SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four in Tampa

Cratter

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Demko was a reach to be a finalist much less win it.

He had 7 shutouts against the worst teams (Wisconsin, CCx2, Mainex2, and UMassx2). He shutout Vermont and the only teams with a winning record he shutout were Notre Dame and BU.

1 hour ago, jdlooney said:

I hear there is a parking ramp attached to the arena?  Good bars around the area?  I actually got a decent price for a flight into and out of Gainesville so I will be doing the Hertz thing.

Parked there yesterday for $12. Fergs should be the place to be tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxperDave said:

Parked there yesterday for $12. Fergs should be the place to be tomorrow.

Really liked the set-up at Fergs.  So much more space that being stuck indoors in colder weather locations.  Loved the huge screen to keep an eye on the other game, as well.

Everything in Tampa has been amazing thus far.  The only exception is the debacle of emptying the arena between games.  I asked security staff if there was a way for me to get in early so I wasn't hurt by the crowds (just had shoulder surgery and it's in a sling).  He said "just hang back and go in after the rush."  So I can miss puck drop?  No thanks....  Thankfully, he said I could use the accessibility entrance so it wasn't so hectic!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

He had 7 shutouts against the worst teams (Wisconsin, CCx2, Mainex2, and UMassx2). He shutout Vermont and the only teams with a winning record he shutout were Notre Dame and BU.

This is precisely why awards like this are so overrated. They are subjective and based on market size and media coverage, or lack thereof. The title that really matters will be awarded tomorrow night.

• Upvote 3

The committee won't pick a goalie that doesn't live up to Miller's numbers; they've proven that time and time again.  The committee also rarely gives it to a freshman; no way they do it 2 years in a row. 

That leaves Vesey.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

About to board back to Fargo. Tampa/Amalie Arena was an outstanding venue for the F4. The NCAA should think about having the F4 in Tampa every 3 year at a minimum.

I was sick the entire time I was here so I'd love to come back so I could enjoy it outside of the hockey stuff a bit more. I'd probably stay a week! 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

About to board back to Fargo. Tampa/Amalie Arena was an outstanding venue for the F4. The NCAA should think about having the F4 in Tampa every 3 year at a minimum.

Just like any tourney, it only works if you have a great fanbase like UND follow it.  How many of the UND fans booked the trip before they made it to the frozen four?  What was attendance there last time they hosted?

4 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Just like any tourney, it only works if you have a great fanbase like UND follow it.  How many of the UND fans booked the trip before they made it to the frozen four?  What was attendance there last time they hosted?

2012 championship game: 18,818; 2016 championship game: 19,358 (3rd highest all-time, trails 2007 championship by less than 100.  Hard to see 2010 in Ford Field ever being beat with 37k)

I read the semi-finals were slightly higher in 2012, but cannot find the article.

2012 participants were BC, Minnesota, Ferris St., and Union.   So two big schools, and two small schools.

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Would  bet Glendale, Phoenix, Orlando, Dallas, and San Jose put in bids for the Frozen Four.  The Tampa Bay Times had a story on the number of college Big Draws that were upcoming.  Sounds like they are booked until 2020, but they hope to host again by 2022.