with the best, and Cam is capable of a run.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, burd said:

You know what?   With this team, I think this weekend is this weekend.  They are capable of beating anybody, and that means anything can happen in the tournament,  but I don't see them turning it on and becoming "that team."  They just don't have the horses for that this year.   I'm still optimistic, believe it or not.   They can play with the best, and Cam is capable of a run.  

I agree this is a big weekend.  A sweep would set us up for possibly finishing with a very high seed, while anything less than a split probably knocks us off the bubble, at least for now.

However, as for the team making a run, I think all we have to do is get in.  At least half the team has got a bunch of NCAA tournament games under their belt.  Ending up in the same region as UMD would be tough, but any other draw does not scare me.  We can play and beat teams like Denver, MN, Harvard, etc..., especially in Fargo.

You can look back to a year like 2004-05.  We were 15-10-3 at the end of January (compared to 15-11-3 today).  We played about .500 hockey from there to the end of the regular season.  I think we even had a losing record in the regular season after Christmas that year.

But the team got on a bit of a roll in the first round against Duluth, finished 3rd in St. Paul, and rode the coattails of a strong WCHA into the tournament.  I see no reason why this team can't do the same.

I truly believe this week off is going to change the trajectory of the season and I couldn't be more optimistic. UND was in a funk like I haven't seen in a long time in the last 6. Nothing was going in for them, nothing. On the other end, unlucky / fluke goals by the other team. They get to rest up, get Jost back, I think this team is going on a run. Like others have said, I think this team is just as talented as anyone else. I like them in any game, just got to get to Fargo!

Think they sweep this weekend.

3 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I agree this is a big weekend.  A sweep would set us up for possibly finishing with a very high seed, while anything less than a split probably knocks us off the bubble, at least for now.

However, as for the team making a run, I think all we have to do is get in.  At least half the team has got a bunch of NCAA tournament games under their belt.  Ending up in the same region as UMD would be tough, but any other draw does not scare me.  We can play and beat teams like Denver, MN, Harvard, etc..., especially in Fargo.

You can look back to a year like 2004-05.  We were 15-10-3 at the end of January (compared to 15-11-3 today).  We played about .500 hockey from there to the end of the regular season.  I think we even had a losing record in the regular season after Christmas that year.

But the team got on a bit of a roll in the first round against Duluth, finished 3rd in St. Paul, and rode the coattails of a strong WCHA into the tournament.  I see no reason why this team can't do the same.

To be honest I think if this team played UMD in regionals that UND would come out on top. It's tough to win 5 straight games against a team that is ranked in the top 15... Look what happened last year, we swept UMD twice and finally lost that 5th game at the NCHC frozen faceoff tournament.. which we all know the sioux don't fare well in that tournament. But again I wouldn't mind playing them at regions just for the reason that I think we wouldn't lose to them for a 5th time. 

21 minutes ago, Randy Lahey said:

To be honest I think if this team played UMD in regionals that UND would come out on top. It's tough to win 5 straight games against a team that is ranked in the top 15... Look what happened last year, we swept UMD twice and finally lost that 5th game at the NCHC frozen faceoff tournament.. which we all know the sioux don't fare well in that tournament. But again I wouldn't mind playing them at regions just for the reason that I think we wouldn't lose to them for a 5th time. 

You make a good point, but Duluth is a very, very good team. Mature, deep and consistent, and in all but one of their losses it's been by a margin of one goal. They're a better team. Things can happen in the postseason with everything on the line but I'd be very worried if we matched up with them in the regional.

41 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

You make a good point, but Duluth is a very, very good team. Mature, deep and consistent, and in all but one of their losses it's been by a margin of one goal. They're a better team. Things can happen in the postseason with everything on the line but I'd be very worried if we matched up with them in the regional.

Better chances of victory in Fargo vs Chicago with the Dawgs!